My first bad open carry day!

This is a discussion on My first bad open carry day! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yep, I guess it's supposed to happen if you O.C. regardless, but my "first" was yesterday, and it left an awfully bad taste in my ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My first bad open carry day!

My first bad open carry day!

Yep, I guess it's supposed to happen if you O.C. regardless, but my "first" was yesterday, and it left an awfully bad taste in my mouth, even though it wasn't super bad or anything.

I'm a younger guy, red-haired dude that welcomes people a lot, and I openly carry a medium-large sized revolver as an EDC (it's what I'm most accustomed to) in Tennessee, and I was surprised at my little run-ins today.

I had a doctor appointment and errands to run in the afternoon, so I dropped by a local gas station to top off beforehand. I casually slid in an got hooked on the door by some joker (loud, middle aged idiot carrying 2 cases of Bud Lite, probably intoxicated) with a quick, unfriendly question:

"Hey, boy! Hey, why you got that gun sittin' on yer hip like that, huh?!"

"It's there for the bad guys." I smartly replied with a smile as I moved along.

"That crap's just plain asinine! Look at this kid walking around with this gun onem'!" he exclaimed across both the interior of the store and the parking lot.

I sharply glared at this guy to try to sense his motives a bit more closely, I was really too close to this foolish .

I kept my eyes on this dirtbag as I once again tried to continue out the door, then he seemed to advance at bit at me with his free hand.

I lunged clock-wise about three feet, he was at my 2, with my hand hovering my holster and I calmly advised him that it'd be a really good idea to back off.

He mumbled some raff under his breath and stormed out the door, but my nerves were eased a little as I got profuse apologies from almost everyone in the store, but I just wanted to get out of that place with my gas.

So, off to the doc.!

Little to my knowledge, I quickly find out that my family doctor of some twenty-something years is a full blown anti-gun, liberal, and he lets me know this; "the world would be a better place without guns" he says.

He was rather reasonable about it, not kicking my out of his office or anything, but he felt it damn necessary to voice his viewpoints on guns thoroughly (at which point I felt was absolutely unethical) in my paid session.

"I know for a fact that the crime rate would be greater if everyone was waking around with guns."

"I thought we grew away from the wild West?"

"What happens when all the crazies who are hopped up on dope and drunk all have guns?"

"In my whole life I have yest to see anyone need the assistance of a fire-arm."

Now, of course I had some very thought out counterpoints, but after a volley of about 3 or 4, and trying to level the discussion by making it clear I'm not trying to push him around by any means (I was being nice about it ) I started wondering if I was going to get what I actually came here for.

Then, with red eyes, he just asked a paltry question or two and wondered off to another patient. I was confronted by the secretary and was informed that the person who was out today was going to be handling some referrals that were planned, and they would call me. /sigh

I wanted to let the doc. know he could climb up the hill to his pretty glass house and bury his head in his sandbox if he wanted to, but again, another place I just wanted to get out of.

'Bout 7 or so, and I swing by my girlfriend's folk's house just to see what's happening.

I drop in, and her Mom sees me. I ask politely if it's alright if I bring an arm in the house (first time), and she's welcoming.

She even brings out her .22 pistol just to show it off :p. It was a fun little moment, but soon after she asks," Why do you carry around such a big gun all open like that?" (GAWD)

I just kept quiet, spent some time with the gal and got out of there.

And that's the mentally exhausting day I had with O.C. in my little town in Tennessee.

Thank you, O.C. support group, for reading my little diary entry.
    Last edited by rstickle; September 1st, 2009 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Language

2. Remove Ads

Definitely a tough OC day
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Can't wait!

Sound like its time to find a new doc! Oh wait, Obama will take care of that for you.

I just got my CC license and haven't really worn it in few yet. I'm still waiting for my holster to come in but I too expect questions and glares. I'll keep everyone posted if I get "the treatment".
    Freedom, worth fighting for!

kpw
    Not real bad overall, but I can see how it could make you uncomfortable. Couple things. Don't talk to idiots. No law says you have to respond, so don't.
    If you feel uncomfortable with your doc now, find another. It took a while but I found a great ex-navy doc that packs a USP .40. Turns out he's the best doctor I've ever had.
    GF's mom will probably get used to you. Sounded more curious than anything.
    You handled things well, though.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Good counter to the jerk in the store; I would have told the doctor to mind his own business, and that if it wasn't for people like us, he wouldn't have any freedoms left.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

sounds like a busy day and you handled it all will. But Im not so sure I would have wasted my time on the loud mouth in the store..

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Time for a new doc, ans a well written letter telling him why.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

I am not sure that I would have stayed at the doctor's office for the completion of the "exam" unless it was urgent.

For someone to get that angry while "performing" their professional duty is a bit absurd. Pay for the treatment in person and explain why he has lost a patient.

the explanation should start with a lack of professionalism, a lack of patient concern and a distinct lack of courtesy for legal constitutional rights for his patients.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Woah, rough day. :(
    Sorry you had to deal with a buncha maroons. HATE days like that.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

EW3
    PA is an open carry state as well, but what you stated reinforces why I would never OC. It's just too much work dealing with all the sheeple!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

One run in with an idiot, and finding out that your Doctor is an anti. Not a great day.

But, the idiot is just a random encounter, no big deal. just watch for him in the future since you both shop at the same place. And, find another Doctor. There are tons of them and right now at least, you have the right to find any Doc you want to use.

Soot to hear that the sheeple are so prevalent in your part of our state.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I got knocked off my bike in Lebenon,Tenn. years ago coming back from N.M. That town was not gun friendly. Had two pistols in my saddle bags. When me and the bike went over the car the bags exploded. The sheriff wanted to lock me up while I was in the ER.
    Always look professional when open carrying around town. I wear good leather gear. People think I am are working. I would have told the guy at the store I was going shooting. First choice is not responde or just grin.

Semper Fi

P.S. Lose the attitude You get more flies with honey.

Sounds like a successful day for an OC-er. (where is the tongue i cheek icon)
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Jeez, tough OC day. When I read these I am always thankful I have never had to deal with the problems. Not yet anyway.

It ain't much better in my part of the state either. Sorry you had a rough day!
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links