Concerns about type of holster for OC

This is a discussion on Concerns about type of holster for OC within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Open carry question about type of holster commonly used. My concern is that someone could make a grab for my handgun – pull it out ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concerns about type of holster for OC

Open carry question about type of holster commonly used.
    My concern is that someone could make a grab for my handgun – pull it out of the holster if it does not have a retention device.
    Is that a concern for anyone else?? Obviously I need to be aware of my surroundings, but I don’t think it is possible to keep a 2-3 ft no person perimeter around me in crowded areas.
    I probably will not feel comfortable OCng until I get a holster w/ a retention device ie. Blackhawk serpa or something similar.
    Do you OC’ers use holsters w/ or w/o retention device/straps and why or why not??

Thanks
    Hayzor

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    Open carry question about type of holster commonly used.
    My concern is that someone could make a grab for my handgun – pull it out of the holster if it does not have a retention device.
    Is that a concern for anyone else?? Obviously I need to be aware of my surroundings, but I don’t think it is possible to keep a 2-3 ft no person perimeter around me in crowded areas.
    I probably will not feel comfortable OCng until I get a holster w/ a retention device ie. Blackhawk serpa or something similar.
    Do you OC’ers use holsters w/ or w/o retention device/straps and why or why not??

Thanks
    Hayzor
    I have a Blackhawk SERPA. It locks your gun in place and could probably hold your weight if you were hung upside down from it. Yet it easily can be drawn if needed. I would check it out.

In addition being aware of your surroundings is a bonus, and something you should always be doing. More so when you are OC.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I just got one today with the thumbreak. Personally, I try very hard to keep folks at at least 3 feet from me at all times. I don't like anyone in my "personal bubble" and if it's too crowded, I tend to leave. But yes, being aware goes a very long way when OCing. Also, how fast does someone have to be to grab your gun and get it out of its holster before you can reach down and stop them? (Note: Hammer Fist to the forearm tends to hit a very important nerve and should stop anyone in their tracks)

I hope that didn't come out sounding snotty, it wasn't meant to be. Just some thoughts.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I have open carried using a leather holster with nothing more than a screw that adjusts for retention. If you have good situational awareness and know what is going on around you at all times, someone wanting your gun probably won't try and reach for it. The Serpa holsters are popular for open carry due to their retention system.

FWIW I've never heard of any reports where someone open carrying was disarmed by another individual. If you're really concerned about retention you can get a level III duty holster which has at least two retention devices that need to be disengaged to draw the gun, and just attach it to a duty belt and use belt keepers. I personally do not like thumb breaks unless it is on a shoulder holster.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

kpw
    No, I don't like alternating drawing methods. If I regularly carried around large crowds, I'd consider it.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Well, in FL CC prevents one from displaying his firearm and thus retention in a crowd is not a problem.
    If in AZ, where OC is allowed, you could easily avoid your perceived difficulties by using a cover garment.
    As a civilian, I still would not worry about weapon retention when carried on the strong side. Awareness around you is important...I would not be concerned with someone focused upon grabbing my weapon as much as I would focus on that same person just getting too close to me.

Stay armed...stay alert and always have a 'plan'...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I almost never carry OC, but my holsters are tight enough so that if not grabbed at the correct angle the gun could not be drawn except with great force. If they could finally get the gun unholstered I would be in bad shape anyway. Not a worry for me when I do OC on the way to and from the range, and if I stop off for a sandwich on the way back.

I don't believe anyone could simply get close and grab my gun out of the holster. They are just too tight.

However, this is one of the objections to OC. Except for the range trips I do not OC.

Regards,
    Jerry

SERPA seems to be the way to go if you are worried about retention.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I stand constantly with my forearm on weapon when I am around anyone. A lot of times, I do it even when I trust everyone around. Before, I OCed in a SERPA and still did so.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    I use the same holster for OC as I do for CC. Always worn IWB so it is pulled in close to the body. My weapon fits tightly in the holster and is not easliy pulled from the holster unless pulled straight up. Pulling from the rear or the front makes it almost imposible to get the weapon out.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Do yourself and the movement a favor and grab a retention holster before you start OC'ing. Also a good idea is receiving professional training on the topic of retention.

VIP Member
    I use leather holsters at times when I OC. Both IWB holsters and belt holsters.
    I prefer to use a Comp-Tac paddle holster when I OC. I set the retention on it pretty tight so I have to give it a firm yank to draw.
    Never thought I'd like a paddle holster, but it carrys the weight much better than a belt holster. I can carry a 5 inch tactical and forget I have it on.
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

I carry in a Blackhawk serpa. That's OC or CC. I use the same holster for either to keep the same draw motion no matter my mode of carry.

I always try to keep people 3 of 4 feet away from me but realistically in public that is difficult to do.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I OC a G19 in a SERPA paddle holster. That thing is fast on the draw with a little practice. It's lightyears better than the thumb break strap holster I was using.

I'll preface this by saying I have seen one instance where a civilian was disarmed. Wish I could find the story again. Lots of mistakes made though. My point is that I was in an accident a few weeks ago. When the State Trooper arrived I asked if he wanted me to put my OC in the truck. He took 3 steps and disarmed me in a matter of seconds. I'm sure they practice, and if he was not a LEO I would have fought back. My point is that for someone who knew what they were doing it could happen quickly. It's not a big worry of mine, but worth mentioning.

I tend to keep my forearm in contact with my handgun. I try to position my handgun away from folks I do not know. I'll use shelves, carts or anything else to separate my handgun from a crowd. But definitely get some type of retention holster before OC'ing. And keep your SA up when in a crowd.

SERPA, thats a good start, then if you can take a course on weapon retention tactics,

I have a pretty good SA, and to this day if someone is walking or coming up behind me, I will stop move out of the way and let them pass. I know back in the states this is gonna be a transition that will require some work.

But I just dont like people behind me or people that I cant keep my eyes on..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links