Madison man ticketed for OC

This is a discussion on Madison man ticketed for OC within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hmmm??? a .9 caliber! hahaha maybe 9mm!...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Madison man ticketed for OC

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    hmmm??? a .9 caliber! hahaha maybe 9mm!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

2. Remove Ads

njr
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    Remember, this is a city that passed laws making sub 4" handguns and hollowpoint ammo illeagle.
    Really? When did this happen? I took a follow up to my ccw class north of Madison and the instructor never mentioned anything about this. I took the class last year.
    By the forests, behind the guns/In the streets and in the houses/Between the tanks, by the roadside/At the hands of the men, of the women, of the children/In the cold, in the dark, in hunger....

Bertolt Brecht, "To The German Soldiers In The East", stanza 9.

Quote Originally Posted by njr View Post
    Really? When did this happen? I took a follow up to my ccw class north of Madison and the instructor never mentioned anything about this. I took the class last year.
    You have CCW in Madison? Or Illinois?

25.02 POSSESSION OF SHORT-BARRELLED HANDGUNS PROHIBITED.
    (1) Statement of Intent. The Common Council of the City of Madison finds and determines that
    handguns play a major role in the commission of homicide, aggravated assault, and armed
    robbery, and accidental injury and death; that the easy and convenient availability of certain types
    of handguns has increased the potential for firearm-related deaths and injuries; and that in order
    to promote and protect the health, safety and welfare of the public it is necessary to regulate the
    possession of certain handguns which because of their size are particularly easy to conceal on or
    about the person, thereby making them extremely dangerous to the health, safety and security of
    the citizens of Madison and particularly dangerous in the hands of criminals. It is the intent of the
    Common Council, therefore, to prohibit the possession of short-barrelled handguns within the
    jurisdiction of the City of Madison.
    Last edited by ICTsnub; August 30th, 2009 at 11:30 PM. Reason: typo
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

The open carry movement in WI has gotten pretty big since WI's attorney general stated the OC in and of itself is not grounds for Disorderly Conduct.
    Wisconsin's absolute no-concealed-carry laws don't restrict the people from openly carrying, right? And the AG opinion, above, limits the ability of law enforcement from making ridiculous claims on an otherwise upstanding citizen simply going about their business, right?

===============

But then, there's nothing to stop law enforcement from interpreting openly carrying as disobedience or disorderly conduct or deliberately causing a public disturbence in spite of the fact he was simply following what the law allows a citizen to do.

Some will lambast this person's willingness to test the stupidity of the non-law in this case (of non-concealed carrying an unloaded firearm) and willingness to see how far the law enforcement shenanigans would go to disallow WI any and all ability to carry a firearm in the state.

From a cursory review of the basic carry statutes that seem to apply, it looks as though he's got every right to do what he did. And, if law enforcement is willing to call what he did as a disturbance or being disorderly or disobeying something, they'll certainly do it. But it doesn't change the ultimate lawfulness of what he did.

Until the people in WI get into law specific definitions and standards that disallow being cuffed and stuffed for simply going about their business as upstanding citizens, they'll keep being persecuted for this behavior. I wish them well in the fight.

I hope they can craft a sane path with their legislators. Upstanding citizens are NOT a threat. They're simply seeking a way to simultaneously be in a position to defend themselves from crime and to be seen as non-threatening.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Young Mr. Yates needs to rethink how he carrys. Loaded mag with an empty chamber is still an expensive paperweight.
    I'm sure he realized that carrying a loaded firearm would get him jailed and provide few options. I'm sure he wanted to test the limits of the non-law in the area of openly carrying an unloaded firearm. Let's just hope he wasn't running afoul of some administrative rule, muni ordinance or other specification that allows him to be branded a criminal.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

njr
    Thanks for the cite. No, I have a Utah CCW and intend to get my FL, which I shoulda gotten originally instead of UT.

Interesting that they don't cite a barrel legnth below but I guess my RAMI would probably be pistolus non-grata. I'll have to ask the instructor re the details on this.

Our instructor did say that WI law does allow (and I believe IL also, although I should doublecheck) you to have an unloaded, cased firearm with loaded mags in the same case, within reach, as long as the case is fastened and visible to others outside the vehicle, btw, if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    You have CCW in Madison? Or Illinois?

25.02 POSSESSION OF SHORT-BARRELLED HANDGUNS PROHIBITED.
    (1) Statement of Intent. The Common Council of the City of Madison finds and determines that
    handguns play a major role in the commission of homicide, aggravated assault, and armed
    robbery, and accidental injury and death; that the easy and convenient availability of certain types
    of handguns has increased the potential for firearm-related deaths and injuries; and that in order
    to promote and protect the health, safety and welfare of the public it is necessary to regulate the
    possession of certain handguns which because of their size are particularly easy to conceal on or
    about the person, thereby making them extremely dangerous to the health, safety and security of
    the citizens of Madison and particularly dangerous in the hands of criminals. It is the intent of the
    Common Council, therefore, to prohibit the possession of short-barrelled handguns within the
    jurisdiction of the City of Madison.
    By the forests, behind the guns/In the streets and in the houses/Between the tanks, by the roadside/At the hands of the men, of the women, of the children/In the cold, in the dark, in hunger....

Bertolt Brecht, "To The German Soldiers In The East", stanza 9.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links