Negative OC experience tonight at Collierville, TN Walmart

This is a discussion on Negative OC experience tonight at Collierville, TN Walmart within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since open carry is legal in Tennessee I exercise that right quite often and tonight was no different. I was dressed in jeans, a golf ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Negative OC experience tonight at Collierville, TN Walmart

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar

Negative OC experience tonight at Collierville, TN Walmart

Since open carry is legal in Tennessee I exercise that right quite often and tonight was no different. I was dressed in jeans, a golf shirt and openly carrying my Glock 27 strong-side with a spare mag on the left next to my CrackBerry. After dinner, my wife and daughter went on to the house while I stopped by Walmart for about an hour to grocery shop. I have open carried in our Walmart several times without incident, but tonight was different.

After I had been there a while trying to find everything on the list, a lady who was shopping with her daughter approached me in one of the aisles and asked me if I was a policeman. I responded; no...why? She said she worked there part-time and she and the store manager along with several other employees were questioning each other whether I was a cop. I stated I had a permit to carry. She went on to say she hoped I wouldn't shoot anyone. I responded I have no reason to shoot anyone unless my life was threatened. I told her to have a good evening and headed toward produce. As I rounded the corner I was approached by the store manager and this is where it gets really interesting.

He came over to me and asked me if I was a policeman, to which I gave him the same response as the previous

He then proceeded to tell me I could not carry a gun in Walmart. I stated I did not see a no-gun sign when I entered and I was not aware of a policy that prohibited me from carrying in his store. He then started telling me how dangerous it was for me to have a gun in the store around little children and women and that he knew Tennessee passed the bill to carry in restaurants where alcohol is served, but that did not make it legal to carry in Walmart. He also said if you had to shoot at someone you might hit an innocent bystander. I replied by explaining my confidence through training makes me proficient with my firearm and what exactally did the TN restaurant bill have to do with carrying in other businesses? He went on to say we just can't check everyone that comes in the store to see if they are legal to carry and he would check with corporate to get signs banning guns in his store. I replied, you will never know about the illegal carrier who brings a gun into your store, yet you want to ban me and other legal carriers who are no threat to you or your customers. He said we have people and policies to protect our customers. I said my son-in-law is a local policeman, but I can't carry him with me all the time to protect me...that is why I carry a gun...the police cannot be everywhere. What would happen if you prohibit me from carrying in your store and someone jumped me in the parking lot? Would you be there to protect me? He replied we have people watching all the time and it doesn't take the police long to respond.

As we parted ways I asked if he was familiar with the shooting last week just across the river at the Walmart in West Memphis, Arkansas. He said no. I explained that a domestic dispute broke out between two people in the store entrance and two shots were fired by the man who was illegally carrying a firearm...again that's why I carry a firearm...you never know where you may need to protect yourself. He wished me a good night and I finished my shopping and headed home.

I have mixed emotions about what happened tonight whether I should contact Walmart's corporate office realizing this could trigger a panic store wide gun ban at all Walmarts or just blow it off knowing I dealt with a bunch of Sheeple. What would you do?
    Proud NRA member

2. Remove Ads

I would contact WalMarts corporate office. I believe their policy is for their stores to follow the gun laws of the state the store is in. Since OC is legal in TN this manager may get educated by corporate.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

I have mixed feelings about the subject. I believe they have the right since it's private property but also I have the right to defend my life. So I say do what you feel is right. Personally I have open carried in the past because I was too young to CC but I would never go into Walmart OC'ing because I know their stance is against weapons.
    "It is better to judged by 12, Than to be carried by 6"

"You ask me why I carry so much gear??? I ask you why you are not prepared?"

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    He replied we have people watching all the time and it doesn't take the police long to respond.
    A great way to respond to that would have been, "I'll tell you what, call the police now and tell them there is a man in your store with a gun and let's see how long it does take them to respond! Here, use my cell phone."

It just baffles me that managers think that a no firearms sign on the front door is going to keep the criminals from bringing their guns.

Quote Originally Posted by spooter66 View Post
    I would contact WalMarts corporate office. I believe their policy is for their stores to follow the gun laws of the state the store is in. Since OC is legal in TN this manager may get educated by corporate.
    I agree with this route. You did nothing wrong and were completely legal. It might be time for a little manager 'enlightenment'.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I agree with this route. You did nothing wrong and were completely legal. It might be time for a little manager 'enlightenment'.
    How do you know the manager was little? Did the OP ever say the manager was little?

Quick note on Walmart and guns. I spoke to a MOD at my local WM yesterday and he told me that Walmart was getting out of the gun selling business. He said there were only about 500 WM's that still sold guns, but they planed on still selling ammo..

I have always thought of WalMart as a friend to gun owners but, I guess times are achangin.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

If you'll check, I believe you'll find Walmart has no policy against concealed carry under state law. It does ban open carry which is their right, I'm no lover of Walmart; but, it is private property, and they allow concealed carry. I still shop their because of this decision. Open carry isn't a concern to me and in an area with a lot of people around me, I wouldn't reccommend it it.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    It is well settled in this and other forums that Wal Mart's official policy is to follow state law. You should suggest to the manager that he differentiate WM's policy for employees, their policy for customers, and his personal biases. Challenge him to show you WM's policy, and to confirm it with his supervisor. Search the forum for more info (I am too lazy and it is too late).
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

sounds like it may be time to send an email to corporate, or just let it be and continue to carry. either way youre within your rights

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I had a similar situation at a Wal-Mart store here in Anchorage. I was being told by the Sporting Goods department manager that I could not open carry inside the store, and that I had to conceal it. I told them that open carry is legal here in Alaska, and they said regardless I still had to conceal it. After I got home I sent an email to their corporate office and I guess they forwarded it to the store manager here. I got a call from the store manager and he apologized for the way I was treated and that I could continue to shop there. He told me he was a strong advocate of the 2nd Amendment and an NRA member. I asked him if they banned open carry inside the store, and he told me no manager or employee could say anything unless there was a complaint made by another customer. Which I find to be interesting because I could just as easily complain about a customer dressed in a wife beater shirt, torn jeans, and smell like they haven't bathed in weeks, and they probably can't do anything. I open carried there a couple more times without further incident, even walking past the sporting goods manager that told me I had to conceal my gun.

I too was under the impression that Wal-Mart had to follow state law.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    If you'll check, I believe you'll find Walmart has no policy against concealed carry under state law. It does ban open carry which is their right, I'm no lover of Walmart; but, it is private property, and they allow concealed carry. I still shop their because of this decision. Open carry isn't a concern to me and in an area with a lot of people around me, I wouldn't reccommend it it.
    WRONG. Walmart's corporate polocy is to allow that which the state that the store is in deems legal. Hence, Concealed carry AND Open Carry are completely OK in Tennessee Walmart stores.

Orangevol, call and email the corporate Walmart in Arkansas. Get the managers name. Tell them how you were treated, make sure that you point out you were completely legal in Tennessee and that you shop there often. Make a point to tell them you are considering taking your business to a competitor in the area, one that will not harass you for doing nothing wrong.
    tricolordad likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    As stated above, numerous times, Wal Mart's policy is to follow state law. IF they receive multiple complaints from customers about a particular customer, they will attempt to remedy the situation, which, if the manager is will be to ask the OC'er to conceal or leave.

And I would highly recommend open carrying, regardless of the number of people around.

orangevol, next time ask the store manager how many times could he bend his trigger finger before the police officer would show up at the store.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Wal-marts corp policy is to follow the state laws. They do perfer customers CC, instead of OC, but they are not to cause and issue unless the person is threatening. Then the policy is to contact LE, not to confront the person directly.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links