Negative OC experience tonight at Collierville, TN Walmart - Page 5

Negative OC experience tonight at Collierville, TN Walmart

This is a discussion on Negative OC experience tonight at Collierville, TN Walmart within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by glazer1972 Why is it that most of the time anyone has a bad experience while oc it is almost always at WM? ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Negative OC experience tonight at Collierville, TN Walmart

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glazer1972 View Post
    Why is it that most of the time anyone has a bad experience while oc it is almost always at WM?
    Bad things happen to good people while shopping at Walmart...LOL
    Proud NRA member

Why is it that most of the time anyone has a bad experience while oc it is almost always at WM?
    From the walmart fact sheet: In the U.S., Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. operates more than 4,200 facilities including Walmart supercenters, discount stores, Neighborhood Markets and Samís Club warehouses.

With lots of stores, many of which carry guns and ammo, and the knowledge that corporate policy is to follow state laws, lots of people OC at walmart. So the odds of an encounter with the few managers, assistant managers or greeters that don't know the policy (or wish to ignore it) is quite high.

The bad thing is that the OC'r gets hassled, then has to be the stimulus to get corporate to educate the store management on their own policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggy View Post
    I've seen people OC here at the Milan walmart, but I also usually see a patrol car pull up to check their permit right as they leave the store.

Their policy is to follow state law, which is great, but their managers aren't usually trained very well.
    I had this happen to me the other night. I don't like to OC, but my most comfortable holster is a Blackhawk CQC paddle for my G23. When I walk in any store, I'll pull my shirt over my firearm, mainly because I don't like the attention, but it is still printing pretty good. Usually it is not a problem. Most people never notice it. So many people are so busy or concerned with what they are doing that they rarely even glance at me. But it was after 11 PM and I walked around in electronics and in sporting goods while waiting on my wife to finish picking out some things. I noticed a couple of employees looking at me and whispering and thought to myself, "oh hell, here we go". It took us about another 15 minutes to finish up and as we checked out two male employees came up to the only open cash register and acted like they were doing something while the lady checked me out.

When I reached around to get my wallet, I made sure I pulled my shirt up so it would uncover my gun, hopefully showing them I was not trying to hide my carry of a firearm. That seemed to calm the two guys down just slightly, seeing that I was not concerned that my gun was in plain sight. However, I felt that they had probably either already called the police or were simply waiting there for me to leave. As we walked out and reached my vehicle, a police car rounded the corner and started slowly coming our way. The groceries were already loaded so I got in and we pulled out and left. We were not followed, but as the police car pulled up to the front of the store, one of the two guys came out and pointed us out. The police never came after me.

I can see where, in this instance, had I simply just OC'd from the get go they may not have gotten so nervous. Also, if I had used one of my IWB holsters and not printed, I feel it would never have been an issue. But I shouldn't have to worry about either since I'm permitted to carry by the State of TN.

So basically you're dam*^# if you do and you're dam*^# if you don't. I think its ridiculous but feel that after all the recent world events revolving around guns that more and more people are going to be completely frightened by the sight of an OC or badly CC'd weapon. Before long I feel that more and more stores will make the ridiculous decision to ban carry of guns by law abiding citizens in their stores to keep the sheeple from running amock, all the while allowing the non law abiding citizens to continue to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by spooter66 View Post
    I would contact WalMarts corporate office. I believe their policy is for their stores to follow the gun laws of the state the store is in. Since OC is legal in TN this manager may get educated by corporate.
    Yep... if he calls or emails them.... the Manager of that Walmart will have a "new" outlook on it by the next day.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    TnMike I agree with calling corporate and speaking to them but...

Make a point to tell them you are considering taking your business to a competitor in the area, one that will not harass you for doing nothing wrong.

They will not care if you choose to take your business elsewhere. I worked for Wal Mart while off duty from the Police Department and you cannot imagine how many times a customer would say the exact same thing and from the manager to corporate they did not care. Then it was not uncommon to see the same customer three days later back in the store shopping away. Overall the company will do what they can to satisfy the customer but the minute those words come out they lose interest quickly.
    ArmyMan and gottabkiddin like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Since open carry is legal in Tennessee I exercise that right quite often and tonight was no different. I was dressed in jeans, a golf shirt and openly carrying my Glock 27 strong-side with a spare mag on the left next to my CrackBerry. After dinner, my wife and daughter went on to the house while I stopped by Walmart for about an hour to grocery shop. I have open carried in our Walmart several times without incident, but tonight was different.

After I had been there a while trying to find everything on the list, a lady who was shopping with her daughter approached me in one of the aisles and asked me if I was a policeman. I responded; no...why? She said she worked there part-time and she and the store manager along with several other employees were questioning each other whether I was a cop. I stated I had a permit to carry. She went on to say she hoped I wouldn't shoot anyone. I responded I have no reason to shoot anyone unless my life was threatened. I told her to have a good evening and headed toward produce. As I rounded the corner I was approached by the store manager and this is where it gets really interesting.

He came over to me and asked me if I was a policeman, to which I gave him the same response as the previous

He then proceeded to tell me I could not carry a gun in Walmart. I stated I did not see a no-gun sign when I entered and I was not aware of a policy that prohibited me from carrying in his store. He then started telling me how dangerous it was for me to have a gun in the store around little children and women and that he knew Tennessee passed the bill to carry in restaurants where alcohol is served, but that did not make it legal to carry in Walmart. He also said if you had to shoot at someone you might hit an innocent bystander. I replied by explaining my confidence through training makes me proficient with my firearm and what exactally did the TN restaurant bill have to do with carrying in other businesses? He went on to say we just can't check everyone that comes in the store to see if they are legal to carry and he would check with corporate to get signs banning guns in his store. I replied, you will never know about the illegal carrier who brings a gun into your store, yet you want to ban me and other legal carriers who are no threat to you or your customers. He said we have people and policies to protect our customers. I said my son-in-law is a local policeman, but I can't carry him with me all the time to protect me...that is why I carry a gun...the police cannot be everywhere. What would happen if you prohibit me from carrying in your store and someone jumped me in the parking lot? Would you be there to protect me? He replied we have people watching all the time and it doesn't take the police long to respond.

As we parted ways I asked if he was familiar with the shooting last week just across the river at the Walmart in West Memphis, Arkansas. He said no. I explained that a domestic dispute broke out between two people in the store entrance and two shots were fired by the man who was illegally carrying a firearm...again that's why I carry a firearm...you never know where you may need to protect yourself. He wished me a good night and I finished my shopping and headed home.

I have mixed emotions about what happened tonight whether I should contact Walmart's corporate office realizing this could trigger a panic store wide gun ban at all Walmarts or just blow it off knowing I dealt with a bunch of Sheeple. What would you do?
    In all seriousness, I would have my lawyer send him a letter warning him not to harass otherwise peaceful and law abiding shoppers in the future.

People just want to know that they can trust you, and your assurance has to be delivered in a short sound-bite. If asked if I'm a cop, I would respond "I'm an off-duty soldier".

Carrying open is a unique signature of American culture and freedom. Open carry should be celebrated as a patriotic act.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    A great way to respond to that would have been, "I'll tell you what, call the police now and tell them there is a man in your store with a gun and let's see how long it does take them to respond! Here, use my cell phone."

It just baffles me that managers think that a no firearms sign on the front door is going to keep the criminals from bringing their guns.
    I think that's why we got hit on 9-11: the World Trade Centers didn't have a "no-aircraft" sign posted.

VIP Member
    "She went on to say she hoped I wouldn't shoot anyone..."

Good Lord, how insulting!

A person does not need a gun to commit a violent crime. I wonder if she asks every person that walks into the store to not punch, strangle or rape someone????

Such ignorance is disheartening.
    GH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk93 View Post
    So basically you're dam*^# if you do and you're dam*^# if you don't. I think its ridiculous but feel that after all the recent world events revolving around guns that more and more people are going to be completely frightened by the sight of an OC or badly CC'd weapon. Before long I feel that more and more stores will make the ridiculous decision to ban carry of guns by law abiding citizens in their stores to keep the sheeple from running amock, all the while allowing the non law abiding citizens to continue to carry.
    I support open carry, but given the recent shootings and heightened public fear, I think open carry is going to result in more stores posting 'No Guns' signs, which will apply to both open and concealed carry.

I think open carriers may be doing themselves and concealed carriers more harm than good. Look at California. They cracked down hard on open carry. Now you have to be careful your neighbors don't see your guns when you are loading up the car to go to the range. Keep sticking our heads up on this issue and we are going to get whacked.

Quote Originally Posted by beararms View Post
    I think open carriers may be doing themselves and concealed carriers more harm than good. Look at California. They cracked down hard on open carry. Now you have to be careful your neighbors don't see your guns when you are loading up the car to go to the range. Keep sticking our heads up on this issue and we are going to get whacked.
    The only place I open carry is in rural areas on private property, for instance out hunting. And even though OC is legal in Ohio, you're going to get hassled, even arrested, doing it in town. I'm a big buy (6-8, 250) so I've had to go out of my way at times to be non-threatening (w/o a gun!). Face it, OC in most urban and suburban environments is threatening to many people. Why bother them? Get a CC permit.
    moonman39 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by troutkiller View Post
    The only place I open carry is in rural areas on private property, for instance out hunting. And even though OC is legal in Ohio, you're going to get hassled, even arrested, doing it in town. I'm a big buy (6-8, 250) so I've had to go out of my way at times to be non-threatening (w/o a gun!). Face it, OC in most urban and suburban environments is threatening to many people. Why bother them? Get a CC permit.
    Your solution is pragmatic but the rationale is not persuasive. People should be able to engage in lawful activities without risk of unlawful arrest. To not bother is to surrender the right. Just sayin'.
    Brad426 and Blackhawk93 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Your solution is pragmatic but the rationale is not persuasive. People should be able to engage in lawful activities without risk of unlawful arrest. To not bother is to surrender the right. Just sayin'.
    Which is exactly why the police do it in some jurisdictions. "If we do this enough the word will get out that their kind is welcome here" kinda mentality.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    It's not surrendering any right at all. Just because I chose not to talk all the time doesn't mean I've given up my right to free speech.

just think what it's going to be like if we get OC or CC in this state. i'm for both but i will CC so i don't get a lot of attention to me. the public see it than there scared but if they don't see it than there not scared. they say OC will be the thing of the past but i don't think it will.
    ArmyMan likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Its saddening and disgusting how doing absolutely NOTHING wrong can result in a big headache for an individual while OC. It really is sad.

OP: Looks like you handled it well. Good. I'm glad that everything with the letter worked out, and the manager wasn't seemingly foul or bitter with you for the whole ordeal. are all too common these days

I was asked to leave Walmart years ago while OC by an UNARMED security guard. I don't personally believe that area is high crime, but this is the only Walmart I can ever recall having a security guard either.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    TnMike I agree with calling corporate and speaking to them but...

Make a point to tell them you are considering taking your business to a competitor in the area, one that will not harass you for doing nothing wrong.

They will not care if you choose to take your business elsewhere. I worked for Wal Mart while off duty from the Police Department and you cannot imagine how many times a customer would say the exact same thing and from the manager to corporate they did not care. Then it was not uncommon to see the same customer three days later back in the store shopping away. Overall the company will do what they can to satisfy the customer but the minute those words come out they lose interest quickly.
    I've never worked for Wal-mart, but I have spent MANY years doing customer service and management in the automotive aftermarket industry, among other things when people are mad, irritated or "unhappy" the first thing that always pops out of their mouth is "IM NEVER COMING BACK AND IM TELLING MY EVERYBODY I KNOW TO NEVER COME HERE AGAIN,...". I roll my eyes when I hear that. And no, it wasn't uncommon to see that same person who said that come back in regularly and spend gobs more money there.

PS to all those folks saying "Well I just CC to avoid that,.." or "oc sucks",...you DO realize that directly under where it says Defensivecarry.com on the top left hand side of the browser, it says CONCEALED CARRY, OPEN CARRY, FIREARMS, ,....et. al.
    tacman605 likes this.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links