IKEA is Anti-Concealed Carry and Open Carry Store and presumed anti-RTBA

This is a discussion on IKEA is Anti-Concealed Carry and Open Carry Store and presumed anti-RTBA within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bm7b5 A manager at a particular IKEA store didn't want someone openly carrying a gun in this store. I don't think that ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IKEA is Anti-Concealed Carry and Open Carry Store and presumed anti-RTBA

Quote Originally Posted by Bm7b5 View Post
    A manager at a particular IKEA store didn't want someone openly carrying a gun in this store. I don't think that is an unreasonable business perspective.
    Agreed, I understand that some businesses might not want open carry in their stores.

The issue is the employee could have simply walked up to the OCer, and politely asked them to leave because they were making his customers uncomfortable. Or he could have asked him to please put the firearm in his vehicle and then he could come back into the store.

If the employee was too uncomfortable or nervous, he of course could unnecessarily call the cops and have them handle it. Once the cops arrived, the situation should have been over in a few sentences:

LEO 1: Sir, may I talk with you a minute please. I am asking on behalf of IKEA for you to please leave the store and property. They ask that you please do not return to their store.

OCer: Yes officer, I will leave immediately.

The fact that IKEA doesn't want him there is frustrating to me and others on this forum, but understandable. The problem with the situation is that IKEA unnecessarily called the cops, and the cops tried to give the guy a hard time for doing something completely legal.

I will be on an extended road trip and if I want to carry in OR and NV, I will have to Open Carry because they don't have reciprocity with Texas. This situation is one of many that I would not appreciate happening, especially because I will be away from my Home State where I know my laws backwards and forwards.

Kudos to the guy OCing for remaining calm, knowing his laws, and not allowing his rights to be stepped on. I think it is a good lesson if you are going to OC, you should always have a recorder when you step out the door.
    Glock 26 w/ CTAC IWB

"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far" - Theodore Roosevelt

2. Remove Ads

The last time I went to the IKEA stores in Round Rock and Houston, Texas, neither prohibited concealed carry. So it must not be a corporate policy, at least where concealed carry is concerned. No open carry allowed at all in Texas, yet.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

EW3
    Well, I happen to like IKEA; my kitchen I'm building is mostly IKEA, and it's far from college dorm stuff. They never know I have a pistol in my pocket and that's how I like it. How is this different from any OC experience around the sheeple? Just another reason I'll never OC, even though it's legal in PA.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Quote Originally Posted by T Vance View Post
    That is there right to make that decision, just like it is my right to open carry in the State of Michigan.
    Fair enough. And I agree the cops could have been more professional about it. But I wouldn't say IKEA Corp is anti RKBA because of this specific incident.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

They can take their scandinavian crap back to scandinavia and their business with them.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Bm7b5 View Post
    Fair enough. And I agree the cops could have been more professional about it. But I wouldn't say IKEA Corp is anti RKBA because of this specific incident.
    Just "anti RKBA in their stores".

As an LEO (albeit not in the US) I have to say it immediately sets off a flag for me if I'm speaking to someone for any reason and they do not want to even tell me their name...If you are not doing anything wrong, what do you have to hide?

If i'm not working, and I have a conversation with someone, I usually introduce myself, and I do the same on duty - if i've just introduced myself, i honestly think it's just plain rude not to tell me what your name is.

Please do not get the idea that i am anti gun, anti CC or OC, I am probably Australia's biggest fan of your right to bear arms, which we increaasingly are losing! But just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD - I am legally allowed to urinate on the left rear wheel of a car parked beside a highway...but I have never taken the opportunity.

If I ever had the opportunity to visit or live in the US, I would take adavantage of ther opportunity to Carry if possible, but even if I was allowed to OC, I don't think I would.

Justy my $0.02 worth

stay safe

Aidan Lemay

Quote Originally Posted by aozlawman View Post
    As an LEO (albeit not in the US) I have to say it immediately sets off a flag for me if I'm speaking to someone for any reason and they do not want to even tell me their name...If you are not doing anything wrong, what do you have to hide?
    Understandable that it may set off a flag, but the fact of the matter is I was not committing ANY crime, or breaking ANY law, so I'm not required to produce an ID or my name. The only thing I was doing by not telling them my name was keeping them from being able to write me with a bogus charge (as you could see they were trying to trump one up - Trespass). My name was irrelavent in this situation. Why else would they need my name?

A neighboring cities police department to Canton just charged an OCer with brandishing because he was OCing today(not waving it around, or flourishing it). Again, another officer(s) writing/arresting people on false charges all because THEY either don't like people OCing, or they don't like the people that OC.

Like I said on this forum, I had a previous negative LEO experience a few months ago (and several others many years ago), and I was more than cooperative, but it almost came back to bite me in the a$$ (they wanted to charge me with a 5 year felony, even though no crime was committed).

Quote Originally Posted by T Vance View Post
    I was the person who was OCing that day. Sure I could have just gave the officer my info, but by just reading my original story it fails to give the reader the attitude the officer had right out of the gate. I also had a previous experience with several LEO's several months ago where I decided to be very cooperative, only to have it almost come back and bite me in the a$$. So with my previous negative encounter, and a new encounter were a officer starts off with an attitude, I hope you could understand why I might have been hesitant to give out my ID, or even my name.

I also have heard things about the Canton Police prior to my experience they didn't portray them in the best light.

Like you pointed out, I don't HAVE to provide my name or ID since I was not commiting any crime. We will never know how the situation might have played out had I "cooperated" with these LEO's. At NO time was I being difficult. I kept my answers short and simple (just like IKEA's response to my concern in their email they sent me - which is now on the link posted at the top). My fiance at no time was being difficult either, and I find it ridiculous that IKEA would prohibit her from their property (that day) just becaause she was shopping with a law abiding citizen.

Just thought I would inform you a little more on the situation, and how it should have been percieved, but it is your decision on how you want to interperate what I posted (which is understandable, because reading something that is written sometimes makes it hard to understand what it would have felt like to acctually be in that situation).
    Thanks for clarifying.

I've been to Canton a few times; why they decided to put up the Ikea there I'll never understand. (Since Ikea is the sort of store people often will drive across the state to go to) In fact, being in Canton is one of the reasons I haven't gotten around to visiting it yet.

I also found the response they sent you.. that's sad. Your experience is definitely worth more than a form letter.

Quote Originally Posted by aozlawman View Post

If i'm not working, and I have a conversation with someone, I usually introduce myself, and I do the same on duty - if i've just introduced myself, i honestly think it's just plain rude not to tell me what your name is.

Please do not get the idea that i am anti gun, anti CC or OC, I am probably Australia's biggest fan of your right to bear arms, which we increaasingly are losing! But just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD - I am legally allowed to urinate on the left rear wheel of a car parked beside a highway...but I have never taken the opportunity.

If I ever had the opportunity to visit or live in the US, I would take adavantage of ther opportunity to Carry if possible, but even if I was allowed to OC, I don't think I would.

Justy my $0.02 worth

stay safe

Aidan Lemay
    The real point of OC is that if we don't, eventually it will be so accepted that, even though it is legal, no one does it. We have to keep it up, to remind everyone that it is our right.

If they had your plate #, they had all your info before your tail lights were out of sight, and if they were going to jam you up they would have, regardless of your cooperation, or lack of. Perfect example why I never, never OC. Always fly under the radar.
    "Train Hard & Train Often"

-1 for the LEO in your situation. They sent 3 cars, to handle a law abiding person, exercising their rights. What a waste.

-1 for IKEA. Their employee obviously could have handled that much more easily. Maybe they could have just approached you.

I don't think people get that OC = someone willing to follow the law.

T Vance +100 for YOU. For being so cool in the situation! You handled yourself fantastically! You are a role model, a gentleman and an example to us all. By simply exercising your rights, you are making it easier for everyone.

This is exactly the type of situation that OC is about. Reminding the about their rights, so they don't vanish.

-M

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Welcome Mikestilly and T Vance

My eyes are kind of fuzzy from reading all of your posts (On the other board) on this matter, so before I forget Welcome to the DC Board, this is turning out to be a very educational experience for all of us.

The last I saw on the other board is that They would not release due to ongoing investigation? If they did not charge you with a crime at the scene I am curious what crime they could be investigating? What about asking your lawyer to request on your behalf? I assume your lawyer can do this without giving your name?
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

never seen an IKEA, butill make sure not to shop there lol
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

I was in IKEA last week picking up 2 book shelf units. I was cc'ing there, but one of the store guys noticed my Glock when I put the heavy unit on the cart. I did get nervous that they would inform the local PD and create a scene. A woman came up to me and politely asked me if she could be of help. I said no. Walked to the checkout area and left. No incident even though they clearly saw my firearm.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links