IKEA is Anti-Concealed Carry and Open Carry Store and presumed anti-RTBA

This is a discussion on IKEA is Anti-Concealed Carry and Open Carry Store and presumed anti-RTBA within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just posting this for all you people out there so you are aware and dont run in to the same situation as one of us ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: IKEA is Anti-Concealed Carry and Open Carry Store and presumed anti-RTBA

Just posting this for all you people out there so you are aware and dont run in to the same situation as one of us have. To read about the experience. Here it is: Negative LEO/IKEA Encounter - Michigan - Stories From The States - OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum

Pretty much in short they don't allow pistols in their store and if they figure out you have one on you they wont tell you to leave they will immediately call the police on you and if handled similar to the person above ban you and any of your guests from their store pertinently. I've never been in these fuufuu stores but I'm glad I haven't. They will never get a penny of my money. They can take their furnature and shove it where the sun dont shine.

Mike

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Me either. I've seen some of the stuff they sell on TV and on line, and no thanks. Just one more reason not to waste my money there
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Well...the problem with their tactic (in VA) is: they have to ask you to leave (signs to not hold legal weight)...otherwise, the police can't do a thing (again, in VA)

That's why when I get dragged to to places like IKEA--concealed is concealed
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Isn't IKEA a company with Scandinavian roots? I'm not surprised one bit that they are not friendly to 2A.

I detest that cheap ass crap that they peddle and don't support them for that reason. This is just another to make sure my $$$ never goes their way.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Well...the problem with their tactic (in VA) is: they have to ask you to leave (signs to not hold legal weight)...otherwise, the police can't do a thing (again, in VA)

That's why when I get dragged to to places like IKEA--concealed is concealed
    Agreed. I was in both the Tampa and Orlando Ikea in the last two weeks. No signs (and even if there were ....). Concealed is Concealed!

However, this does kind of answer the question I was having as I saw Europa dripping in the store. I just figured as a Sweden based company their corporate view would be verrrrry narrow. It appears I was correct and the story above by the OP is why you don't ask them. Knowing now how they are I will be more reluctant to give them my money. Primer on Swedish gun laws by google foo.

Quote below from the Primer. Funny, our guns are safer by implication. I'm sure the Swedes can be just as safe as any given the chance...
    Handguns are considered more dangerous here,...
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

IKEA always gave me the creeps. Now here's a good reason not to spend my hard earned money there. My wife set up a conservative business meetup group here in Austin TX because we're sick of spending our money at liberal owned businesses.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

They don't have one in my area... So, don't think there will be a chance of me shopping in one.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Bill View Post
    IKEA always gave me the creeps. Now here's a good reason not to spend my hard earned money there. My wife set up a conservative business meetup group here in Austin TX because we're sick of spending our money at liberal owned businesses.
    if she creates a list PM me with it please
    jersey no more.. im a texan now

Hrm.

The entire thing sits kind of unwell with me. While I understand that the person did not have to show the LEO their ID, if they had simply done so and had an exchange on how OC is legal, I imagine the entire thing would have gone significantly different.

From the employee's perspective, it did certainly seem that the two patrons were being difficult. And for a lot of people, being stubborn with LEO (even while being well within your rights) is enough to send off a flag. I can see them easily banning them from the store for that kind of reaction, had it been for something not firearms related.

Lastly, I think it is a bit hasty to ban the store just because the employee available decided to ban them. I wonder what position the employee had, and what standing it has. I'd also like to see what Ikea corporate has to say about it.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Ikea furniture is for college dorm rooms. That's about it.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

The employee in question was the Loss Prevention Manager.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    Ikea furniture is for college dorm rooms. That's about it.
    IKEA is to furniture what MIM parts are to guns

Cheap and prone to break at the worst moment

A manager at a particular IKEA store didn't want someone openly carrying a gun in this store. I don't think that is an unreasonable business perspective.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlis View Post
    Hrm.

The entire thing sits kind of unwell with me. While I understand that the person did not have to show the LEO their ID, if they had simply done so and had an exchange on how OC is legal, I imagine the entire thing would have gone significantly different.

From the employee's perspective, it did certainly seem that the two patrons were being difficult. And for a lot of people, being stubborn with LEO (even while being well within your rights) is enough to send off a flag. I can see them easily banning them from the store for that kind of reaction, had it been for something not firearms related.

Lastly, I think it is a bit hasty to ban the store just because the employee available decided to ban them. I wonder what position the employee had, and what standing it has. I'd also like to see what Ikea corporate has to say about it.
    I was the person who was OCing that day. Sure I could have just gave the officer my info, but by just reading my original story it fails to give the reader the attitude the officer had right out of the gate. I also had a previous experience with several LEO's several months ago where I decided to be very cooperative, only to have it almost come back and bite me in the a$$. So with my previous negative encounter, and a new encounter were a officer starts off with an attitude, I hope you could understand why I might have been hesitant to give out my ID, or even my name.

I also have heard things about the Canton Police prior to my experience they didn't portray them in the best light.

Like you pointed out, I don't HAVE to provide my name or ID since I was not commiting any crime. We will never know how the situation might have played out had I "cooperated" with these LEO's. At NO time was I being difficult. I kept my answers short and simple (just like IKEA's response to my concern in their email they sent me - which is now on the link posted at the top). My fiance at no time was being difficult either, and I find it ridiculous that IKEA would prohibit her from their property (that day) just becaause she was shopping with a law abiding citizen.

Just thought I would inform you a little more on the situation, and how it should have been percieved, but it is your decision on how you want to interperate what I posted (which is understandable, because reading something that is written sometimes makes it hard to understand what it would have felt like to acctually be in that situation).

Quote Originally Posted by Bm7b5 View Post
    A manager at a particular IKEA store didn't want someone openly carrying a gun in this store. I don't think that is an unreasonable business perspective.
    That is there right to make that decision, just like it is my right to open carry in the State of Michigan.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links