Will Florida ever allow Open Carry?

This is a discussion on Will Florida ever allow Open Carry? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any Floridians out there with thoughts on this?...

Thread: Will Florida ever allow Open Carry?

Will Florida ever allow Open Carry?

Any Floridians out there with thoughts on this?

2. Remove Ads

I wish they would, i live in Jacksonville.

I wish they would. I'd like nothing better than to have a nice .45 strapped to my side vs. trying to find something that I can realistically hide. It would solve a lot of things, but I guess that always opens up another door.

After reading the new rules of this message board I suggest taking the Florida OC talk to here ~~~> Florida - Stories From The States - OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum

Good luck with that.

Not a chance that our legislators would do such a thing. Open carry would scare away those who worship at the Altar of Disney and the other tourist traps, and there's not a snowball's chance in Hell of us risking losing tourism dollars, especially now, when money for the state's coffers is so lean.
    I'll take a .45 and a large side of JHPs, please.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I think it is possible that Florida may allow open carry. Maybe ten to fifteen years ago, people would have never thought we would get to where we are now when it comes to concealed carry. Our fight to keep and bear arms has always been an uphill battle, but we have gained a lot of ground. The open carry movement is a growing one as more and more people choose to take responsibility for their own safety and security.

I am going to remain optimistic and say that one day all 50 states will eventually have right to carry laws, castle doctrines, and maybe open carry will become a common sight as it was back in the 19th century.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I would love to see FL allow OC...there are only about a half a dozen states that allow CC only.
    Although I would still CC most of the time, OC would provide some more comfortable times in the heat, eliminate the need to worry about exposure, and certainly help with desensitizing the .
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by vanilla_gorilla View Post
    Good luck with that.

Not a chance that our legislators would do such a thing. Open carry would scare away those who worship at the Altar of Disney and the other tourist traps, and there's not a snowball's chance in Hell of us risking losing tourism dollars, especially now, when money for the state's coffers is so lean.
    All very valid points and most likely true. But having been born in raised here I remember the hysteria when CC was passed. I was in college out of state at the time and people seriously asked / or thought that we walked around like cowboys with guns on our hips. Times have changed and am hopeful but probably know it won't happen.

Ron
    I doubt it, as well, but would still carry concealed. It would, however, relieve the concern of many about printing.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Exclamation open carry in Fla.

An open carry policy would just have the "clean" thugs (if there are any) having the biggest legal and sometimes not legal tucked in their waistband. I think the element of surprise is a definate advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by DAGLOCK View Post
    I think the element of surprise is a definate advantage.
    Bingo

Quote Originally Posted by DAGLOCK View Post
    An open carry policy would just have the "clean" thugs (if there are any) having the biggest legal and sometimes not legal tucked in their waistband. I think the element of surprise is a definate advantage.
    This is usually a big debate topic, the element of surprise. What if carrying in plain site caused the BG to actually look for another victim figuring he didn't want to take his chances against someone they saw that could actually shoot back, might be better trained, or was confident enough to announce that they were carrying by having it in sight? BG usually look for easy targets. It is funny cops never get mugged, or robbed. Wonder if the uniform and being visibly armed has anything to do with that? Yet, on an off duty day in plain clothes the same cop might possibly be viewed as just another opportunity ending in an actual confrontation. In my opinion the surprise would be on the face of the criminals in this state if 600,000 CWP holders were walking around visibly armed. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSaber View Post
    I'd like nothing better than to have a nice .45 strapped to my side vs. trying to find something that I can realistically hide.
    You can still accomplish this with a gun belt and holster. You would be surprised what you can carry concealed. I'm able to carry a .40 Cal. on a regular basis and no one knows...

Quote Originally Posted by puncho View Post
    You can still accomplish this with a gun belt and holster. You would be surprised what you can carry concealed. I'm able to carry a .40 Cal. on a regular basis and no one knows...
    Can I borrow your belt?

Links