What states can you open carry in?

This is a discussion on What states can you open carry in? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; GA is open carry....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What states can you open carry in?

GA is open carry.

2. Remove Ads

Open Carry??

Georgia is, but I observe these issues. IF I am a Stop and Rob guy, read that as Stop and Rob the 7-11 I just walked into and I see an Open Carry guy in the store, who am I going to shoot first from ambush? The Open Carry guy, cause the guy behind the counter may have at best a baseball bat cause he is a Foreigner who does not or cannot get a license to carry or his religion forbids violence. Go figure what religion that is, but all of the foreign folks who sit behind of the counters in all of the stop and robs I seldom visit, do not carry and most do not have bullet proof counter facing compartments around them. The one's that do, have had and continue to have holdup issues.....
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Blue Thunder, you nailed the tactical disadvantage of carrying openly. I won't do it myself. Open carry advocates don't care for my attitude but my safety is my business and I take it seriously.

Maybe someday we'll achieve open carry nirvana where we all have pistols strapped to our hips in the free and open air, and we'll gather 'round and hold hands and sing kumbaya, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    Georgia is, but I observe these issues. IF I am a Stop and Rob guy, read that as Stop and Rob the 7-11 I just walked into and I see an Open Carry guy in the store, who am I going to shoot first from ambush? The Open Carry guy, cause the guy behind the counter may have at best a baseball bat cause he is a Foreigner who does not or cannot get a license to carry or his religion forbids violence. Go figure what religion that is, but all of the foreign folks who sit behind of the counters in all of the stop and robs I seldom visit, do not carry and most do not have bullet proof counter facing compartments around them. The one's that do, have had and continue to have holdup issues.....
    Ummmm....yeah.... and show us examples in real life where that has happened?

Armed and Considered Dangerous: A Survey of Felons and Their Firearms (Social Institutions and Social Change) (Paperback)
    by Peter H. Rossi (Author), James Wright (Author)
    Interviewing felony prisoners in ten state correctional systems in 1981, Wright and Rossi found extensive information suggesting that gun control laws have relatively little effect on violent criminals. For example, only 12% of criminals, and only 7% of the criminals specializing in handgun crime, had acquired their last crime handgun at a gun store. Of those, about a quarter had stolen the gun from a store; a large number of the rest, Wright and Rossi suggested, had probably procured the gun through a legal surrogate buyer, such as a girlfriend with a clean record. Fifty-six percent of the prisoners said that a criminal would not attack a potential victim who was known to be armed. Seventy-four percent agreed with the statement that "One reason burglars avoid houses where people are at home is that they fear being shot during the crime." Thirty-nine percent of the felons had personally decided not to commit a crime because they thought the victim might have a gun, and eight percent said the experience had occurred "many times." Criminals in states with higher civilian gun ownership rates worried the most about armed victims. Despite the popular myth that criminals preferred small, inexpensive handguns (so-called "Saturday Night Specials" or "junk guns"), the felony prisoners preferred larger, more powerful handguns-equal to the guns which they expected the police would have. Although the criminals rarely bought guns in gun stores, the overwhelming majority stated that obtaining a gun after their release from prison would be a simple project, which might take a few hours to a few weeks. Armed and Dangerous has lost none of its importance. In the years since it was published, no-one has done any research on criminal gun use and acquisition that is even half as significant or detailed. Armed and Dangerous is also a great book to give a library. The new paperback includes an introduction by Jim Wright that discusses the reaction to Armed and Dangerous in the years since its first publication.
    I will take my chances and DETER the MAJORITY of FELONS who would be evaluating me as a target.

BTW, we are both breaking the rules of the open carry forum shown at the top of this forum.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Georgia with a GFL (Georgia Firearms License).

I OC quite often especially in the winter.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Alabama has no law against OC as far as I know

Yes, Alabama has no law against OC, but I've heard of several local LEO departments that don't seem or don't want to understand this (at least according to other forums I've read).

Unfortunately, to my reading of it, Alabama law seems to be not very clear about OC. It doesn't plainly state that it is legal.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    Georgia is, but I observe these issues. IF I am a Stop and Rob guy, read that as Stop and Rob the 7-11 I just walked into and I see an Open Carry guy in the store, who am I going to shoot first from ambush? The Open Carry guy.....

This is true, but another possibility is that the Stop and Rob guy sees a guy with a gun in the store and decides it's less risky to rob someplace that doesn't have people with guns in it.

Just my $.02. I don't open carry myself, so *shrug*.

You can OC here in NH. You can only CCW with a permit. No OC in car with out permit.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

According to open carry.org.......

Quote Originally Posted by fox2102 View Post
    Alabama has no law against OC as far as I know
    Open carry in Alabama is legal except in a vehicle. To OC in a vehicle, a CCW permit is required.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

This is probably a stupid question...and it is my first post as well! Oh well....

I searched and I couldn't find the answer. In open carry states, do you need to be a resident of that state in order to avail yourself of that right? Or can you be a visitor?

Thanks for your help. As I'm from IL, this is somewhat new to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
    This is probably a stupid question...and it is my first post as well! Oh well....

I searched and I couldn't find the answer. In open carry states, do you need to be a resident of that state in order to avail yourself of that right? Or can you be a visitor?

Whatever restrictions for open carry a state places upon residents of that state, a non resident must also meet. For instance, in order for a Georgia resident to open carry in Georgia they must have a Georgia Firearms License. In order for a non resident to open in Georgia, they must have a license that Georgia recognizes.

In Washington, no permit is required to open carry outside a vehicle, therefore a non-resident may also open carry in Washington outside a vehicle without a recognized permit.

The rules are the same for residents and non-residents regarding open carry, so long as the non-resident possesses a permit (if required) that is recognized by that state.

Indiana, if you have a license to carry.

Indiana law is silent on the method of carry and the license does not define the manner of carry either. You might run into police officers who think differently though. Some will discuss it calmly and others might argue with you carrying openly even after they concede you have the legal right to do so.

If you OC get a digital voice recorder.

Open in NJ

NJ allows open carry for those with a NJ permit. NJ issues HR 218 permits for residents and regular permits (though extremely rare). Residents with either type can carry openly in NJ. I do not carry openly except at the range though, because... this is NJ, but can if I really want to.
    v/r,

Sheepdog Academy
    Helping to train those who protect and serve...
    www.SheepdogAcademy.com

Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post

If you have a permit to carry from your home state you can open carry in Michigan. This is do to the fact of getting the pistol into the state of Michigan.
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links