Ignorance of the law, kindness and the Reston Town Center

This is a discussion on Ignorance of the law, kindness and the Reston Town Center within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off, I am not here to discuss the philosophies of drinking while carrying (there are plenty of threads on the topic)...this thread is an ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ignorance of the law, kindness and the Reston Town Center

Ignorance of the law, kindness and the Reston Town Center

First off, I am not here to discuss the philosophies of drinking while carrying (there are plenty of threads on the topic)...this thread is an account of my evening at the Reston Town Center last night.

So the wife and I head over to my old restaurant Mon Ami Gabi, have some great appetizers and a drink each, OC with no issue.

Head on over to the new wine bar in the Town Center called Boxwood. I hate the wines they have, had a small sample of a white and called it a day. Within the first 3 minutes we were in there, one of the ladies who worked there asked me to cover up my gun. I respectfully tell her that VA State Law does not allow me to. That I have to OC in a place that serves alcohol for on site consumption. Discussed property owners rights and their right to ask me to leave. She asked if I was LEO, I told her I was not. She asked why I carry, I told her that about once a month some one (usually a server/bartender) gets mugged in the parking lots and I do not want to be one of those victims. (For those of you who are not familiar with the Reston Town Center, it is a 4 block by 4 block, giant collection of higher end retail and about 16 restaurants, in other words a VERY target rich area. The security there is a joke btw.) Back on topic, the lady at the wine place got a very concerned look on her face and told me that my wife and I were welcome to stay and told us to enjoy our evening.

Briefly head over to McCormick & Schmick's, we do not like the vibe and bounce out quickly. OC'd once again with no issue.

Last place of the evening. We head over to Uno's, some servers that I used to work with at my old restaurant were heading over there and they invited us. I get my wife a beer and the bartender refuses to serve me. He tells me that is very pregnant manager is refusing me alcohol "as VA state law does not allow me to drink with my gun." I laugh at him, say thanks and go find this pregnant manager. Once again, very respectfully I ask her why she is refusing me alcohol. She makes some claim that I can not drink while carrying. I correct her and go through pretty much the same conversation I had 30 minutes before hand at the wine bar. She then speculates if corporate policy dictated whether or not guns are allowed in the restaurant. She asks for me to sit tight while she calls a high up supervisor. 5 minutes later she comes and asks me what kind of a beer I would like, apologizes for the inconvenience and tells me that my beer is on the house.

Over all great evening of hanging out with the wife, friends and educating uninformed.

2. Remove Ads

I's say that you handled those situations well.
    God, country, family.

Good job....I love education....
    BLONDIE: You may run the risks, my friend, but I do the cutting. If we cut down my percentage... cigar? Liable to interfere with my aim.

Well done.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I hate to say it, I would not have served you. I support carry in all modes, but not when one is drinking, it only takes one drink here and another there and all the sudden we have a drunk man with a gun call.

EDIT: I see others thing this was done well, I will put my flame suit on now since I do not agree.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Well done...??? Good job....??? Really....???

While I support the right to OC, I sure as heck wont give you an ata-boy for OC'ing while bar hopping....

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    I hate to say it, I would not have served you. I support carry in all modes, but not when one is drinking, it only takes one drink here and another there and all the sudden we have a drunk man with a gun call.

EDIT: I see others thing this was done well, I will put my flame suit on now since I do not agree.
    Yeah...in psychology they call that projection...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Um, okay, all references to alcohol aside here for the moment -- it sounds to me like you were polite and handled each situation in a way that reflected well for those who carry. I didn't hear about anyone getting loud, nasty, arrogant, etc, either on your side or those of the uneducated. In fact, it sounds as though you educated them in a very pleasant, non-threatening manner and they clearly saw it as such, so on that I say absolutely "well done."

I'm not going to comment about carrying while drinking. Our state does not allow it.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

I respect everyones right to carry, and everyones right to consume any beverage they please. I just refuse to combine the two activities... Much the same way I refuse to drink and drive.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

RMS
    Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post

+1

My concern is that if an incident were to occur, even the hint of alcohol on your breath could cause big problems even if you were 100% correct.

Distinguished Member
    Sounds like you educated a few tonight. I have mixed feelings about the drinking and gun combo, so I won't comment on that. Funny thing though, the one's that applied a little heat "aka- flaming" didn't question how you got from bar to bar, if you were driving, I would tend to think the gun was the lesser of the 2 evils here, but it must have slipped by a few folks.

Best to ya. Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    Funny thing though, the one's that applied a little heat "aka- flaming" didn't question how you got from bar to bar, if you were driving, I would tend to think the gun was the lesser of the 2 evils here, but it must have slipped by a few folks.

Best to ya. Z
    At Reston Town Center, he'd've been walking. Everything is clumped together in walking distance. And the weather has been quite temperate of late (though it rained a bit today), so a cool evening walk would have been nice.

And though I prefer not to drink at all when I'm out-and-about, whether OC or not (the liquour is cheaper at home, and I don't have to worry about driving ), I think you did well in educating those who needed the information.

kpw
    Good job. Polite interaction goes a long ways and you handled it well with a good outcome.
    As for the drinking, I think you mentioned one drink, a wine sample and a beer over a considerable amount of time. I had 2 LaBatts tonight at the B-day dinner. Love a nice Porterhouse!
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Astute View Post
    My concern is that if an incident were to occur, even the hint of alcohol on your breath could cause big problems even if you were 100% correct.
    Agreed. If the SHTF and you had to use your firearm to defend yourself/loved ones and there's alcohol on your breath or witnesses stated to the police and media that they saw you drinking, guess how it's going to be portrayed in the media? Then the OP has done more harm to the cause than good.

Legal to carry and consume alcohol? Yes. Is it wise to do so? IMHO, I don't think so.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links