Anyone who carries in MN.

This is a discussion on Anyone who carries in MN. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a couple questions for people who carry in Minnesota. I CC all the time when out and about and was curious if anyone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone who carries in MN.

I have a couple questions for people who carry in Minnesota. I CC all the time when out and about and was curious if anyone has OCed in northern Minnesota, Duluth specifically, and had troubles. My instructor said this area is not very receptive to OC and I was curious if anyone had specific stories, positive or negative.

Second, I am heading down to the cities to pick up a friend of mine from New Zealand. As far as I know there are no federal laws prohibiting carry in an airport when picking someone up, am I correct? If that is true any MN residents know if they prohibit guns there?

Sorry for the wordyness, thanks for the help.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Airport looks like you are all set, as for the rest I'm not sure. Check out Handgunlaw.us and click MN. It should be crystal clear for you.

I'm good on the laws I am more concerned about the "public culture" for lack of a better term. Duluth tends to be pretty liberal and I'm curious if people have had issues with OC here.

For the airport I was curious if they had no guns signs there, which in MN legally prohibits someone from carrying there. Quite a few places in Duluth are posted like that and it makes it a pain figuring out where I can go without trouble before hand. BTW I will be CC at the airport, so no concerns on OC there. Thanks for the tip on the federal side of things.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flext View Post
    I'm good on the laws I am more concerned about the "public culture" for lack of a better term. Duluth tends to be pretty liberal and I'm curious if people have had issues with OC here.

For the airport I was curious if they had no guns signs there, which in MN legally prohibits someone from carrying there. Quite a few places in Duluth are posted like that and it makes it a pain figuring out where I can go without trouble before hand. BTW I will be CC at the airport, so no concerns on OC there. Thanks for the tip on the federal side of things.
    The airport thing isn't a federal thing. Thats up for the states to decide. I think the universal standing law is no guns beyond the security checkpoint. Anything before that is up to the state. I just happen to know MN is one of the states that allow carry in airports.

As for MN law about the rest... I can't help you there. As for the liberal bit, if you aren't breaking the law go tell em to pound sand if they give you a hard time.

I have no experience carrying in Duluth, or the MSP airport. I just don't OC period, but you should be fine at the airport, expect some increased surveillance from the Airport PD, and definitely don't leave your car unattended in the pick up lane (it'll be ticketed in under 5 minutes probably towed too.) That's about it. enjoy your trip to the cities.

Duluth

You live in Duluth I take it, so you must of noticed how many left wing fruitcakes are there. The only place I have ever seen "Yes We Did" Nov 4th 2008 Obama bumper stickers, they sure DID IT!!
    Last edited by ronbo; September 2nd, 2009 at 09:47 AM.
    NRA Life Member

Oh I live in Duluth and I sure know they did it lol. I am very much a minority here, but that doesn't tend to keep me quiet when someone says something stupid. I work in a hospital and you have no idea how many times I have heard people complain about the government causing problems with healthcare and how they drag their feet and then in the same breath praise Obama's government controlled healthcare ideals. I don't understand it, but maybe I'm the one missing something.

Sorry that was way off topic. I'll avoid derailing my own thread. I guess I'll add. Does anyone else live in an area with that sort of political culture and how does OC go over there.

You can carry into the airport terminal but not through security, and you can carry in the Duluth area. You just have to be prepared for more looks, scrutiny and perhaps harassment if you OC there.

Minnesota permits are concealed or open, but concealed doesn't get that reaction.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

I'm over in Superior now... I was raised in Duluth (and my gf works at S.L. hospital in Duluth.. I've never carried in Duluth (need to get my ccw), and have never seen anyone OC in Duluth, But I OC here in Superior and have yet to be hassled or given strange looks.

-Damien

Darned double post

-Damien

That's the hospital I work at. How do you carry in Wisconsin? I thought they were no carry?

Open Carry in Wi is legal, CC is not legal. (Hopefully CC is legalized with the new Governor)
    You cannot carry on person in a vehicle (must be unloaded, cased and in a separate compartment), You cannot carry into an establishment serving alcohol for consumption on premises, and you cannot carry in a government building or a state park.. (State park is changing soon though)

-Damien

That is interesting. I never knew that. I'll have to load up the laws page and look over that a bit for Wisc. Learn something everyday lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Flext View Post
    I have a couple questions for people who carry in Minnesota. I CC all the time when out and about and was curious if anyone has OCed in northern Minnesota, Duluth specifically, and had troubles. My instructor said this area is not very receptive to OC and I was curious if anyone had specific stories, positive or negative.

Second, I am heading down to the cities to pick up a friend of mine from New Zealand. As far as I know there are no federal laws prohibiting carry in an airport when picking someone up, am I correct? If that is true any MN residents know if they prohibit guns there?

Sorry for the wordyness, thanks for the help.
    Hi Flext,

I lived in Duluth for about a year (2006) and worked nights @ The Bethel. Did a lot of walking on the paths after dark and had a number of friendly visits with local PD. Seems some people thought a man with a cane shouldn't walk around alone after dark, it might not be safe.

I never OCed except when home, but always let the Officers know I had a permit and was armed CC. Never had any problems, in fact, got to have coffee @ Perkins a couple times a week with the them once they got to know me.

I was @ the Minneapolis Airport about 5-6 months ago, don't remember seeing any "No Guns" signs except where the security area starts.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Tracy
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links