TFA meeting: lets beat up on the OC guy

This is a discussion on TFA meeting: lets beat up on the OC guy within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last Thursday (Aug 20) I went to the Shelby County (TN) TFA meeting (Tennessee Firearms Association). Every third Thursday we have it. It is a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TFA meeting: lets beat up on the OC guy

Angry TFA meeting: lets beat up on the OC guy

Last Thursday (Aug 20) I went to the Shelby County (TN) TFA meeting (Tennessee Firearms Association). Every third Thursday we have it. It is a good time. We talk about gun laws and events here in West Tennessee.

Well, this meeting was a bit different. We had a speaker that we had not had before. A local law professor, lawyer and speaker. This guy is a piece of work I can tell you. His whole speech was basically telling us we should never subscribe to any gun magazines, don't visit gun related web sites, don't talk about guns and your knowledge of them and ammo. Really, he was telling us that he is a scum bag lawyer and he has represented scum bags who sue permit holders who have had to shoot in defense of self and that he grills the permit holders on their gun magazine reading, their internet activity as it pertains to guns and self defense and all sorts of other things. He even suggests that ranges and training institutions should re-name their courses to sound less scary. Don't call a class "tactical shotgun" but rather "home defense shotgun" to sound less aggressive. (I can see the logic, although small, in this)

Then he said that we here in Tennessee have to carry concealed and I couldn't take it any more. I interrupted his speech and told him he was wrong. Another man in the meeting actually spoke up as well. We explained that the permit is not a concealed carry permit but that open carry is 100% legal and I told him that I do it all the time. He rolled his eyes (I hate that ) and told me that I was foolish for doing so. He told me that he had ridden with the Memphis PD SWAT team and they loved putting what they call "Smart assed open carriers" on the ground for carrying their gun uncovered.

I told him that if that happens, it would be fine and I would surely take legal action after I was released for committing no crime. He again told me I was foolish. I kind of lost it and told him I would think that someone who is supposed to be a law professor and lawyer but does not even know that the TN permit is not a CCW permit shouldn't be calling anyone foolish.

Then the loud mouthed retired cop we have at the meetings decided to speak up and tell me that I would surely be the first one shot if I was in a store that got robbed. Mind you, he said this while wearing a "Shoot-me-first-vest" that had a light spot worn on the side where is fat arm rubs his pistol when he walks!

The end result was, it was a crappy meeting, with a lot of bad info presented by the speaker, info that I have seen refuted by the likes of nationally recognized experts like Massad Ayoob and Clint Smith in many articles and books. To top it off, I get beat up on by a few of the members for carrying openly when any self defense firearms organization such as the TFA should be focused on just getting as many people legally carrying regardless of the mode of carry, and I had a really bad time and am considering never going to another.

I used to have a link to the TFA home page in my signature, but no more. I just can't support them when they will have a speaker like this clown put me down because I choose to not be ashamed that I carry and do so openly!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Well at least you stood up for yourself and also corrected the speaker as to what the law is.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    He told me that he had ridden with the Memphis PD SWAT team and they loved putting what they call "Smart assed open carriers" on the ground for carrying their gun uncovered.
    Strangely enough, I actually believe that.

Sorry your gun group turned south on you like that. Personally, I wouldn't return, but that's just me. However, to look at this on a positive note, at least Scum Bag Lawyer Esq. pulled the curtain back just far enough to show the depths of crap they sink to when getting material to prosecute permit holders.

Sometimes the legal system is more against us, than for us.

Mike...
    I'm sorry to hear that. You'd think that the rest of the membership there would notice this guy was a scumbag lawyer if he didn't know the basics of firearm laws in TN. Maybe worth talking to some folks on the side and get another guest speaker in who actually knows the law? Or maybe a State's Atty who knows the law?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

kpw
    Sometimes the saying "Those that can't do, teach." is appropriate. Most good lawyers, haven't the time nor the desire to take a pay cut to teach. (was told that by a pretty good local lawyer)

BTW, great job standing your ground.

Please, lawyers and teachers, don't take offence to that.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Let's see now...a firearms association brings in a speaker that basically tells you that you shouldn't be there (at a firearms association meeting). Being from Tennessee myself, that does seem par for the course. After all, we do pass laws and then give people the ability to 'opt out'.

Don't give up.

We gun owners, have for far too long, just bent over backward to the likes of these anti's.

Hold your ground and fight for what is right!

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Oh I would definately return. And I would publicly ask who was responsible for inviting an idiot like that to be a speaker?
    But , uhm, I'm shy that way
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

VIP Member
    Good job standing your ground for what you believe. It disturbs me that he openly admitted that the SWAT team jokes about violating peoples rights for OCing.

This is disappointing to hear. A law professor/lawyer should know better. What an ass he is for patronizing you and all other OCers by rolling his eyes. I am glad that you and the other man presented the other side of the argument. What was the speaker's reasoning as to why we shouldn't read gun magazines and visit gun web sites? Are these things incriminating evidence that can perhaps be used against us if we were to be involved in a defensive shooting? It is so unfortunate that the social climate compels gun owners to sugar-coat things to make the antis and sheep feel comfortable. Tactical sounds too aggressive, huh?

I don't post much but this upsets me.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Good job stating the LAWS IN TN I guess that one lawyer you wouldnt want defending you, man doesnt even know what legal and is up on a High Horse talking garbage...

It would have been a very, very good meeting if the organizers had remembered to bring the tar and feathers.

Next time, don't go to meeting with so many a--holes unless you are getting proctologists wages.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Rather than bail on the group, why not work with the leaders to get a good OC speaker in?
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

He told me that he had ridden with the Memphis PD SWAT team and they loved putting what they call "Smart assed open carriers" on the ground for carrying their gun uncovered.
    So, you're supposed to not carry openly (a legal act) so that you comply with the will of those in power who engage in criminal activity? Because...???...they're in control?

Can you say, "abuse of police powers"?

For him to endorse such a thing is wrong, and to try to intimidate you with such a threat is borderline criminal threat IMO.

I'd follow up on that one, and put a little heat under his backside.

Daryl

Quote Originally Posted by DarylW View Post
    So, you're supposed to not carry openly (a legal act) so that you comply with the will of those in power who engage in criminal activity? Because...???...they're in control?

Can you say, "abuse of police powers"?

For him to endorse such a thing is wrong, and to try to intimidate you with such a threat is borderline criminal threat IMO.

I'd follow up on that one, and put a little heat under his backside.

Daryl
    Presumably, Tennessee has the equivalent of a "fitness board" for lawyers. File a written complaint regarding his threatening comments.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links