Ignorance of the law, kindness and the Reston Town Center - Page 4

Ignorance of the law, kindness and the Reston Town Center

This is a discussion on Ignorance of the law, kindness and the Reston Town Center within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by PaulG Dude. Try to read what I said and don't add things that aren't there. I said "responsible enough" not "a gun, ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ignorance of the law, kindness and the Reston Town Center

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    Dude. Try to read what I said and don't add things that aren't there. I said "responsible enough" not "a gun, no law is going to change that.

Dude...! I also said responsible enough... I added legally to exclude anyone prohibited from carrying a gun...
    Last edited by Trouble; September 9th, 2009 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Dude...! I also said responsible enough... I added legally to exclude anyone prohibited from carrying a gun...
    If I misunderstood anything you were trying to say, I apologize.

What YOU said was ". . . . You really think that by someone being able to (legally) carry a gun, it makes them responsible enough to limit their drinking?"

If you read my original post, I never said that being legally able to carry a gun makes anyone responsible about anything.

So in answer to your original question, NO! I don't think that being legally able to carry a gun makes them responsible enough to limit their drinking.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

\obligatory

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Guns and alcohol don't mix,just like drinking and driving...I'm sure you had a designated driver
    We sure have a lot of "holier than thou" responses in this thread. Casually consuming one or two drinks doesn't make you drunk and irresponsible, guys. Our choosing to carry a gun shouldn't make us prisoners of that choice, not allowed to go out and enjoy ourselves like other citizens. Where does this "even one drop of alcohol and driving (or guns) doesn't mix" attitude come from? Is it a religious thing or were you raised with that?

So what if other people in a restaurant see me legally carrying a gun while also legally consuming a light beer with my meal? They won't see me brandishing, nor will they see me stumbling out to my car afterwards. And if I do get into a self defensive shooting incident, the police may very well ask me to blow into a breathalyzer, but they'll find I was under the legal limit of impairment and not legally under the influence; end of story.

I open carry in restaurants two or three times a week, usually having a drink with my meal, and have been doing so for close to three years. Nobody has ever said a word to me or refused service. I am surprised you had two sheepy encounters on one evening, but you handled it well. Good job.

This thread is fun.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kicker96fs View Post
    This thread is fun.

And if it does not go back to OP, it will be closed
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

OK. Since I helped get things off topic, let me help getting it back.

My office is short walking distance from Town Center.

I'm curious about your comment of not liking the vibe at M&C. Did you mean that you didn't like the atmosphere there in general or did you pick up an anti-gun vibe?

Would be useful information to have on hand.

I think the OP has control of himself when he consumes alcohol. However, it isn't true for a lot of people. They start fights, challenge the bouncers who are way bigger than them, challenge LEOs outside the bar, etc.

Alcohol and guns are not a good combination. I see it in a similar light as alcohol and driving. However, I don't think they should ban guns at bars because the BGs will be packing heat anyways.

No offense to the OP.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    OK. Since I helped get things off topic, let me help getting it back.

My office is short walking distance from Town Center.

I'm curious about your comment of not liking the vibe at M&C. Did you mean that you didn't like the atmosphere there in general or did you pick up an anti-gun vibe?

Would be useful information to have on hand.
    The short answer is that I am married, I was with my wife and we were not looking to pick up anyone nor was she in the mood to get hit on.

\younger drinking crowd as the night goes on

Quote Originally Posted by nkanofolives View Post
    The short answer is that I am married, I was with my wife and we were not looking to pick up anyone nor was she in the mood to get hit on.

\younger drinking crowd as the night goes on
    Gotcha.

The only times I have been in M&S have been for early evening dinners. I'm in the same boat as you. I'll avoid late night trips there.

Thanks.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Well done...??? Good job....??? Really....???

While I support the right to OC, I sure as heck wont give you an ata-boy for OC'ing while bar hopping....
    +1! Booze one your breath, gun on your hip. We applaud your chutzpah...
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I'm not going to comment about carrying while drinking. Our state does not allow it.
    To clarify, Bunny, NC doesn't allow CC and any drinking. For some odd reason, you can be OC and drunk as a lord. So said my CHP instructor in NC.

I don't hangout in RTC as I am a younger gun owner (23). I do know that Reston Town Center is incredibly safe from my experience, but there is never a reason not to carry.

I wouldn't have more than 2 drinks all night if I were carrying. Then again, I probably wouldn't take the gun out at all if I knew I was going to a bar - too much hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I don't hangout in RTC as I am a younger gun owner (23). I do know that Reston Town Center is incredibly safe from my experience, but there is never a reason not to carry.

I wouldn't have more than 2 drinks all night if I were carrying. Then again, I probably wouldn't take the gun out at all if I knew I was going to a bar - too much hassle.
    You're only safe as long as you stay in the inner open rectangular "entertainment" area during daylight hours and when the 5-6 local LEO's are patrolling that inner rectangular area on their bicycles. Other than that...you're on your own.

Don't read the local papers much or spend much time there do we? Heh... The parking decks in particular over there are SHTF magnets. It's a target rich environment. You've got hundreds of stores and restaurants ...many of which are higher-end/higher priced and so are their clientele all packed into what amounts to a 4-6 block inward facing square with the parking decks on the outer fringes. The parking decks are basically stop and robs and some of the lower end bar/restaurants are youngin' drunken fight club magnets in evenings and on weekends...particularly around the Jackson's area...

Not to mention the 'Target'-ville encampment as it's now called these days. It's basically a hobo/homeless encampment that sets up around the Target shopping center just down the road from the town center and they tend to gravitate towards the town center late evenings to panhandle and sometimes worse...again probably because it's a target rich environment. I think the local LEO's shut them down and moved them away from target recently as I drove by that way from work late one evening this past week and the tarps were gone, but I hear they've set right back up in the little strips of woods nearby.

Stay safe...nothing is as safe as it appears at face value.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    You're only safe as long as you stay in the inner open rectangular "entertainment" area during daylight hours and when the 5-6 local LEO's are patrolling that inner rectangular area on their bicycles. Other than that...you're on your own.

Don't read the local papers much or spend much time there do we? Heh... The parking decks in particular over there are SHTF magnets. It's a target rich environment. You've got hundreds of stores and restaurants ...many of which are higher-end/higher priced and so are their clientele all packed into what amounts to a 4-6 block inward facing square with the parking decks on the outer fringes. The parking decks are basically stop and robs and some of the lower end bar/restaurants are youngin' drunken fight club magnets in evenings and on weekends...particularly around the Jackson's area...

Not to mention the 'Target'-ville encampment as it's now called these days. It's basically a hobo/homeless encampment that sets up around the Target shopping center just down the road from the town center and they tend to gravitate towards the town center late evenings to panhandle and sometimes worse...again probably because it's a target rich environment. I think the local LEO's shut them down and moved them away from target recently as I drove by that way from work late one evening this past week and the tarps were gone, but I hear they've set right back up in the little strips of woods nearby.

Stay safe...nothing is as safe as it appears at face value.
    Thanks for the info. I know Herndon/Reston is definitely prone to certain types of crime, especially in the poorer parts of town.

Makes me rethink the safety of that area. I was working in Reston for about a year and have since left that job and moved on to bigger and better things.

I would leave work late some nights and step into the parking garage - definitely would've liked to be armed at that point. My CC permit shows up soon and I will be carrying from that point on - no exceptions.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links