Va. OC in Bars Question

This is a discussion on Va. OC in Bars Question within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hope that this isn't a repeat...I searched the site and did not find anything. I met a friend at his Moose Hall for a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Va. OC in Bars Question

Va. OC in Bars Question

I hope that this isn't a repeat...I searched the site and did not find anything.

I met a friend at his Moose Hall for a beer today. I was OC at the time and not sure how this would be recieved so I locked it up before I went in. I still had the holster on, however. A man at the bar told me that it eas a good thing that I did not have the pistol with me as in Virginia the law says that YES I can OC, but that if I have a beer or other adult beverage, I am in violation of the law.

This was a new one on me.

I went to a few Va. sites to check it out, but could find nothing addressing this.

Anybody know for sure???????

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    From the VSP website:

Any person granted a concealed handgun permit who is under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while carrying such weapon in a public place shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    The limit in VA is .08. If your only having 1 beer I doubt it would put you over the limit, but there are many factors that can influence that. Better safe than sorry.

I haven't worked in Virginia for several years now, but IIRC there is no law in Virginia that prohibits open carry while drinking, under the influence, etc. That doesn't, of course, make it a good idea.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

VIP Member

VA Open Carry

Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    I hope that this isn't a repeat...I searched the site and did not find anything.

I met a friend at his Moose Hall for a beer today. I was OC at the time and not sure how this would be recieved so I locked it up before I went in. I still had the holster on, however. A man at the bar told me that it eas a good thing that I did not have the pistol with me as in Virginia the law says that YES I can OC, but that if I have a beer or other adult beverage, I am in violation of the law.

This was a new one on me.

I went to a few Va. sites to check it out, but could find nothing addressing this.

Anybody know for sure???????

Thanks in advance!
    See This:

OpenCarry.org - State Information For Virginia
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Thanks folks!

Don't trust strangers at bars for legal advice, trust strangers on the online forum. In Virginia, it is illegal to carry concealed, even if you have a CHP, into any establishment that serves alcohol by the single drink for on-premises consumption, and it doesn't matter if you drink or not. There is no law prohibitting open carry into such an establishment, and also no law prohibiting the consumption of alcohol while open carrying in such an establishment. There is a prohibition against being intoxicated while carrying a firearm, so drink a minimal amount.

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    Don't trust strangers at bars for legal advice, trust strangers on the online forum. In Virginia, it is illegal to carry concealed, even if you have a CHP, into any establishment that serves alcohol by the single drink for on-premises consumption, and it doesn't matter if you drink or not. There is no law prohibitting open carry into such an establishment, and also no law prohibiting the consumption of alcohol while open carrying in such an establishment. There is a prohibition against being intoxicated while carrying a firearm, so drink a minimal amount.
    QFT

and by the way we're neighbors!
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Don't trust strangers at bars for legal advice, trust strangers on the online forum.
    That's pretty funny.... I'll have to print this out and have it handy should I ever have to go before a judge.....

Just remember to do the Va tuck when entering an ABC on business.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    From the VSP website:

The limit in VA is .08. If your only having 1 beer I doubt it would put you over the limit, but there are many factors that can influence that. Better safe than sorry.
    I agree with "better safe than sorry."

However, IMHO, the opertive word is "such" -- i.e., CC not OC.

I would not want to have to defend myself but I do not think 0.08 would be a offence while OCing.

18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

J1. Any person permitted to carry a concealed handgun, who is under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while carrying such handgun in a public place, shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. Conviction of any of the following offenses shall be prima facie evidence, subject to rebuttal, that the person is "under the influence" for purposes of this section: manslaughter in violation of 18.2-36.1, maiming in violation of 18.2-51.4, driving while intoxicated in violation of 18.2-266, public intoxication in violation of 18.2-388, or driving while intoxicated in violation of 46.2-341.24. Upon such conviction that court shall revoke the person's permit for a concealed handgun and promptly notify the issuing circuit court. A person convicted of a violation of this subsection shall be ineligible to apply for a concealed handgun permit for a period of five years.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    While several states are technically "Open Carry" including Virginia and my state Missouri, there are exceptions. Most states that permit or endorse concealed carry also have provisions in the law That allow for any town, village, city or county to enact local ordnances that may prohibit open carry and or carry into certain types of establishments, particularly bars and restaurants. It is advised that you become familiar with your local jurisdiction.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    While several states are technically "Open Carry" including Virginia and my state Missouri, there are exceptions. Most states that permit or endorse concealed carry also have provisions in the law That allow for any town, village, city or county to enact local ordnances that may prohibit open carry and or carry into certain types of establishments, particularly bars and restaurants. It is advised that you become familiar with your local jurisdiction.
    Virginia has a "preemption law" which prohibits any locality from passing and or enforcing laws which go against the state laws. And, just one other point, Virginia does not have bars. Legally, no one can have an establishment which serves either alcohol only, or one that has their majority income from alcohol. Restaurants are allowed to serve alcoholic drinks though. For now, open carry is the only legal way to carry in those establishments, thus the "Va Tuck". The restaurants may post signs saying "no guns" and may ask you to leave or stow your gun in your vehicle even without a sign, but the city or county may not do so. There have been several lawsuits won against cities in the tidewater area because of state preemption.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by celticredneck View Post
    Virginia has a "preemption law" which prohibits any locality from passing and or enforcing laws which go against the state laws. And, just one other point, Virginia does not have bars. Legally, no one can have an establishment which serves either alcohol only, or one that has their majority income from alcohol. Restaurants are allowed to serve alcoholic drinks though. For now, open carry is the only legal way to carry in those establishments, thus the "Va Tuck". The restaurants may post signs saying "no guns" and may ask you to leave or stow your gun in your vehicle even without a sign, but the city or county may not do so. There have been several lawsuits won against cities in the tidewater area because of state preemption.
    I don't want to get into a debate and I am not a lawyer but as an 01-FFL I do know and observe state laws. VIRGINIA state code is published and available from ATF.

Title 15.2 Counties, Cites and Towns; Chapter 9 General Powers of Local Governments; section 15.2-915. This section does appear to make the law state wide, however there are almost always exceptions. As I read further, Chapter 12, general Powers and Procedures of Counties, Section 15.2-1209.1, Can and does allow local jurisdictions to regulate carrying of loaded firearms on public highways.

This is only one relevant example of an exception that does override state law.

If you can't get from point A to B, by exception of the law, then how can you carry in a restaurant or any other place?
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    I don't want to get into a debate and I am not a lawyer but as an 01-FFL I do know and observe state laws. VIRGINIA state code is published and available from ATF.

Title 15.2 Counties, Cites and Towns; Chapter 9 General Powers of Local Governments; section 15.2-915. This section does appear to make the law state wide, however there are almost always exceptions. As I read further, Chapter 12, general Powers and Procedures of Counties, Section 15.2-1209.1, Can and does allow local jurisdictions to regulate carrying of loaded firearms on public highways.

This is only one relevant example of an exception that does override state law.

If you can't get from point A to B, by exception of the law, then how can you carry in a restaurant or any other place?
    First, I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on the Internet.

The very end of that section reads:

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15-2, 1209.1
    The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons carrying loaded firearms in moving vehicles or for purposes other than hunting, or to persons acting at the time in defense of persons or property.
    The way I read it, the only time a locality can regulate/restrict firearms is with regard to hunting, and publicly-maintained roads, and of course, discharge of said firearms.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riana View Post
    First, I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on the Internet.

The way I read it, the only time a locality can regulate/restrict firearms is with regard to hunting, and publicly-maintained roads, and of course, discharge of said firearms.
    ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

15.2-1209.1. Counties may regulate carrying of loaded firearms on public highways.

The governing body of any county is hereby empowered to adopt ordinances making it unlawful for any person to carry or have in his possession, for the purpose of hunting, while on any part of a public highway within such county a loaded firearm when such person is not authorized to hunt on the private property on both sides of the highway along which he is standing or walking; and to provide a penalty for violation of such ordinance not to exceed a fine of $100. The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons carrying loaded firearms in moving vehicles or for purposes other than hunting, or to persons acting at the time in defense of persons or property. [Emphasis added.]

And

15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.

Nothing in this section shall prohibit a locality from adopting workplace rules relating to terms and conditions of employment of the workforce. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a law-enforcement officer, as defined in 9.1-101 from acting within the scope of his duties.

The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility.

B. Any local ordinance, resolution or motion adopted prior to the effective date of this act governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, other than those expressly authorized by statute, is invalid.

C. In addition to any other relief provided, the court may award reasonable attorney fees, expenses, and court costs to any person, group, or entity that prevails in an action challenging (i) an ordinance, resolution, or motion as being in conflict with this section or (ii) an administrative action taken in bad faith as being in conflict with this section.
    Virginia State Government has preempted the regulations of firearms, save a very limited authority applicable only to "hunting."
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links