'Need some "heavy gun" carry advice.

This is a discussion on 'Need some "heavy gun" carry advice. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been toting around some of my "smaller" guns (L-frame, GP-100, etc. . . /cough) since I received my perm., and I've stumbled upon an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Need some "heavy gun" carry advice.

I've been toting around some of my "smaller" guns (L-frame, GP-100, etc. . . /cough) since I received my perm., and I've stumbled upon an issue that has been on my mind a bit since I've been armed:

I need to know how tight to have the belt! :O

Yeah, it's probably a silly question, and I know it's one of those things only "you can really know", but I still want some peer advice, and peace of mind that I'm at least trying to do it right.

'K, so I've got the scabbard, belt and loader+pouch on the ready, and I have the rig up and ready to slip on. On the most comfortable hole, it sits good, but the gun can oft start to slide down about an inch or so when I begin to walk and move about. It's not a big deal really, I've been carrying it this way for the past week, but when I get home and look at it, it looks just a tad floppy.

Now, if I pull it up just a hair and yank the belt to the next hole, it's definitely up and in position. The retention is very positive and the slab doesn't feel like it wants to slouch or flip in the least. The trade-off is, it's really not that comfortable. Bearable and firm, but just not comfy.

Ideas? Thanks!

What's the quality of the belt? Is it a true gun/duty belt? That will make a huge difference in comfort, carry, retention, slippage, etc.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Your pants should stay up on their own merit. Your belt should be good enough to support the weight of the gun. The only real way to do this is to have a good, double layer or reinforced belt designed to carry the weight of the gun. A good belt will be very stiff and not allow the gun to sag.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Assuming you are using a good stiff gun belt, I personally wouldn't worry much about that inch as long as the gun is secure in the holster.
    Being a woman and having a curved shape and a short torso, I have to carry below the waist, more at the top of the hip, works best for me and lets the grip sort of tuck into my curves. I wear the belt as snug as is comfortable. I could physically put the belt on hole tighter, but doing so eliminates the options of sitting down and/or breathing.
    As long as the gun is secure and not flapping back and forth, letting it ride a little lower shouldn't be a problem, as long as your cover garment is long enough to cover the firearm.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by chemicalpoet View Post
    On the most comfortable hole, it sits good, but the gun can oft start to slide down about an inch or so when I begin to walk and move about.

Now, if I pull it up just a hair and yank the belt to the next hole, it's definitely up and in position. The retention is very positive and the slab doesn't feel like it wants to slouch or flip in the least. The trade-off is, it's really not that comfortable.
    This is why I like a belt like the Wilderness Instructor Belt that can be adjusted to any length, rather than being limited to holes that may be too tight and too loose.

A GOOD leather gun belt should keep the firearm tightly upright and still allow you to breathe comfortably. OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yep, all good leathers.

I guess some pictures might be necessary here.

In these, I have on an Aker B21 belt, dual layer+poly. insert, Aker holster and two Bianchi "agent slim" speed loader holders made to accommodate a pair of Safariland loaders.

Snug

Comfortable

As you can see, it's not that big a diff., but it's been on my mind.

Yeah, Rugergirl, not everyone can have your figure! :p

My .02... part of the issue I have is that I dont own enough different belts. let me explain. The belt, regardless of quality and "stiffness" will sag if the belt is not the right size for the belt loops. I run into this problem when wearing jeans. My jeans are 1.25 inch belt loops I believe, but my belts are all .75 or 1.0 inches thick! so I get some sag when carrying OWB. IWB is fine. My next purchase will be a 1.25 inch Galco or Bianchi belt. When I wear pants that have the corresponding belt loop size I don't have to worry about sag or droop.

Hope this helps.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Pants

Try raising your pants some. When Im carrying more weight, I go to a smaller setting on the belt and bring the waist line up just a bit.

Alex!

Quote Originally Posted by chemicalpoet View Post
    I've been toting around some of my "smaller" guns (L-frame, GP-100, etc. . . /cough) since I received my perm., and I've stumbled upon an issue that has been on my mind a bit since I've been armed:

I need to know how tight to have the belt! :O

Yeah, it's probably a silly question, and I know it's one of those things only "you can really know", but I still want some peer advice, and peace of mind that I'm at least trying to do it right.

'K, so I've got the scabbard, belt and loader+pouch on the ready, and I have the rig up and ready to slip on. On the most comfortable hole, it sits good, but the gun can oft start to slide down about an inch or so when I begin to walk and move about. It's not a big deal really, I've been carrying it this way for the past week, but when I get home and look at it, it looks just a tad floppy.

Now, if I pull it up just a hair and yank the belt to the next hole, it's definitely up and in position. The retention is very positive and the slab doesn't feel like it wants to slouch or flip in the least. The trade-off is, it's really not that comfortable. Bearable and firm, but just not comfy.

Ideas? Thanks!

Do not scrimp on your belt holster rig. Countless people will spend $1,000 + on that great custom gun and then go out and spend $20 on a belt and holster and can't figure out why they have problems carrying or it's uncomfortable or their rig sags.

You don't need to spend $250 or more on a custom holster, but you do get what you pay for. The right holster and belt combination you can wear all day long, day in and day out and the gun is almost glued to your side and it's comfortable to boot.

We have a link to a ton of holster makers here at DC forum and many of the greatest custom leather artists are members here to boot!

And again, do not scrimp on the gun belt either. It should be a purposely built as a gun holster. There are many fine belts out there but the one I own and have excellent luck with is from The Beltman which you can find here. I have the 1.5" double bullhide belt and it is awesome.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

With an OWB holster, I wear my belt adjusted to the same size that I wear it without a holster. This makes it a little snugger and stays put.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Looks to me like you aren't threading the belt through the belt loop behind the holster, which allows the increased downward deflection of the belt. It is a bit or a hassle to thread through that hiddlen loop, but the gun will be much more secure, speaking from experience.

C Paul Lincoln

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    My .02... part of the issue I have is that I dont own enough different belts. let me explain. The belt, regardless of quality and "stiffness" will sag if the belt is not the right size for the belt loops. I run into this problem when wearing jeans. My jeans are 1.25 inch belt loops I believe, but my belts are all .75 or 1.0 inches thick! so I get some sag when carrying OWB. IWB is fine. My next purchase will be a 1.25 inch Galco or Bianchi belt. When I wear pants that have the corresponding belt loop size I don't have to worry about sag or droop.

Hope this helps.
    Very good point. A wider belt will be a stronger belt, but if your belt doesn't fit the belt loops, a sewing friend or the local dry cleaner should be able to put in some tack-stitches to make the belt loops fit the belt. Great temporary solution and when you do get the wider belt the tack stitches can be removed.

Carrying small guns like my 686+ my GP100 or the Model 29 can present some problems, but knowing I have such fine equipment makes it worth the little "adjustments" I have to make
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I see the problem your too skinny,keep that belt in the same hole and gain 10 pounds
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I agree with everyone on here saying you need to get a good holster AND a good gun-belt... You get what you pay for.. I have the "flat-butt" issue, and before I got a good Pure Kustom holster and a belt from the Beltman I used to have the same issues.. Only I could tighten it all the way and it would still want to creep down. Now I normally run with my belt one hold larger then I can wear it and things stay where they need to.. I hike often for hours and forget I'm carrying.. Life is comfortable and good.. :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links