Positive open carry in alabama today.

This is a discussion on Positive open carry in alabama today. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So i was coming home from my girlfriends house in gardendale about midnight tonight. I was thirsty so i stopped at a cheveron right by ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: Positive open carry in alabama today.

  1. #1
    Member Array fox2102's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    vestavia hills, AL
    Posts
    274

    Positive open carry in alabama today.

    So i was coming home from my girlfriends house in gardendale about midnight tonight. I was thirsty so i stopped at a cheveron right by the interstate to get a drink. Well as I'm pulling in I see a gardendale squad car in the parking lot. For some reason I was feeling adventurous and slightly curious to see how it would play out. So since I was already OCing my 1911 in an IWB holster i figured to just go with it. SO I walk in and say hello to the clerk and the officer and i head for the drinks. Well as i walk up to the counter they both kinda stop and look at me. The clerk glances toward my gun and then checks me out. She tells me to have a goodnight and then I leave without so much as a word said. =]

    The officer seemed to be middle aged and had probably been a LEO for some time. Wonder if it would have turned out differently with a younger inexperienced LEO

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Member Array I carry IWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    72
    LEOs commonly refer to gas stations in the early morning hours here as "Stop & Robs." Even in an OC state, walking into a Stop 'n' Rob at midnight with a holstered 1911 worn IWB in plain view seems more than a little "adventurous."

    I love open-carry because if the wind were to blow my cover garment up and over my piece, or if my shirt got stuck up on my pistol for whatever reason, I wouldn't get in trouble for brandishing, so I consider open-carry more of a safeguard than anything. If I were you I'd keep it concealed whenever possible. I understand OC is indeed a personal decision many people make though, so don't take my previous sentence as a suggestion - I'm just saying, if I were you. I support OC for different reasons than most, I'd assume. Massad Ayoob has talked about it on at least one occasion, and I feel I'm mostly on the same page with his logic.

    Anyhow, I'm glad everything went alright with you!

  4. #3
    Senior Member Array EvilMonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    N. Kentucky Area
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by fox2102 View Post
    The officer seemed to be middle aged and had probably been a LEO for some time. Wonder if it would have turned out differently with a younger inexperienced LEO
    You know how that would have turned out.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

    Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

    Convenire Volui Spectatus

  5. #4
    Member Array I carry IWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    72
    Wow, Alabama is a traditional open-carry state. 18 y/o to carry and without a license anywhere except a vehicle. Hmm. I'm still sticking to what I had said in my above post regarding my opinion towards open-carry. If I lived in Alabama and had a license to conceal, I'd keep it concealed. I wish we had OC here in Texas though to some degree, just for the reason I stated above (to protect against the odd chance of accidental exposure of firearm). Take it easy.

  6. #5
    Member Array Monkeytown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by I carry IWB View Post
    Wow, Alabama is a traditional open-carry state. 18 y/o to carry and without a license anywhere except a vehicle. Hmm. I'm still sticking to what I had said in my above post regarding my opinion towards open-carry. If I lived in Alabama and had a license to conceal, I'd keep it concealed. I wish we had OC here in Texas though to some degree, just for the reason I stated above (to protect against the odd chance of accidental exposure of firearm). Take it easy.
    The problem in AL is that many LEO do not recognize our right to open carry. Many Sheriff's include the words "this permit does not allow you to open carry" on the CCP, as well as other restrictions that are not part of the law. Alabama is a "May" issue state. So here is the scenario...

    1. I open carry, b/c it's legal;
    2. LEO decides I'm not supposed to;
    3. I get ticketed for disorderly conduct or some other misc. offense;
    4. Sheriff revokes my permit as his "discretion".

    Kinda sucks!! We are trying to get the legislature here to change the law so it is CLEAR that it is legal to OC and to make AL a "Shall Issue" state.

    I think the OP's purpose was to show that he was not harassed by LEO for open carry in AL. Nothing more, nothing less.

    JMHO,
    MT
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

    Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

  7. #6
    Member Array fox2102's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    vestavia hills, AL
    Posts
    274
    That's strange because on my permit I have no restrictions written on it at all. Are the restrictions varied depending on the county?

    And normally I do CC but i wanted to see how it would turn out

  8. #7
    Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeytown View Post
    1. I open carry, b/c it's legal; I do the same. I am starting to love OC.
    2. LEO decides I'm not supposed to;
    3. I get ticketed for disorderly conduct or some other misc. offense; Not sure if it was the US Supreme court or not, but it was ruled that Open carry is not disorderly conduct, but that may just be specific to my state, sorry if it is.
    4. Sheriff revokes my permit as his "discretion". I love Shall Issue

    My replies are in bold
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

    Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

  9. #8
    VIP Member Array TN_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shelby County TN
    Posts
    11,097
    Quote Originally Posted by I carry IWB View Post
    LEOs commonly refer to gas stations in the early morning hours here as "Stop & Robs." Even in an OC state, walking into a Stop 'n' Rob at midnight with a holstered 1911 worn IWB in plain view seems more than a little "adventurous."

    I love open-carry because if the wind were to blow my cover garment up and over my piece, or if my shirt got stuck up on my pistol for whatever reason, I wouldn't get in trouble for brandishing, so I consider open-carry more of a safeguard than anything. If I were you I'd keep it concealed whenever possible. I understand OC is indeed a personal decision many people make though, so don't take my previous sentence as a suggestion - I'm just saying, if I were you. I support OC for different reasons than most, I'd assume. Massad Ayoob has talked about it on at least one occasion, and I feel I'm mostly on the same page with his logic.

    Anyhow, I'm glad everything went alright with you!
    Just a friendly reminder, this is the OPEN CARRY topic section of the website. It is not the place to come and tell people that you think they should conceal. That gets threads closed down and people in trouble.

    I used to live in Alabama and I never was brave enough to OC when we lived there even though the is an Alabama AG opinion that states OC is legal. It always just seemed that there were no LEOs that knew it was legal. I just didn't want to be the test case.

    Glad it seems to be starting to change though...
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

  10. #9
    Member Array I carry IWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    72
    TN Mike,

    You quoted my words , "If I were you I'd keep it concealed whenever possible," in bold. I believe you took my statement completely out of context. Immediately after I made that statement I wrote, "I understand OC is indeed a personal decision many people make though, so don't take my previous sentence as a suggestion..." I wouldn't tell anyone how to live their life. I was merely placing myself within his shoes. Theoretically speaking, my words were no different than you saying, "I just didn't want to be the test case." I don't think we'll have to worry about anyone getting in trouble or having this thread closed down as long as everyone follows the rules. So far there has been no breach in doctrine to the rules. Take care and keep enjoying DefensiveCarry.com!

  11. #10
    Member Array Monkeytown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by fox2102 View Post
    That's strange because on my permit I have no restrictions written on it at all. Are the restrictions varied depending on the county?

    And normally I do CC but i wanted to see how it would turn out
    It must vary. I am in Elmore County and have 6-8 restrictions on mine, including the following that are not restricted by "law" but by the conditions set on my permit by the Sheriff.

    - no carry in public buildings
    - no carry in establishments that serve alcohol;
    - no carry while consuming alcohol;
    - void if arrested for ANY reason.

    Since AL is a "may issue" state I have no redress if the Sheriff decides to revoke my permit for violtaing any of these conditions. If we can get the state to "Shall Issue" then the Sheriff cannot place conditions on our permits above and beyond those of the State Law (which includes very few restrictions).

    Where is Livingston County?

    MT
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

    Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

  12. #11
    Member Array Monkeytown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Just a friendly reminder, this is the OPEN CARRY topic section of the website. It is not the place to come and tell people that you think they should conceal. That gets threads closed down and people in trouble.

    I used to live in Alabama and I never was brave enough to OC when we lived there even though the is an Alabama AG opinion that states OC is legal. It always just seemed that there were no LEOs that knew it was legal. I just didn't want to be the test case.

    Glad it seems to be starting to change though...
    My wife's uncle is a local LEO and her aunt is an ADA in this county and neither of them knows the law. He actually told me it was illegal. I have yet to show him the AG opinion, but feel b/c it's dated 1984 I will get the "that's changed since then" response. I haven't been brave enough to OC b/c I do not wish to lose my permit to CC.

    MT
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

    Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

  13. #12
    Member Array fox2102's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    vestavia hills, AL
    Posts
    274
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeytown View Post
    It must vary. I am in Elmore County and have 6-8 restrictions on mine, including the following that are not restricted by "law" but by the conditions set on my permit by the Sheriff.

    - no carry in public buildings
    - no carry in establishments that serve alcohol;
    - no carry while consuming alcohol;
    - void if arrested for ANY reason.

    Since AL is a "may issue" state I have no redress if the Sheriff decides to revoke my permit for violtaing any of these conditions. If we can get the state to "Shall Issue" then the Sheriff cannot place conditions on our permits above and beyond those of the State Law (which includes very few restrictions).

    Where is Livingston County?

    MT
    Livingston is in sumter county. It's on the mississippi boarder. I now live in jefferson county though. I dont know if my permit will have more restrictions on it if i get it renewed here or not

  14. #13
    Member Array danxd45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by I carry IWB View Post
    LEOs commonly refer to gas stations in the early morning hours here as "Stop & Robs." Even in an OC state, walking into a Stop 'n' Rob at midnight with a holstered 1911 worn IWB in plain view seems more than a little "adventurous."

    I love open-carry because if the wind were to blow my cover garment up and over my piece, or if my shirt got stuck up on my pistol for whatever reason, I wouldn't get in trouble for brandishing, so I consider open-carry more of a safeguard than anything. If I were you I'd keep it concealed whenever possible. I understand OC is indeed a personal decision many people make though, so don't take my previous sentence as a suggestion - I'm just saying, if I were you. I support OC for different reasons than most, I'd assume. Massad Ayoob has talked about it on at least one occasion, and I feel I'm mostly on the same page with his logic.



    Anyhow, I'm glad everything went alright with you!
    I don't think mike took what you said out of context, but he probably did the exact same thing I did, and stopped reading your post as soon as he got to the "i would keep it concealed" part, because the forum heading states.....

    This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry.

    Why would you even make a post like that in a forum dedicated to discussion about open carry between people who open carry on a regular basis?

  15. #14
    Member Array I carry IWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    72

    Well

    Quote Originally Posted by danxd45 View Post
    I don't think mike took what you said out of context, but he probably did the exact same thing I did, and stopped reading your post as soon as he got to the "i would keep it concealed" part, because the forum heading states.....

    This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry.

    Why would you even make a post like that in a forum dedicated to discussion about open carry between people who open carry on a regular basis?

    That's why it's always best to finish hearing out (or in this case reading) what someone has written before jumping the gun on making follow-up comments. In effect he did indeed take what I'd said out of context. In any case, why are you speaking on his behalf?

    The fashion in which this thread was started left the original poster's actions up for critique or commentary. My reply to his post was pretty well rounded. My original post in this thread wasn't a flagrant attempt to disapprove of open-carry, or approve of it for that matter, but rather purely what I would have done in the original poster's shoes (As I explained earlier).

    If we all take the time to start reading something someone has written, it only makes sense to finish it in order to avoid confusion which could cause meaningless argument and debate - which was exactly the circumstance in this particular instance. I find that I'm defending myself to some degree from what I feel to be personal attacks as a result, which is more than a little silly. In no way do I feel I ever purely discussed the "virtues of open vs. concealed carry." I kept things pertinent to the post that started this thread, and don't see any issues regarding formality. It's no good when a thread gets off track from a good start; which is exactly what has happened here. Get real guys. Now I better go watch some National Geographic to regain the the IQ points I've potentially lost from reading your post.

  16. #15
    Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    huntsville AL
    Posts
    527
    im in madison county..i have a hard plastic permit that has no restrictions written on it but i also have a paper one that says "THIS DOES NOT PERMIT YOU TO CARRY OPENLY AS AN OFFICER".
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Open carry in Alabama
    By djeffreys10 in forum Open Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: June 1st, 2012, 11:14 AM
  2. Open carry in Alabama!
    By bigo5552000 in forum Open Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: April 17th, 2009, 12:12 AM

Search tags for this page

alabama concealed carry sumter
,
alabama state laws on a pistal
,
gardendale al open carry
,
huntsville, alabama open carry law
,

is alabama an open carry state

,
is it legal to open carry in jefferson county alabama
,
is open carry legal in jefferson county alabama
,
jefferson co alabama open carry
,
madison alabama open carry
,
open carry in madison county alabama
,
open carry laws alabama consume alcohol
,
sumter county alabama concealed carry
Click on a term to search for related topics.