Pulled over for speeding.

This is a discussion on Pulled over for speeding. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Driving the mini van of all things. I was coming back from the gun shop, it was closed so I couldn't pick up the SP22 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulled over for speeding.

Pulled over for speeding.

Driving the mini van of all things. I was coming back from the gun shop, it was closed so I couldn't pick up the SP22 I dropped off to be fixed. I pick up dinner for the family and head back home. Lot of cars on the Interstate and I end up in the fast lane passing a long string. Somewhere in that string was the State Trooper in an unmarked car.

Now I know I was speeding and I know its a violation, needless to say this isn't the first time I've been pulled over.

The officer pulls in behind me and just as I'm pulling back into the slow lane on come the lights. Pulling over I switch off the ignition and put the keys on the dash and put my hands high on the wheel. He approaches and stays behind me while asking for my license and registration. This is where I inform him I have a weapon. Well his eyes bulged a bit and I see in the side view that he has drawn his weapon, I puckered a bit at that point.

First he asks where the weapon is and I respond by saying it's on my strong side. Then he asks if I have a permit, which I responded in the affirmative. He asks for it and I inform him that it's in my front pocket on my strong side, emphasizing that my weapon is in very close proximity to that pocket. At this point I think he realized (or at least I hope) that I was a "good guy" since after I told him I was a little apprehensive about putting my hand that close to my weapon (while having the wrong end of a Glock pointed in my direction) that as long as I didn't to anything too quickly or even touch my weapon I wouldn't get shot.

When it was all said and done he dropped the speeding down to a moving violation with no points as a gift (his words). He even told me he appreciated being informed that I was carrying.

Just goes to show that being a law abiding citizen (well all but that speeding part) pays off.

I unpuckered put the van in drive and headed home, thankful that a) I didn't get shot and b) that he dropped the ticket down.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Sounds like it went well. Why not just hand him the license and permit when he asked for ID? To say you have a weapon first might have caused alarm.

I've never heard of a 'moving violation without points', but that's OK.

It sounds like things worked out well for you, and the officer did not pull you out of the car and empty your weapon.
    No points, Mmmmm...that works for me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

my CCW instructor gave good advice on notification. Always tell them "I have a concealed carry license and I'm carrying a firearm." if you do it in that order they freak out a bit less.

Edit: oops sorry this is the open carry forum. never mind me : D

Distinguished Member
    Would you do anything different next time?

Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    Would you do anything different next time?
    Other than the speeding home with dinner that is!!

VIP Member
    I don't know PA requirements about notification, but I agree that going forward it would make sense to hand the officer both your license and permit and tell the officer that you are carrying.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

(Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

I agree your words could have been put in a better way. I just got pulled a few weeks ago, as soon as the cop came to the window I said " I have a Concealed carry permit and I am currently armed on my right side" Still got busted for 77 in a 65, but the cop thanked me for telling him about the weapon. Never asked to see the gun, unload it or anything, by then they figure you are a good guy.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I think its all about the words you use and how you present them. " I have a weapon " sounds like I'm making a statement, vs. " just wanted to let you know I have a CHP and do have my firearm with me" is more like notifying.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Yep make sure you say I have a concealed handgun permit first,that will reduce the pucker factor slightly,If you were puckering just think how much he puckered when he heard gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It's the order in which you say things that make a difference. When I was first married, I would ask my passenger/wife if I could pull out of a side road with an obstructed view, and she would say, "It's clear, after this Semi". I told her we would all be alot better off if she would say "After this Semi, it's clear".
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBear View Post
    and she would say, "It's clear, after this Semi". I told her we would all be alot better off if she would say "After this Semi, it's clear".
    Here's how my wife gives me directions... "See that road coming up on the right... don't turn there."

I ended up buying a GPS Navigation system shortly after.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    Sounds like it went well. Why not just hand him the license and permit when he asked for ID? To say you have a weapon first might have caused alarm.
    That's what I thought. I've talked to a few CCW holders around here and every one of them has told me even though it isn't required in this state they inform the officer by saying that they have a concealed carry permit before making mention that they are currently carrying. I've never been pulled over while carrying, or even pulled over in the last 4 or more years, but if I do this will be how I will approach the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by CenCal View Post
    Here's how my wife gives me directions... "See that road coming up on the right... don't turn there."

I ended up buying a GPS Navigation system shortly after.
    My wife does the exact same thing . . .
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

kpw
    I might have related this story before but I know a guy that exited his car and told both officers approaching that "he had a gun." He had a nasty bruise from being slammed, face first onto his car. Along with a gun stuck in his ear.

Wording means a lot sometimes but all is well that ends well. Sounds like the trooper was cool about it.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links