orange county california OC questions

This is a discussion on orange county california OC questions within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; firs things first. i am very new to open carry and have been reading alot about the issue and all the laws about OC. second ...

Thread: orange county california OC questions

firs things first.
    i am very new to open carry and have been reading alot about the issue and all the laws about OC. second i know that i will never be able to get a CCW due to my counties new sheriff who as soon as she got in office revoked many CCW's.
    so it looks like OC is the only way to go for me.

just wondering how many or if there are any people who post on this forum who has any info,"tips", or suggestions about OC in orange county.

have been reading alot on opencarry.org and heard a few stories but i am looking for more i guess.
    g-troop

Detox, welcome to the group from Las Vegas, Nevada. I sympathize with your not being able to get a CC permit. As you have discovered all too well, getting a permit can be very challenging. But, I'm not from CA so I can't really make any suggestions as to how you might be able to acquire one. I'm sure there are some members in this forum who can provide you with better information. Just be a little patient!

As to OC, you might want to join if you already haven't joined is "Calguns.net" This is a group that has more info on the legal loopholes to OC within California. They have regular events where residents OC on a regular basis. From my limited knowledge of OC is CA you are required to have your handgun in a holster at the hip with NO MAGAZINE in the weapon. You can carry a magazine on the opposite side of your body. But I would check with the "Calguns" group for better information. They have very knowledgeable members that can give you better information.

Again, you need to join the "Calguns" group and ask you questions there for the legal issues of OC in California. Welcome to the group!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Well, i will tell you as a retired peace officer who resides in OC as well as lived in OC for many years, if you wear a unloaded weapon in a holster, you are going to be seeing a few cops pointed loaded weapons at you unless they got the open carry memo. I know OCSD is aware of this, im not sure how Anaheim, Costa Mesa, Newport or Huntington Beach would react to it. Most likely HBPD will be pretty extreme on it, but i would be willing to test the waters. It will only take one incident before the news spreads and they get briefed on how to handle it.

You cannot carry a loaded weapon in a holster in OC as a non peace officer obviously. Secondly, you cannot carry a concealed weapon in OC without a CCW. I'd like to see this group who does it. It would be entertaining to sit back with popcorn and watch the show as the cops arrived on scene. Im aware of open holstering but for me, what actually happens if you end up in an incident where you did have to load the weapon and shoot. IE: Robbery, Car Jacking, etc?

CA has a funny way of resubmitting Penal Code updates. It will be a matter of time before California does the following:

A) Relaxes on the distribution of CCW's ( most likely not going to happen )
    B) Changes the law to restrict open carry. ( Possible because of the liberals )
    C) Just accepts it and creates a new Penal Code for it, but more then likely, outlines the ammunition cannot be of xx distance of weapon. ( possible as well )

I'd say go for it... where abouts in OC are you located? I'd be willing to join you.

i live in anaheim 91 and glassell area. as soon as everything is all clear on my side i would be more than down to see how the OC can handle OC.

@Pikachu711 i am definitely a member of calguns, why i did not put that down is beyond me. thanks for your info. whats the deal with OC in Nevada. if i have a Ca lisc and the gun is Obviously registered in my name can i OC in nevada?
    i will be heading twards vegas and surrounding areas next month and dont feel like being un protected

thanks for everything guys
    g-troop

To open carry in Ca you will need to follow the rules.

Rule one - MUST BE in a belt holster carried at the waist and visible.
    Rule two - MUST BE unloaded if in an incorporated area.

Also: You cannot carry within a prohibited area. Post office, govt buildings, or within 1000 ft (via the street & not beeline) of a school.

In unincorporated areas, you cannot carry a loaded firearm in your car, on a public street, OR in an area in which discharge of a firearm is prohibited. These are in addition to the above rules but only apply in unincorporated areas.

You cannot have a loaded mag in your pocket but it's OK in a VISIBLE mag carrier on your belt. (This is a policy thing as the law does not expressly "prohibit" this but most LEO are enforcing this pursuant to, IMO, a very vague case law opinion on the issue.)

Expect to be stopped and questioned. Carry a voice activated tape recorder. (You will need this eventually.) Be EXTREMELY POLITE and non confrontational. Dress nicely instead of in ratty clothes. Carry some cash and a cell phone. Be sure there is someone you can call AND TALK TO in case you are arrested. Carry copies of the case law and relevant decisions on open carry. (You can get this at the OC websites.) I would also recommend that you start by tagging along with an OC group outing to get the feel of it before going out on your own.

private schools are also part of the 1000 ft school law correct?
    g-troop

Links