Had positive OC experiences

This is a discussion on Had positive OC experiences within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had my Ohio CHL since January of this year and before selling it, I carried and M&P 9c regularly. One day, I decided ...

Thread: Had positive OC experiences

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

Had positive OC experiences

I have had my Ohio CHL since January of this year and before selling it, I carried and M&P 9c regularly. One day, I decided to OC into CVS to get my sons medications filled. Nobody said a word, only had a little old lady bug her eyes out at it, but nothing said, very uneventful.

Both Fri, Sat and today, I OC'ed into a couple fast food places, both Fri and Sat they were dead. The manager noticed it on Fri and started calling me sir and such but never mentioned it, but i saw him looking straight at it. A guy locally that OC's ALOT says that they tend to think anyone with a gun in there is a cop since it is downtown by the court house. Today, the place had quite a few people, not as many as a Sat morning, but not one person noticed that I know of, the manager may have, but she did not mention it or anything, but she did give me a funny look.

I have thought about OC'ing when I go grocery shopping. I am not sure the reaction I would get since the store has an off duty LEO working security there.

So far, all positive uneventful days, just the way it should be.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I OC when I go out of town and look forward to it. Never had anyone say a thing except for one man at a hotel. He was standing outside his room helping his gilrfriend ( I assume ) with her luggage. He looked at my gun and said " Oooo, look at that big gun". He seemed surprised but didnt freak.
    Most people dont even notice....
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

FL does not allow OC, but this past summer we ventured up to the Northern states and I bought a great OWB holster to give OC a whirl.
    I felt completely awkward and remained CC most of the time. That was in KY, IN, and MI. I was just not sure of the reaction. Actually, part of the reason was that while we were in IN, three escaped convicts were right behind my son's place (a 3 square mile area)...there were a billion cops spread out like ants...everywhere...I just didn't want the attention.
    I did, however, discover how comfortable the OWB holster was...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I am occasionally OCing to keep it in people's stream of conscience that OC is legal in AZ. I have never had a problem and most don't notice. The few who do, seldom say a word.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I started paying a little more attention to the way people look at me when I don't OC. I have come to the conclusion that the funny looks I think are directed at me for OC'ing are just the way some people look.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    FL does not allow OC, but this past summer we ventured up to the Northern states and I bought a great OWB holster to give OC a whirl.
    I felt completely awkward and remained CC most of the time. That was in KY, IN, and MI. I was just not sure of the reaction. Actually, part of the reason was that while we were in IN, three escaped convicts were right behind my son's place (a 3 square mile area)...there were a billion cops spread out like ants...everywhere...I just didn't want the attention.
    I did, however, discover how comfortable the OWB holster was...

yeah OWB CC>IWB CC when i got to jacksonville i always carry OWB with my M&P40 in a sepra unless i carry the keltec which has the belt clip for IWB
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

I find it liberating to OC. Tonight we went out for pizza to a local joint, we are regular customers there and they pretty much know what we want when we walk in. We ate and the owner asked me if I was required to keep the gun concealed and I was like "nope, Ohio is an open carry state, anyone that can buy can OC, just not in a car". He seemed surprised about that. One of his teenage cooks asked how to get one and I explained the process.

I went to the bank due to some issues, was pocket carrying and found out the banker that I was working with has a CHL and use to be a combat firearms instructor. He said he loves it when he knows a customer is carrying, and my comment was, "you should be glad I am here". NOTE: the bank I use is not posted as a CPZ.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

That is all good to hear!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    I find it liberating to OC. Tonight we went out for pizza to a local joint, we are regular customers there and they pretty much know what we want when we walk in. We ate and the owner asked me if I was required to keep the gun concealed and I was like "nope, Ohio is an open carry state, anyone that can buy can OC, just not in a car". He seemed surprised about that. One of his teenage cooks asked how to get one and I explained the process.
    I have an Ohio CHL as well. I'd love to carry where I enjoy pizza, but I've yet to find a pizza joint that doesn't serve beer, which makes me an instant criminal if I carry therein.

I'm hoping a change in the General Assembly come next year will lead to sensible carry privledges in restaurants, as those Hoosiers next door enjoy.

There is only one shop I eat at, its a mom and pop type place and they do not serve. I too hope the G.A. will open up our rights a bit more, a few places I want to try that are new, but I do not know if they serve or not and I do not want to be an instant criminal.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Sounds like a good experience!

The open carry movement is a growing one for sure.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by Radionicist View Post
    I have an Ohio CHL as well. I'd love to carry where I enjoy pizza, but I've yet to find a pizza joint that doesn't serve beer, which makes me an instant criminal if I carry therein.

I'm hoping a change in the General Assembly come next year will lead to sensible carry privileges in restaurants, as those Hoosiers next door enjoy.
    Hold on a sec...

A couple years ago (not THAT long ago...) I was told in an OH CCW class that you COULD enter a food establishment that served beer as long as it was not the dreaded "Class D Liquor License" variety. Anything under that rating was legit. I remember this quite clearly, has this been changed?

Or is this only in correlation to OC?
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonk View Post
    Hold on a sec...

A couple years ago (not THAT long ago...) I was told in an OH CCW class that you COULD enter a food establishment that served beer as long as it was not the dreaded "Class D Liquor License" variety. Anything under that rating was legit. I remember this quite clearly, has this been changed?

Or is this only in correlation to OC?
    In Ohio, anyplace that serves alcohol for on premise consumption, you cannot carry. Examples: Texas Roadhouse, Applebees, Ruby Tuesdays, any bar. We are trying to get that changed, but so far, it has not passed committee.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    I have had my Ohio CHL since January of this year and before selling it, I carried and M&P 9c regularly. One day, I decided to OC into CVS to get my sons medications filled. Nobody said a word, only had a little old lady bug her eyes out at it, but nothing said, very uneventful.

Both Fri, Sat and today, I OC'ed into a couple fast food places, both Fri and Sat they were dead. The manager noticed it on Fri and started calling me sir and such but never mentioned it, but i saw him looking straight at it. A guy locally that OC's ALOT says that they tend to think anyone with a gun in there is a cop since it is downtown by the court house. Today, the place had quite a few people, not as many as a Sat morning, but not one person noticed that I know of, the manager may have, but she did not mention it or anything, but she did give me a funny look.

I have thought about OC'ing when I go grocery shopping. I am not sure the reaction I would get since the store has an off duty LEO working security there.

So far, all positive uneventful days, just the way it should be.
    I think a lot of people think OCers are cops. When I do OC I don't think people notice it to much. I stand 6'3" and weigh in at 270lbs so things go unnoticed.

I carry a mousegun, and I am about 240, so it may not get noticed much either. I dont mind, I dont like drama.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Links