Concerns about type of holster for OC

This is a discussion on Concerns about type of holster for OC within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll echo what others have said about OC holsters. The one feature you should be looking for is a good form of retention. All my ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Concerns about type of holster for OC

I'll echo what others have said about OC holsters. The one feature you should be looking for is a good form of retention. All my OC holsters have some form of effective retention. The last thing you want is your OC firearm falling into the wrong hands while you OC.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

2. Remove Ads

SERPA makes a great holster IMHO. I personally CC (recently a LITTLE OC here and there), but I DO use the serpa as it is one of the 2 most comfortable holsters I own, other being an uncle mikes shoulder rig.

-Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by kellyII View Post
    wonder how many of those offensive strikes its gonna take before his friend says thats enough of the elbows to my face

just thought that was kinda funny
    Yeah after you pointed that out it is funny and I'm sure the friendship would be strained,what I meant was no contact drills
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I thought of this thread today when I carried my SA 1911 LW Compact in a Brommeland Def-Con OWB.

I have had the holster for a couple of years and it is still so tight that I use KG-9 Leather Kote to make it easier to draw. I don't have a real problem with the draw, but it is very tight.
    I would defy anyone to just walk up and grab my gun and get it out of the holster. Several of my other leather holsters are similar in tightness. You must draw it from a certain angle to get it out of the holster.
    With such a holster there is no need for a retention device.

My holsters from Sparks, Nossar, and Rosen are the same way.

Regards,
    Jerry

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    I'll echo what others have said about OC holsters. The one feature you should be looking for is a good form of retention. All my OC holsters have some form of effective retention. The last thing you want is your OC firearm falling into the wrong hands while you OC.
    Hi Pikachu711,

See my post above, and I have to wonder if you have holsters by the makers I mentioned. If so, do you think there is any chance of your gun being jerked out of the holster by someone grabbing it?

All require the "wax paper" treatment so that you can draw the gun. I bought a Sparks Axiom for a compact 1911. The day I got it I got my Kimber compact and without thinking forced it into the holster. The instant I did that I thought "DUMB, DUMB."
    I was unable to get it out of the holster, and even with my wife could not get it out. I placed it in the safe and left it for over a day. I was finally able with a lot of strength to get the gun out of the holster. Even with the wax paper treatment it remains very tight and although smooth one must draw it from a particular angle and still use a fair amount of force.

There is just no way anyone is going to grab my gun and jerk it out of the holster.

Thanks,
    Jerry

It's not a bad idea to move your pocket knife (thumb flip) to your left (weak) side and learn how to flip it open with your left hand. If someone does try to get your gun, your right hand will be busy. Hard for someone to hang onto your gun if the tendons in their hand no longer work.

If the Serpa isn't your type of comfort, try the Bianchi Carryloc, I have two of them and carry OC and CC daily in them. Very comfortable, easily concealed, and a great retention system.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I don't oc but had to try I do wear a TTgunleater holster OWB @ 3:00. Unloaded and had a friend try to extract the firearm from behind we were doing this in slow motion and he could not get enough of an angle to pull the firearm out unless his body was actually touching mine it was easy for me to grab my Leek from the weak side flip it and have the advantage. But this brought on a problem for me I also edc a full size TDI at about 6:30 weak side palm out draw so it was easy for him to grab the TDI and go to town on me so now I am trying to figure out what to do with the TDI if I ever decide to OC probably will have to leave it at home... BTW no blood was shed during this little practice session so please don't beat up on me for using real blades.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links