A philosophical question - Open v Concealed

This is a discussion on A philosophical question - Open v Concealed within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've searched the forum and haven't found a thread on this topic. If one exists, please let me know. My question is a philosophical one ...

Thread: A philosophical question - Open v Concealed

I've searched the forum and haven't found a thread on this topic. If one exists, please let me know.

My question is a philosophical one with practical ramifications: is it better from a tactical point of view to open carry or conceal carry? Putting legal issues aside - for example, in some states where open carry is legal, you must open carry in certain locations or situations such as where alcohol is served - I see the issue being this: is open carry better because it serves as a deterrent and because access to the firearm is faster, or is concealed carry better because of the element of surprise?

Here in Israel, if you have a permit to carry, you carry open. I have seen some conceal their weapons when social conditions might warrant it - like during prayer services. But then, I've been at weddings and synagogues where there are people open carrying without a second thought.

Some people who open carry, have their weapon secured with some kind of retention device, so it can't be easily snatched. But most carry using IWB holsters.

To get back to the main question - if I open carry, am I creating a risky scenario where a BG might target me to try and relieve me of my weapon? Or is my open carry going to make the BG look elsewhere for a likely victim?

If you live in a state where you have both options, which one do you prefer? Or do you switch carry modes depending on the situation? With which mode do you feel most comfortable?

Thanks.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VR4
    If you see a bear are you going to go near it? There are some people that would take that chance but most will think twice before doing so. This is how I look at it. I OC everywhere I can. I do CC from time to time. Like my 13 year old daughters baseball games or 10 and 8 year old cheerleading practices. Other then that I OC as much as I can.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bentcursor View Post
    I've searched the forum and haven't found a thread on this topic. If one exists, please let me know.
    There isn't one...

From the forum header:

Open Carry Issues & Discussions Discussion regarding open carry in those States where it is legal to do so. This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry.

Links