First OC LEO Encounter

This is a discussion on First OC LEO Encounter within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night I had my first OC with a LEO. It was a good experience. Yesterday I had to have my Ford F-250 serviced for ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First OC LEO Encounter

First OC LEO Encounter

Last night I had my first OC with a LEO. It was a good experience.

Yesterday I had to have my Ford F-250 serviced for an unforseen problem. I was told that they could not finish the repair that day & the truck would have to be finished the following day. I took a taxi cab home and anticipated how I would get to work. I was forced to take the local bus system here in Vegas. Here's where the LEO encounter began as I was walking at one point. Keep in mind that I OC a G26 to & from work. I was also wearing a security guards uniform as well. It was around 1:31AM.

I had been walking approximately a mile thus far. As I was walking past a closed restuarant I saw a local marked police vehicle make a sudden U turn. I strongly suspected that I was going to have a LEO encounter.

As I expected the police vehicle activated it's lights and stopped immediately behind me. The officer exited his vehicle and ordered me to walk toward his car and put my hands on the hood. I complied with his request.

He asked me where I was going. I told him that I had missed my bus and was walking part of the way home. I took this time to advise the officer that my G26 was loaded & there was a round in the chamber. He then ordered me to stay where I was standing. He then requested a "back up" officer to the scene.

Upon the arrival of the back up officer the first officer placed his hinged handcuffs on me. He advised me that I was not being detained or under arrest but this was for "officer safety" until he could ascertain my intentions with my carrying a handgun.

The first officer tried to remove my G26 from it's holster several times. He couldn't do it! He asked me how to remove it so I explained how the retention device on my holster works to remove the handgun. He then safely removed my handgun from it's holster.

The first officer than walked to the passenger side of his vehicle and proceeded to clear my G26 and place it on the dashboard of his car. He then requested where I carry my ID. I advised him my wallet was in my back right hand pocket. He then removed my wallet and asked where my ID was as well. He located my ID and proceeded to verify my identity.

As I was handcuffed the back up officer explained that there have been cases of individuals impersonating police officers. They had to verify that I was not such a person. I was explained to the back up officer that I understood why I was being questioned about carrying a firearm. He thanked me for my positive attitude at this encounter and confessed that that was a good thing to do under the circumstances.

Long story short, the first officer verified that I wasn't a BG. He then told me that he would put my G26 and magazine on the sign of the closed restuarant sign around 8 feet away. Once uncuffed I could retrieve my handgun & continue on my way.

I then offered the each of the officers my hand & I shook their hands. I thanked them fo their professional attitude during this encounter. They thanked me for my positive attitude as well. All in all, I think it went as well as could be be expected.

Now I've had my first LEO encounter.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

2. Remove Ads

So your telling us that after the officers determined that you were not a BG they were still so uncomfortable with them being near you and a weapon at the same time that they had to leave the gun and mag on a restaurant sign so the could leave the scene before your retrived it? Please tell me that isn't so.
    To all you current and former military ... thank you for your service! Let no one forget that the sacrifices you have made allow us the freedoms we enjoy.

I wouldn't be too thrilled about being cuffed.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I find the statement funny
    "Upon the arrival of the back up officer the first officer placed his hinged handcuffs on me. He advised me that I was not being detained or under arrest but this was for "officer safety"

yet you were in cuffs and not free to leave. I suggest you read the threads at opencarry.org in Nevada, seems LVMPD has a way of harassing law abiding citizens that open carry.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    Long story short, the first officer verified that I wasn't a BG. He then told me that he would put my G26 and magazine on the sign of the closed restuarant sign around 8 feet away. Once uncuffed I could retrieve my handgun & continue on my way.

I'd be writing a letter about that treatment.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm not sure as to why they put my G26 on the closed restaurant sign 8 feet away. I suppose they could have just as easily just handed me my G26 to reholster all the same. As long as I get my gun back was my most serious concern under the circumstances. I'm not sure if this is standard operating procedure.

Within 10 seconds of being unhandcuffed I walked over to my G26, reinserted the magazine and rechambed a round. I then reholstered my G26. This is while both officers were still there & walking back their vehicles. They didn't say to wait until they departed either. So they did not think I was a BG.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

You were handcuffed. You were detained. That is the very definition of being detained.

And I for one do not think that this LEO encounter went well at all. You were stopped, cuffed, disarmed (by your own words the cop failed a few times to remove the gun from the holster so while you were cuffed, you could have been shot by your own gun while this guy was fooling with it) and then, once they found out you were an honest to God card carrying good guy, they still felt threatend enough by you and the gun that they left it 8 feet away? Come on, you really think that this was a good LEO encounter.

You were treated like a scum bag even though you were doing nothing wrong. You were 100% legal.

If it were me, I would at least complain in writing to the chief. I don't think you were treated well at all.

And they did think you were a bad guy. And they probably still do and will until they receive some remedial training in armed citizens by their boss.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

wow i dont see how that was an ok OC experience. i would raise six kinds of h*ll about that one, and that wouldnt fly to well here in KY. if they cant respect you enough to leave you uncuffed when you have your weapon, then you best believe they would take your right to carry away in a heartbeat
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

kpw
    A good LEO interaction is him/her nodding and saying "Have a nice day." Anything more without PC or RAS isn't so good.
    "there have been cases of individuals impersonating officers" doesn't cut it.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    This could be considered a "good" encounter only because the over-reaction didn't extend to your being shot.

NV requires a permit to carry openly; therefore, I can see how the police officer would want to see a permit instead of ignoring you, but it seems to me that all the rest of the activities were unnecessary.

Come on guys... At least they were polite while they were cuffing him, disarming him, and giving him the final insult by placing his gun on a sign 10 feet away.

Very PC, but not a good encounter as far as I'm concerned.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

What was positive about it ? That it didn't go worse ?

Legally carrying but stopped by police, cuffed, detained, and checked out because you were doing nothing illegal and just walking down the street.

In my youth, no one would have thought twice about you with a gun on your hip. It bothers me that today, they do all that to you and it's considered "expected".

If He could'nt take the gun out of the holster & I was cuffed I'd say TUFF FU FU
    You shoot me and I'll sue YOU PEARSONALLY ; ) that's BS H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I am all for cooperating with LEO but the cuffs are definitely a . Like someone said, that is the very definition of being detained. "Officer safety" is just an euphemism to illegally strip your rights.
    Mossberg 500A
    Savage 93R17 FV
    Ruger P95DC

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    This could be considered a "good" encounter only because the over-reaction didn't extend to your being shot.

NV requires a permit to carry openly; therefore, I can see how the police officer would want to see a permit instead of ignoring you, but it seems to me that all the rest of the activities were unnecessary.
    Might wanna check on the permit to OC. If I am reading correctly at opencarry.org you do not need a permit. Lots of stories of people going to Vegas that does not have a permit honored by NV and OC'ing instead.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links