Funny thing just happened...

This is a discussion on Funny thing just happened... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was out front weed whacking OC as usual. Mind you this is private property (Since I rent)... Our townhouse is in town along a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Funny thing just happened...

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Funny thing just happened...

I was out front weed whacking OC as usual. Mind you this is private property (Since I rent)... Our townhouse is in town along a semi-busy side road and a decently busy sidewalk. We have a small patch of grass and a flower bed that I maintain per the lease. Well I'm there working minding my own business when a lady came up on the side walk. I nodded and she had this look of horror on her face when I turned and she saw my 1911. I had just gotten home from work after a long stressful day. I just wanted to get my yard work done and unwind. I was not in the mood to play 20 questions with some misinformed sheep.

Her: *A little bit of attitude* "Do you really need that"?
    Me: *Annoyed* "Need what"?
    Her: "Your gun"?
    Me: "Sure, there are bad people in the world"
    Her: "Out in the open though"?
    Me: "Mam, I'm sorry to be short but I'd like to be left alone please. I can carry a gun in the open in the state of PA, and even if I couldn't I'm on private property so I can"
    Her: "Well I don't think it's a good idea with kids riding around and such"

I go back to weed whacking drowning her out as she walks away and flips up her cell phone, dials something then looks back at me. I'm thinking "great, this is what I need"

I forget about the whole incident as 15 or so minutes pass I'm cleaning up my mess and a LEO cruiser pulls around the corner and up behind my car on the street. He rolls the window down and I'm still clearly OC. He looks directly at my 1911, kind of does a eye roll, looks at me then says:

Him: "We got a call about a man 'brandishing' a gun, have you seen anyone brandishing a gun"? Said in a semi-sarcastic, I can't believe I'm getting bugged for this kind of crap tone.
    Me "No sir, can't say I have"
    Him: "Ok, well we got a call and we just needed to check"
    Me: "Sounds good, am I free to go"?
    Him: "Sure thing, have a good night"
    Me: "You too sir"

And that was it. He drove off. He didn't even get out of the car...

I just wanted to be left alone.

2. Remove Ads

Silly lady is all I've got to say.

If you had to do over would you use the same words wirh the lady?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    If you had to do over would you use the same words wirh the lady?
    No. I could already tell she had made up her mind by the tone of her first question.

I've never understood the bit about carrying where kids are around. How many times is this lady around people that conceal carry around kids and she has no clue?

Ignorance is bliss.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    What does "carrying while kids around" have to do with anything? Oh right. The gun would spontaneously discharge killing one of them.

Glad you got an officer with common sense.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    What does "carrying while kids around" have to do with anything? Oh right. The gun would spontaneously discharge killing one of them.

Glad you got an officer with common sense.
    Me too, or I would have had a nice civil suit being on private property and all

That would have gone over like a fart in church.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Wait! You were brandishing a weed whacker! I bet the cops really get tired of people such as this lady.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chenemf View Post
    I've never understood the bit about carrying where kids are around. How many times is this lady around people that conceal carry around kids and she has no clue?

Ignorance is bliss.
    And she probably blissfully thinks criminals carrying ilegal guns,concealed, never do so around the children.

Baaaah!
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Too bad they don't prosecute people for making bogus 911 calls like hers,I bet if she was convicted and had to pay a fine she wouldn't be calling the cops on law abiding citizens
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by GunBugBit View Post
    Silly lady is all I've got to say.
    ...but a smart cop handed her a "checkmate".
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I whole heartedly agree with and support everyone’s right to carry a weapon both concealed and open.
    There are certain things that we do or wear that are sure to draw attention to us. In my case, when I wear one of my off duty Paramedic or a K9 search & rescue shirts people seem to think it’s a open invitation to talk to me about their ailments or their cute little puppy. Most of the time, I have no issue with talking to people. I will use that as an opportunity to educate people.
    However when I want be left alone I try not wear things that open the door to conversation. Openly carrying a firearm seems to draw attention from other people, so I would suggest CC when you don’t want to deal with people.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

I can only say Baaaa! Baaaa!

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Me too, or I would have had a nice civil suit being on private property and all

That would have gone over like a fart in church.
    Not sure where the concern of "being on private property" comes from. You are a legal tenant of the property. I would think the right to bear arms on that property extends to the tenant unless there is something in your lease stating otherwise. I guess one could split hairs over the common areas of the townhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by tmizzi View Post
    Not sure where the concern of "being on private property" comes from. You are a legal tenant of the property. I would think the right to bear arms on that property extends to the tenant unless there is something in your lease stating otherwise. I guess one could split hairs over the common areas of the townhouse.
    No I was referring to if the LEO had decided to detain me and harass me on private property. I rent from a private owner, not a company.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links