Va. OC in Bars Question - Page 2

Va. OC in Bars Question

This is a discussion on Va. OC in Bars Question within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So if our OP is hunting moose at the Moose Lodge, he's got to be aware of the local ordinances that apply only to hunters ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Va. OC in Bars Question

So if our OP is hunting moose at the Moose Lodge, he's got to be aware of the local ordinances that apply only to hunters if he intends to open carry while drinking beer there? You guys really highjacked that thread!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    You guys really highjacked that thread!
    Not really.

The issue raised by SIGP250 that claimed the Virgina's preemption had holes in it that might apply to drinking in the the Moose Club while OCing

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    That allow for any town, village, city or county to enact local ordnances that may prohibit open carry and or carry into certain types of establishments, particularly bars and restaurants. It is advised that you become familiar with your local jurisdiction. [Emphasis added]
    is very related and just took some back and forth to deal with.

Fortunately, there is no enforceable restriction (State or Local) on drinking while OCing in Virginia.

Now, were you to "Virginia Tuck" while in the Moose Club and then convert back to CC when you come out, you could fall under:

18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

J1. Any person permitted to carry a concealed handgun, who is under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while carrying such handgun in a public place, shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. Conviction of any of the following offenses shall be prima facie evidence, subject to rebuttal, that the person is "under the influence" for purposes of this section: manslaughter in violation of 18.2-36.1, maiming in violation of 18.2-51.4, driving while intoxicated in violation of 18.2-266, public intoxication in violation of 18.2-388, or driving while intoxicated in violation of 46.2-341.24. Upon such conviction that court shall revoke the person's permit for a concealed handgun and promptly notify the issuing circuit court. A person convicted of a violation of this subsection shall be ineligible to apply for a concealed handgun permit for a period of five years.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links