Open carrying a rifle/shotgun...

This is a discussion on Open carrying a rifle/shotgun... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; was reading a thread over on Glocktalk with the following picture in it... . Anyways I was wondering if anyone else OC's a rifle or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open carrying a rifle/shotgun...

was reading a thread over on Glocktalk with the following picture in it...

Anyways I was wondering if anyone else OC's a rifle or shotgun? If it is legal, why not? I am beginning to think that having the most firepower might not be a bad thing.

So does anyone else OC a longarm? What kind of challenges do you face? I expect it to be cumbersome and a pain to sit with while in restaurants. Are there any suggestions? I am thinking a tactical 3 point sling.

As a side note, I cannot do it here in IL but I am thinking about when I visit family in free states where people can. The only one I have is my Mossberg 590 shotgun.

I have had a change of heart in light of the recent Pittsburg shooting and am thinking that I should start arming myself as much as possible. My buddy might sell me his AR15 which might be a better choice than a shotgun.

I have no idea on this one, is it legal? AFAIK here in MI to transport any weapon you have to have it cased and the ammunition separated. That goes for anything, especially during hunting season as to combat poaching. Our version of the "CCW" is a CPL. Which is a concealed PISTOL license. Not sure if OC'ing a long arm is legal or not. If I'm going into an area where that much firepower is needed, then DON'T GO THERE...simple as that.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

In Texas it is legal to openly carry a "non-assult" stuyle rifle, it is however not a very smart thing to do. I have a feeling, no matter how legal it may be, one would get stopped a lot carrying in the manner in the picture. That is not the same as a gun rack in a truck, but I bet he is allowed to merge in traffic with no questions
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

In TN our permit is a Handgun Carry Permit. It allows you to carry a handgun only. No long guns and in fact, the permit doesn't even make it legal to carry a baton, stun gun or other weapon. There are other traning courses required to legally carry those types of weapons. So, I doubt that carrying a long gun of any kind openly in TN would be legal.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

For those who like to open carry, more power to you and carry on. I'm not here to argue about the merits or disadvantages of OC.

Personally, I've never been a fan of OC, whether it be handgun or long gun. I prefer the element of surprise, which OC doesn't give me. Concealed carry also spares me harassment from LEO's, business owners etc.

Not to mention the danger of advertising to every hood in the area that I have a gun.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    In Texas it is legal to openly carry a "non-assult" stuyle rifle, it is however not a very smart thing to do. I have a feeling, no matter how legal it may be, one would get stopped a lot carrying in the manner in the picture. That is not the same as a gun rack in a truck, but I bet he is allowed to merge in traffic with no questions
    I've never heard of any TX law that differentiates between EBR and non-EBR types of long guns. It is legal in TX to OC long guns, but doing so in a city will likely get you more attention than you want.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

VIP Member
    Legal in/on a vehicle in most of Virginia.

Legal on foot anywhere except the listed places, such as K-12 schools and grounds, Court houses, detention facilities, etc
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Legal in/on a vehicle in most of Virginia.

Legal on foot anywhere except the listed places, such as K-12 schools and grounds, Court houses, detention facilities, etc
    Legal on a motorcycle, but living in NC I usually get to VA a few times a year, and know from experience that your Smokies up there would almost certainly stop and at least question you about carrying a shotgun across your back.

I don't need that kind of attention, thus prefer to carry a concealable firearm.

However, anybody who thinks differently is certainly entitled to do whatever they want. I won't dispute their right to do so in places where it's legal.

[QUOTE=Oldskoolfan;1251198]was reading a thread over on Glocktalk with the following picture in it...
    [/IMG].

Crap. I didn't know I was printing.

[QUOTE=cz2075bd;1251785]
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
    was reading a thread over on Glocktalk with the following picture in it...
    [/IMG].

Crap. I didn't know I was printing.
    Who makes your holster?

I would bet that it takes him a long time to get home,the 911 calls about a man with a gun on the freeway would be endless,I do remember about 30 years ago I went dove hunting on my motorcycle with my 12 gauge strapped to it in a gun case
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If it is legal in your state, why would you get any more attention than if you were open carrying a pistol?

I must say that I really like the picture though, looks like something straight out of the movies.

It does look like Mad Max.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Defensive Arms View Post
    Legal on a motorcycle, but living in NC I usually get to VA a few times a year, and know from experience that your Smokies up there would almost certainly stop and at least question you about carrying a shotgun across your back.

I don't need that kind of attention, thus prefer to carry a concealable firearm.

However, anybody who thinks differently is certainly entitled to do whatever they want. I won't dispute their right to do so in places where it's legal.
    Didn't say it was smart -- just legal.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links