Negative OC experience tonight at Collierville, TN Walmart - Page 4

Negative OC experience tonight at Collierville, TN Walmart

This is a discussion on Negative OC experience tonight at Collierville, TN Walmart within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by kellyII Maybe its just me, I dont know. But I just cannot comprehend why people, even ones on this forum think that ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Negative OC experience tonight at Collierville, TN Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by kellyII View Post
    Maybe its just me, I dont know. But I just cannot comprehend why people, even ones on this forum think that the sight of a weapon scares people. And if it does, well then its probably bc their uneducated on the facts.

Or bc there is not enough OC, if more people were to OC then there would be less and less people getting scared at the sight of a person legally carrying a weapon.

I personally think that is a cop out excuse.... And I for one support OC and CC, but I dont condone the people that say it scares me and only LEO should carry
    You're an MP downrange in the AOR. You need to realize that the sheep are easily startled and fearful. The sheep call the cops all the time about people carrying guns, especially the sheep who are anti gun. A person doing OC minding their own business sometimes results in a call where there is an armed party waving a gun around and threatening people.

There's a reason why my department requires LEOs to carry their weapons concealed when off duty, it's to not cause alarm. That's the fastest way to have an appointment with internal affairs, to let one of the sheep see your firearm and get alarmed.

What I can't comprehend is when people who OC are surprised when someone calls the cops on them or are alarmed. That's something you should expect if you OC. Even though I'm a LEO, I can't OC because my department SOP prohibits me from doing so regardless of whether or not I'm wearing my badge.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyII View Post
    Thats a load of crap, wake up america. The problem is all the BG's and their weapons that they carry. People need to see the everyday joe legally carrying his/her weapon more often....
    You're preaching to the choir here. The problem is the mainstream liberal media, the same media that tarnishes the image of law abiding gun owners and extolls the virtues of libs like Michael Moore and his ilk.

Another case of sheep expressing their opinion and citing it as "corporate policy."

In any case like this I'd make the contact to corporate asking that they clarify the actual policy to store management, enlightening them to the real world. I'd be quite sure there would be no signs going up, unless they are advertising for new managers....
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Well gang...I missed the phone call, but received a lengthy voice mail from the Collierville Walmart store manager. He must have apologized 5-6 times for the mis-informed asst mgr that confronted me while open carrying in the store last week. He stated that Walmart's policy welcomes anyone in their stores that is legally licensed to carry a handgun open or concealed.

He said the asst mgr should have never approached me and questioned why I was wearing a handgun and was 100% wrong telling me that it was against Walmart's policy. He stated he had a meeting with the asst mgr and other associates to make sure they clearly understood the policy. He went on to state that WM does have a policy against associates arming themselves while at work and that he hoped I'll continue to shop at Walmart.
    Proud NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    I would have left knowing he did not want and person carrying in his\her store.
    <...>
    I would have simply left and took my business elsewhere. Glad it worked out for you.
    I see a lot of people saying that. The problem with this is that it does nothing to educate, inform, and/or change people's perceptions. The end result of simply leaving is that there will eventually be more places that you'll have to leave.

well thats great to hear orangevol its great to hear a story of someone getting educated on the facts...

Just think how many other folks that you may have prevented from being wrongly accused by the store mgr..

Job well done

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    It is well settled in this and other forums that Wal Mart's official policy is to follow state law. You should suggest to the manager that he differentiate WM's policy for employees, their policy for customers, and his personal biases. Challenge him to show you WM's policy, and to confirm it with his supervisor. Search the forum for more info (I am too lazy and it is too late).
    ^This. My emphasis added in bold.

Well gang...I missed the phone call, but received a lengthy voice mail from the Collierville Walmart store manager. He must have apologized 5-6 times for the mis-informed asst mgr that confronted me while open carrying in the store last week. He stated that Walmart's policy welcomes anyone in their stores that is legally licensed to carry a handgun open or concealed.

He said the asst mgr should have never approached me and questioned why I was wearing a handgun and was 100% wrong telling me that it was against Walmart's policy. He stated he had a meeting with the asst mgr and other associates to make sure they clearly understood the policy. He went on to state that WM does have a policy against associates arming themselves while at work and that he hoped I'll continue to shop at Walmart.
    I hope you will continue to shop at that store. Well done for following through with an inquiry Sir. You've done a good service for all of us.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

!

Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    ^This. My emphasis added in bold.

I hope you will continue to shop at that store. Well done for following through with an inquiry Sir. You've done a good service for all of us.
    \

Exactly.

Wal Mart follows the law. Anytime a Manager or employee thinks they can harass you contact corporate. It gets remedy rather quickly.

Alot of managers are from out of state and are sheeple and dont know any laws and just follow the word of the sheep. BAAAAAHHH!

Now take the voice recording with you next time you OC at the store.
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

Perhaps we should have an "open carry" day at the Collierville WM-just to make sure! I'm game.

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Since open carry is legal in Tennessee I exercise that right quite often and tonight was no different. I was dressed in jeans, a golf shirt and openly carrying my Glock 27 strong-side with a spare mag on the left next to my CrackBerry. After dinner, my wife and daughter went on to the house while I stopped by Walmart for about an hour to grocery shop. I have open carried in our Walmart several times without incident, but tonight was different.

After I had been there a while trying to find everything on the list, a lady who was shopping with her daughter approached me in one of the aisles and asked me if I was a policeman. I responded; no...why? She said she worked there part-time and she and the store manager along with several other employees were questioning each other whether I was a cop. I stated I had a permit to carry. She went on to say she hoped I wouldn't shoot anyone. I responded I have no reason to shoot anyone unless my life was threatened. I told her to have a good evening and headed toward produce. As I rounded the corner I was approached by the store manager and this is where it gets really interesting.

He came over to me and asked me if I was a policeman, to which I gave him the same response as the previous

He then proceeded to tell me I could not carry a gun in Walmart. I stated I did not see a no-gun sign when I entered and I was not aware of a policy that prohibited me from carrying in his store. He then started telling me how dangerous it was for me to have a gun in the store around little children and women and that he knew Tennessee passed the bill to carry in restaurants where alcohol is served, but that did not make it legal to carry in Walmart. He also said if you had to shoot at someone you might hit an innocent bystander. I replied by explaining my confidence through training makes me proficient with my firearm and what exactally did the TN restaurant bill have to do with carrying in other businesses? He went on to say we just can't check everyone that comes in the store to see if they are legal to carry and he would check with corporate to get signs banning guns in his store. I replied, you will never know about the illegal carrier who brings a gun into your store, yet you want to ban me and other legal carriers who are no threat to you or your customers. He said we have people and policies to protect our customers. I said my son-in-law is a local policeman, but I can't carry him with me all the time to protect me...that is why I carry a gun...the police cannot be everywhere. What would happen if you prohibit me from carrying in your store and someone jumped me in the parking lot? Would you be there to protect me? He replied we have people watching all the time and it doesn't take the police long to respond.

As we parted ways I asked if he was familiar with the shooting last week just across the river at the Walmart in West Memphis, Arkansas. He said no. I explained that a domestic dispute broke out between two people in the store entrance and two shots were fired by the man who was illegally carrying a firearm...again that's why I carry a firearm...you never know where you may need to protect yourself. He wished me a good night and I finished my shopping and headed home.

I have mixed emotions about what happened tonight whether I should contact Walmart's corporate office realizing this could trigger a panic store wide gun ban at all Walmarts or just blow it off knowing I dealt with a bunch of Sheeple. What would you do?

Wal-Mart does not have any policy against carry in their stores...open or concealed. Denial of carry would ensure that the firearms community would force the closure of a lot of Wal-Mart stores by refusing to shop there. Corporate knows that all too well and Wal-Mart store management tend to try to push the envelope. As long as you're legal, tell the WM management that they're harrassing and targeting you specificly and that continuing to do so will result in your filing of a harrassment complaint.

I've personally been through this issue and know all too well how their management tend to respond. I usually ask them to follow me to the gun counter and remind them that they have an FFL and as such CANNOT deny carry in their store because in doing so, they could not legally allow a customer to purchase a firearm and take possession within their store. Use this if you want...it works!

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    A great way to respond to that would have been, "I'll tell you what, call the police now and tell them there is a man in your store with a gun and let's see how long it does take them to respond! Here, use my cell phone."

It just baffles me that managers think that a no firearms sign on the front door is going to keep the criminals from bringing their guns.
    +1

that would have been great... my suggestion is get a large group of
    OCer's and all go shopping at walmart....the manger will be less likely to kick a whole bunch of you out.. the state law would be good to look at and see if WM's policy is to follow it... you gotta educate the
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    See post # 48 for the managers positive response.

Ironically I was in the same Walmart Wednesday night and bumped into the same assistant manager. He recognized me and asked me how I was doing and we exchanged greetings. I was wearing a light jacket over my Glock 27 and smiled at him saying, "good, I'm covered up tonight." He said, "Oh thats OK, we're fine, good to see you."
    Proud NRA member

I'd love to be inside one of those "Meetings with the staff to instruct them on the firearms policy" meetings. Interesting to hear what is really said on the subject.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    See post # 48 for the managers positive response.

Ironically I was in the same Walmart Wednesday night and bumped into the same assistant manager. He recognized me and asked me how I was doing and we exchanged greetings. I was wearing a light jacket over my Glock 27 and smiled at him saying, "good, I'm covered up tonight." He said, "Oh thats OK, we're fine, good to see you."
    Thanks for pointing out the response from the management at the WalMart. I read your original post months back but never saw the "reply" from the Manager.

I'm glad that WalMart's policy is just simply to honor state law. No less, no more. Very simple as it creates really no confusion. Let the states set the rules and work within them.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Why is it that most of the time anyone has a bad experience while oc it is almost always at WM?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links