Only one sheeple terrified

This is a discussion on Only one sheeple terrified within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Florida, so OC is not normally an option. But I spend a fair amount of time in GA and I OC there. ...

I live in Florida, so OC is not normally an option. But I spend a fair amount of time in GA and I OC there.

I got a new Serpa for my G-17/G-22 and took it along this weekend.

dressed in shorts and a green t-shirt
    black Glock 17 in a black serpa on my strong side hip blackberry on the other
    Sunglasses and a safety orange baseball cap
    Northern Georgia in or near Statesboro

I don't normally shop at wal-mart but Dad needed a tree stand and they had one on sale. Saturday at 1:30PM. It doesn't get much more crowded. Two or three people had a slightly shocked look when they saw my gun. Three or four others saw it and smiled/nodded including one employee. No one else seemed to notice.

More or less the same thing in the Grocery store.

Two gas stations and no one that I saw noticed.

At a third gas station, the clerk noticed when I bought a gatorade and was a bit taken aback but that was it. An old timer that I let go in before me, notice on the way out and smiled, again thanking me for holding the door for him.

The sheeple who got scared was at a gas station at exit 3 (I-95) right before crossing back into Florida.
    I walked into the bathroom for the obvious reason. He was standing by the sink talking to his buddy who was wetting his head to remove hat head. Two truckers (a truck stop station). He moves out of the way and I use a stall. He is again in the way when I want to wash my hands. He moves over closer to his buddy and when he does, he sees my gun in the mirror.
    He stops in mid sentence, moves even closer to his buddy and all color drains from his face. I wash my hands then check that he hasn't moved and splash my face with water and grab a paper towel to dry off.
    He is still silent and staring at my gun. His buddy finishes brushing his hair and asks what the problem is.
    As I walk out, the sheeple stammers, that guy had a gun on his hip.
    The hair brush guy says, so... he was probably a cop... and he seemed nice enough.

I didn't hear anymore as I left and walked out to the truck chuckling.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Um last I knew Georgia OC requires a permit, and its for Georgia residents only. No Nonresident opencarry permit last I knew.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

wpk
    What's the singular form of sheeple? A sherpson?
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

Taken from: Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news Frequently Asked Questions

(Q: Do I need to carry my firearm concealed or may I carry openly?
    A: Under the law, a firearms license holder may carry a firearm openly or concealed in any location that is not off limits. However:

(a) GCO’s President and many GCO members advocate not carrying openly in restaurants that serve alcohol, state parks, and public transportation, until at least the summer of 2009. The reason for this recommendation is to make the passage of HB 89 a "non event" and minimize potential negative public reaction to carry in these locations, thus easing future attempts to reform Georgia’s gun laws even further. In addition, openly carrying in Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta International Airport will get you a set of handcuffs and a trip to the Clayton County jail. The legality of the City of Atlanta’s policy is the subject matter of a federal lawsuit filed by GCO, currently on appeal to the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.

(b) It is quite possible that a given law enforcement officer in a given jurisdiction may not have been properly briefed on (or may not have understood) the changes in the law brought about by HB89 and thus may still choose to challenge or even arrest someone carrying openly in the new locations, believing they are doing the right thing under the law. The legality of detaining people openly carrying firearms is the subject matter of two federal lawsuits filed by GCO.

Should you choose to openly carry a handgun, please be aware of the image you present to the public while doing so. They vote.)
    "If guns kill people" I can blame my pen every time I mis-spell a word....
    XD-9 Subcompact- Walther P22.

Sounds like a hassle free day Precision. Good job, thanks for the read, relieves the boredom at work. :)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    Um last I knew Georgia OC requires a permit, and its for Georgia residents only. No Nonresident opencarry permit last I knew.
    While GA does not have a non-resident permit, they do honor a FL permit. When in GA carrying on a FL permit you are bound by GA gun laws which means OC is legal.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    While GA does not have a non-resident permit, they do honor a FL permit. When in GA carrying on a FL permit you are bound by GA gun laws which means OC is legal.
    Yes. as a FL permit holder I can CC or OC so long as I have my permit.

VIP Member
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Maybe he is wanted by LE and he thought you were a cop.

The color draining from someone's face doesn't necessarily mean they're scared. It sounds like you had him backed into a corner.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    It sounds like you had him backed into a corner.
    Washing one's hands in the john = backing someone else into the corner?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Maybe he is wanted by LE and he thought you were a cop.

The color draining from someone's face doesn't necessarily mean they're scared. It sounds like you had him backed into a corner.

Randy
    I came out of the stall and walked towards the sinks. he chose to move to my left -- closer to his buddy --further from the doorway. Smart so he wouldn't be in the way when I had to leave. The stalls were behind him, but you are right he would have been forced to go past me to get out.

I don't think it was being cornered as much as shock, Fear of guns and confusion.

Whatever it was, it was very obvious and as I said before, I am just reporting my observations of the environment around me when I OC'ed.

Bottom line is out of the 5-600 people that were within 20 feet of me, only one had a distinct (bad) reaction and 6-8 had a distinct (positive) reaction. Most didn't even notice.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Poor guy. Sounds like what he needs is a fun class and day at the range to get over his fear of guns...and those who LEGALLY AND LAWFULLY CARRY THEM.

Or something.

I have a pet theory that if everyone who reacted so terrified at the sight or mere word "gun" like that would just be taken to the range, and educated in a safe way, and have their teachers make it fun, we'd have a lot less sheep around. And a lot more enthusiasts!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Okay, thanks, I was under the impression the CC and OC permit were two differant ones.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Links