Ignorance of the law, kindness and the Reston Town Center

This is a discussion on Ignorance of the law, kindness and the Reston Town Center within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Random I think the manager certainly would have the right to choose to server or not to serve in their establishment. I'm ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ignorance of the law, kindness and the Reston Town Center

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    I think the manager certainly would have the right to choose to server or not to serve in their establishment.
    I'm sure his response would have been different if the bartender and/or manager had said "It's against store/corporate policy to serve alcohol to someone who is carrying a weapon." Then he would have had to forgo the beer, or leave. They told him it was not allowed BECAUSE IT WAS AGAINST THE LAW. That was a misconception that needed to be corrected, IMO.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I'm certainly not going to judge the OP, but all it takes is one anti gun person to shoot some cell phone footage of an OCer drinking a beer with his firearm on his hip to provoke some nee jerk politician in Richmond to introduce legislation banning all gun in places where alcohol is served.
    Or... You could mention that someone other then a police officer was drinking while carrying a gun & NOTHING happened.
    Just as it does hundreds (if not thousands)of times daily. The same with this drinking & driving thing. Millions of miles are put on every year by drivers that have had more then one drink and then driven without incident.
    Cops do it EVERY DAY.
    If all the bad things happened every time someone had a drink that are attributed to drinking, the world would have been void of people long ago.
    Far more people are injured by drivers texting then drinkers that shoot people .
    BTW... I have had drinks before & never killed anyone. I have on occation even had too much to drink & STILL never killed anyone.
    With a car or a gun.

Good job on calmly educating them on the law.

Minnesota allows carry as long as you are 0.04 BAC or below. While it could come into play legally if you are involved in a shooting, it's not like you went out shopping and for dinner looking for trouble.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Good job on your part and it sounds as though you handled each "concerned citizen" with aplomb.

VIP Member
    The OP's first sentence was :

"First off, I am not here to discuss the philosophies of drinking while carrying (there are plenty of threads on the topic)...this thread is an account of my evening at the Reston Town Center last night."

Sounds to me like you handled yourself just fine. I wish my state allowed me to drink a beer while carrying.
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

Sounds to me like you did fine. I don't see a problem with drinking responsibly while carrying. As long as you didn't get hammered it seems fine.

Guns and alcohol don't mix,just like drinking and driving...I'm sure you had a designated driver
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I'm certainly not going to judge the OP, but all it takes is one anti gun person to shoot some cell phone footage of an OCer drinking a beer with his firearm on his hip to provoke some nee jerk politician in Richmond to introduce legislation banning all gun in places where alcohol is served.
    That much I'll agree on. But this is also why we need to keep pushing to get the stupid law changed...which probably isn't going to happen until we get rid of Tim 'The Pain' Kaine.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I wont drive even after one drink, nor would I carry a gun. Would I be legal to drive after just one, sure, but just the fact that IF I am stopped or in an accident, it would lead to more attention to me, same as if someone had a drink or 2 and were in a SHTF situation. In my state it is not lawful to consume and carry, and some may want to change that, I am fine with it.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

You were polite and handled yourself well.

In FL one can enjoy a beer with dinner and I have done so on 'few and far between' occasions with a full meal. I have never felt the alcohol...not a glass with dinner.

I don't have a problem with it, and it's legal in FL.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Guns and alcohol don't mix,just like drinking and driving...I'm sure you had a designated driver
    I did! I designated myself as the driver! As I stated in a few posts above. I had 2.25 drinks within 7+ hours. MORE than enough time to burn off all alcohol in my system.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    If you are responsible enough to carry a gun, you are responsible enough to limit your drinking to what you can tolerate without reaching the "under the influence" level.
    Are you serious??? You really think that by someone being able to (legally) carry a gun, it makes them responsible enough to limit their drinking?

That's like saying anyone responsible enough to (legally) drive a car is responsible enough to limit their drinking.....

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.....

CC'ing or OC'ing says NOTHING about your attitude, personality, character, etc. etc.....and it sure as heck doesnt say anything about how responsible you are...

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nkanofolives View Post
    I did! I designated myself as the driver! As I stated in a few posts above. I had 2.25 drinks within 7+ hours. MORE than enough time to burn off all alcohol in my system.
    If you had '1 drink', '1 small sample' and '1 beer', that would probably take about 2 hours to be metabolized, if you drank them shotgun style, all in a row. I am assuming that your '1 drink' included only 1 shot of alcohol and was not a Long Island or similar. My guess is that you were never close to being legally intoxicated during that 7 hours. Since the lady changed her mind and served you a beer (on the house, no less) it is obvious that you were conducting yourself well.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Are you serious??? You really think that by someone being able to (legally) carry a gun, it makes them responsible enough to limit their drinking?

That's like saying anyone responsible enough to (legally) drive a car is responsible enough to limit their drinking.....

CC'ing or OC'ing says NOTHING about your attitude, personality, character, etc. etc.....and it sure as heck doesnt say anything about how responsible you are...
    Except that receiving a driver's license is not dependent on criminal history. Someone who can pass a good background check probably is more responsible than the average person.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post

Dude. Try to read what I said and don't add things that aren't there. I said "responsible enough" not "legally allowed to".

You can't pass laws that effect responsibility. I think you have to treat gun owners as being responsible until they prove otherwise. Remember the innocent until proven guilty concept? It was in all the papers.

If you are responsible enough to carry a gun, you are responsible enough to determine when to say no.

If you are NOT responsible enough to carry a gun, no law is going to change that.

Going at it from the other end: if you are so irresponsible that you can't determine when to say when, you have absolutely no business carrying a gun.

Questions? Comments? Flames?
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links