IKEA is Anti-Concealed Carry and Open Carry Store and presumed anti-RTBA - Page 3

IKEA is Anti-Concealed Carry and Open Carry Store and presumed anti-RTBA

This is a discussion on IKEA is Anti-Concealed Carry and Open Carry Store and presumed anti-RTBA within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Greenman If they had your plate #, they had all your info before your tail lights were out of sight, and if ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 60
  1. #31
    New Member Array T Vance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Jackson, Mi
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
    If they had your plate #, they had all your info before your tail lights were out of sight, and if they were going to jam you up they would have, regardless of your cooperation, or lack of. Perfect example why I never, never OC. Always fly under the radar.
    Nope. They don't have squat from the license plate about me. The car is not registered to me.


  2. #32
    New Member Array T Vance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Jackson, Mi
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfshead View Post
    I was in IKEA last week picking up 2 book shelf units. I was cc'ing there, but one of the store guys noticed my Glock when I put the heavy unit on the cart. I did get nervous that they would inform the local PD and create a scene. A woman came up to me and politely asked me if she could be of help. I said no. Walked to the checkout area and left. No incident even though they clearly saw my firearm.
    No reason to be nervous. As long as you are carrying lawfully, there should be nothing to fear. I'm not sure if your state is a "No ID state", but if it is and you choose to, you don't have to tell the police who you are.

    Another reason I like to OC. Instead of someone getting a glimpse of what they think is a gun, and freak out, I'd rather that they positively know that I have a gun....and then freak out!

  3. #33
    Member Array Precision's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by aozlawman View Post
    As an LEO (albeit not in the US) I have to say it immediately sets off a flag for me if I'm speaking to someone for any reason and they do not want to even tell me their name...If you are not doing anything wrong, what do you have to hide?
    In the US we are not mandated to co-operate with police, especially when they are in the WRONG. 5th amendment -right to keep your mouth shut because EVERYTHING you say WILL be used against you. And lack of a response is in NO WAY a measure of guilt
    Potentially the 4th amendment - protection from search without cause
    and let us not forget the 2nd amendment-- guns are your friend

    bottom line--unless the LEO has a warrant, I don't have to talk to him. Out of courtesy, I may. In this instance I would have either stated that I am within the law (spirit and letter) and asked what exactly the problem was OR I may have handed them my carry permit and asked what the problem was. BUT the choice is MINE.
    Quote Originally Posted by aozlawman View Post
    If i'm not working, and I have a conversation with someone, I usually introduce myself, and I do the same on duty - if i've just introduced myself, i honestly think it's just plain rude not to tell me what your name is.
    and off duty in a social setting I agree. In a uniformed setting when you initiate a hostile action, I don't agree. circumstances depending, I may just be acting in my own self interest until I see the situation play out a little further.

    Quote Originally Posted by aozlawman
    Please do not get the idea that i am anti gun, anti CC or OC, I am probably Australia's biggest fan of your right to bear arms, which we increaasingly are losing! But just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD - I am legally allowed to urinate on the left rear wheel of a car parked beside a highway...but I have never taken the opportunity.

    If I ever had the opportunity to visit or live in the US, I would take adavantage of ther opportunity to Carry if possible, but even if I was allowed to OC, I don't think I would.

    Justy my $0.02 worth

    stay safe

    Aidan Lemay
    and you have the right to not OC. Your choice. HOWEVER LEO's deciding for you (or trying to) in locations where OC is legal, NEED to be challenged. A right undefended is a right lost. And as you well know (from Australian law changes) loss of gun rights is an incremental thing. Each year you wake up with a little less and eventually, you have no rights. Some of us will not stand quietly by...and it is much easier to NOT LOSE them, than to regain them.

  4. #34
    New Member Array T Vance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Jackson, Mi
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Precision View Post
    and you have the right to not OC. Your choice. HOWEVER LEO's deciding for you (or trying to) in locations where OC is legal, NEED to be challenged. A right undefended is a right lost. And as you well know (from Australian law changes) loss of gun rights is an incremental thing. Each year you wake up with a little less and eventually, you have no rights. Some of us will not stand quietly by...and it is much easier to NOT LOSE them, than to regain them.
    I only selected to "quote" this part of you comment, but KUDO's to EVERYTHING you wrote Precision! That is exactley how I thought about the situation. I also forgot to mention the fact last night when I responded to the guy from Australia about the fact they are getting stripped of their guns.

    It's reasons like that that I choose to OC. I also do it to help educate the public, make it aware that it is legal, show a possible criminal that I am armed and they might want to choose another target, and also to let people know that I will not let any government authority stop me from exercising my right to carry in a lawful mannor.

  5. #35
    New Member Array mikestilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    9
    I am still really surprised at how they handled the fact that instead of simply asking you to leave or put your pistol in your car they made a huge incident out of it by calling the police. There is no excuse to call the police when someone is doing something 100% legal. Then they proceeded to say they don't ask people to leave they call the police. The dispatcher should have told loss prevention if you want them to leave go do it yourself.

  6. #36
    VIP Member Array Tom G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,375
    We have one of their stores here and the wife and I were about to check it out. Thanks for the information. I will mark this one off my list of places to buy from. I say buy American.

  7. #37
    Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    10,572
    The IKEA store out here in Tempe, AZ has some goofy happy-face sign with the notation to the effect that they are a peace-loving store. Haven't been there in a while, so don't hold me to the exact verbiage, but their not-so-clear intent is that they don't want people carrying guns in their store. My view is two-fold: (1) their cutesy sign is not at all clear about "no firearms", and (2) concealed is concealed.

    Also, not all their stuff is junk or college dorm room quality, although I am disappointed that nearly every product comes from China. I enjoy shopping there infrequently, but that would end in a heartbeat if they posted a serious and unambiguous "no firearms" sign.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

  8. #38
    New Member Array T Vance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Jackson, Mi
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    My view is two-fold: (1) their cutesy sign is not at all clear about "no firearms", and (2) concealed is concealed.

    I enjoy shopping there infrequently, but that would end in a heartbeat if they posted a serious and unambiguous "no firearms" sign.
    And "open is open". That is how I was carrying that day, and how I usually carry, but the choice is up to the individual.

    As far as their "no firearms sign" goes, there was no sign on the door when I entered, but here is a copy of the email they sent me in response to my email. So the question is, would you stop shopping there only if the store you visit has a sign, or after reading their "policy" that was sent to me? Again, that decision is up to the individual. Just curious though.

    "Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

    As a private company on private property, IKEA reserves the right to
    not allow weapons inside our store.

    We do apologize for any inconvenience, and we thank you for your
    inquiry.

    Best Regards,
    NEIL
    IKEA Customer Care Center
    "

  9. #39
    VIP Member Array chiefjason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Posts
    2,783
    My wife has been talking about going to the one in Charlotte, NC when we are down that way. It's pretty infrequent anyway. Told her yesterday we would not be checking out IKEA. She asked why. I told her about your issues and the email and here response was, "Oh, OK." Probably saved me some money I can use to fund a gun purchase!

  10. #40
    VIP Member
    Array DaveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Posts
    5,036
    Quote Originally Posted by aozlawman View Post
    As an LEO (albeit not in the US) I have to say it immediately sets off a flag for me if I'm speaking to someone for any reason and they do not want to even tell me their name...If you are not doing anything wrong, what do you have to hide?

    ....

    Aidan Lemay
    Here in the US no legal inference can be drawn from failure to talk to the police. See: YouTube - Don't Talk to Cops, Part 1 and YouTube - Don't Talk to Cops, Part 2

    Many of us in the US are very sensitive about a "Papers Please!" society. It goes well beyond disdain of "internal passports" provisions of some totalitarian regimes.

    In our Bill of Rights we are protected against unreasonable searches and seizures and against being compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against ourself.

    In many of our States, these values are codified by State statute, by common law, and/or by legal judicial precedent -- e.g., here in Virginia one is only required to identify oneself if exercising a "privilege" requiring a licensing (e.g., driving on a public road) or if detained (however briefly) in an investigation (i.e., a Terry Stop).

    Also, here in Virginia (see http://www.courts.state.va.us/opinio...wp/1971061.pdf), as elsewhere (e.g., see http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-carrying.html), carrying a firearm if not a valid cause for an LEO to initiate a Terry Stop.

    As open carry was legal (as in 42 States), these officers had no cause to even ask his name.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

    I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

    I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

    Veni, Vidi, Velcro

  11. #41
    Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    10,572
    Quote Originally Posted by T Vance View Post
    And "open is open". That is how I was carrying that day, and how I usually carry, but the choice is up to the individual.

    As far as their "no firearms sign" goes, there was no sign on the door when I entered, but here is a copy of the email they sent me in response to my email. So the question is, would you stop shopping there only if the store you visit has a sign, or after reading their "policy" that was sent to me? Again, that decision is up to the individual. Just curious though.

    "Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

    As a private company on private property, IKEA reserves the right to
    not allow weapons inside our store.

    We do apologize for any inconvenience, and we thank you for your
    inquiry.

    Best Regards,
    NEIL
    IKEA Customer Care Center
    "

    My "concealed is concealed" remark was just about my shopping at the local IKEA, in light of their sign which requires some clairvoyance to understand clearly. However, more to your point, AZ is an open carry state and absent any signage at the store entrance prohibiting carriage of arms, I wouldn't feel the need to disarm myself upon entering.

    As to the email response you got from IKEA, how much more ambiguous can they get? They define their rights as a private enterprise, but leave you hanging as far as a statement of policy. The clown who wrote that lacks the gonads to step up and clearly state "no guns allowed in our stores." I'm enough of a troublemaker to poke back at them and get them to commit in writing that they do not allow firearms in their store, and to ask them how a potential shopper is supposed to know their store policy if it isn't clearly posted.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

  12. #42
    New Member Array T Vance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Jackson, Mi
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    As to the email response you got from IKEA, how much more ambiguous can they get? They define their rights as a private enterprise, but leave you hanging as far as a statement of policy. The clown who wrote that lacks the gonads to step up and clearly state "no guns allowed in our stores." I'm enough of a troublemaker to poke back at them and get them to commit in writing that they do not allow firearms in their store, and to ask them how a potential shopper is supposed to know their store policy if it isn't clearly posted.
    Here is a response another MOC member recieved after emailing them about thier "policy".

    "Hey I got a reply...


    Dear Mr. (Me)
    Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns. We appreciate your feedback.
    At IKEA, we choose to be a weapons free environment.

    Have a good day,
    Wendy"


    So I guess it IS in writing now.

  13. #43
    Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,572
    Ok, so I'm eating ice cream out of my IKEA bowl as I read this.
    IKEA is heavily influenced by their socialist, post-modern scandinavian roots (I'm Swedish so I can say that ). I have a friend who was needing a job and looked at applying there and he ran into an aweful lot of their "way-beyond-diversity" company policies that he decided to find work elsewhere.

    So, no big surprises here. However, the employee should have asked you to leave himself. And the Cops should have handled it better.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

  14. #44
    Member Array bstrawse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    153
    I sent a note over to the local Ikea store here in Minnesota.
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

  15. #45
    Member Array Right Wing Wacko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    79
    IKEA is free to have any rules they want.

    I am free to spend my money they way I please.
    I choose to NEVER spend a dime at IKEA.
    --
    Your second amendment rights are showing!
    http://www.opencarry.org

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. California Anti-Open Carry Law
    By UncleDannie in forum Open Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: October 12th, 2011, 01:51 PM
  2. Funny concealed carry with an obviously OPEN carry holster I saw today...
    By targus in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 19th, 2010, 06:09 PM
  3. Open carry inside house in a concealed carry state...
    By RogerThat in forum Open Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: January 3rd, 2010, 08:40 PM
  4. Anti Open Carry Article in Michigan State University Newspaper
    By Grislic in forum Open Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: August 5th, 2008, 12:18 AM

Search tags for this page

ccw ikea
,

concealed carry ikea

,
concealed carry in ikea
,
gun and ikea
,

ikea anti gun

,
ikea antigun
,
ikea ccw
,

ikea concealed carry

,
ikea concealed carry policy
,

ikea gun ban

,

ikea gun policy

,
ikea weapon policy
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors