No News is Good News (or A Real Cowboy)

This is a discussion on No News is Good News (or A Real Cowboy) within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I normally CC, but since I was going to an OC dinner get together, yesterday was an OC day. I went to FedEx/Kinko's, Starbucks, Staples, ...

Thread: No News is Good News (or A Real Cowboy)

No News is Good News (or A Real Cowboy)

I normally CC, but since I was going to an OC dinner get together, yesterday was an OC day. I went to FedEx/Kinko's, Starbucks, Staples, Best Buy (twice), Target, Walmart, and Pizzaria Uno. Nothing happened. Very few noticed, and those who did just took a quick look. No nasty looks. No snarky comments. Just a few smiles.

One funny thing happened. At Best Buy, I was squating down to see a low rack. A little boy, maybe 4 or 5, and his father walked up to look at something a little further down the aisle. I was basically at the boy's height and he was looking at my pistol. I normally wear a black Aussie hat, and yesterday was no exception. The little boy's eyes grew big as he looked at my pistol and his gaze slowly moved up to my face and hat. I stood up, and as I did, he turned to his dad and tugged on his pant leg. "Daddy!" he whispered loudly. "It's a REAL cowboy!". His dad and I looked at each other and smiled, and I walked off to look at something else. The look on the kid's face was priceless.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

2. Remove Ads

Good stuff. before I started OC'ing I had a kid ask me where my gun was because I had on a hat and boots. BTW, his was on his belt, capgun. The kid was all cowboyed up.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Good stuff. before I started OC'ing I had a kid ask me where my gun was because I had on a hat and boots. BTW, his was on his belt, capgun. The kid was all cowboyed up.
    Wow, do you remember those days? I did it as a kid and frankly, IMHO so few do it now.

I remember kids carrying 22 rifles around to shoot bottles and such. Fun times!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

VIP Member
    I've OC'd in many restaurants and stores in Richmond, nobody pays any attention or says anything. The other night I stopped at the West Broad WAWA. 2 of Henrico's finest were inside drinking free coffee and BS'ing. Walked right by them several times, they like everyone else, didn't bat an eye.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I'm sorry, but that is too cute! I wish I could have seen the kid's face :) Pure awesomeness!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

You are a real cowboy! Congrats! As long as you ain't one of them low down rustlers!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus View Post
    Wow, do you remember those days? I did it as a kid and frankly, IMHO so few do it now.

I remember kids carrying 22 rifles around to shoot bottles and such. Fun times!
    Before my grandmother passed she told me about going to school in her 1 room schoolhouse. All the kids walked to school. It was in the mountains of NC. She said all the boys brought their guns and hunted on the way home. They kept them leaning in the back corner of the class. How times have changed.

And yeah I remember, cowboys and indians, playing army, walking across the street to squirrel hunt. Carrying a gun a half mile to my friends so his dad could take us hunting. Nobody cared.

Thanks for the grin!

Yes, thanks for that one, it sure put a smile on my face just reading it.....

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Before my grandmother passed she told me about going to school in her 1 room schoolhouse. All the kids walked to school. It was in the mountains of NC. She said all the boys brought their guns and hunted on the way home. They kept them leaning in the back corner of the class. How times have changed.

And yeah I remember, cowboys and indians, playing army, walking across the street to squirrel hunt. Carrying a gun a half mile to my friends so his dad could take us hunting. Nobody cared.

I kinda wish I could go back to that time!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Great story. Gotta love kiddos!

To cool!

Good one, kid might think back on that the rest of his life. You could be that family's cowboy story.

Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus View Post
    I kinda wish I could go back to that time!
    I would just take 10 years.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Administrator
    Good Story Cowboy!

Links