Open Carry in Ohio

Open Carry in Ohio

This is a discussion on Open Carry in Ohio within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can anyone share their experience with open carry in Ohio....

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Carry in Ohio

Open Carry in Ohio

Can anyone share their experience with open carry in Ohio.

About a year ago I saw 2 guys both open carrying in a Subway sandwich shop here in Cincinnati. It made me look twice, and wonder for a moment if they were LEOs.

A moment later it hit me that all the customers at the store were carrying (myself concealed). One safe place to eat tha day. :-)

That is the only time I have seen a non LEO open carry in my 20 years here in Ohio.

Open Carry??

The only issue that is in the back of my mind if I were to do Open Carry is that if I am in a Stop and Rob and there is a BG that wants to Rob it, is he going to shoot me first and then rob the place since I am an easy Ambush target? I only CCW.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

From what I have heard Ohio is not open carry friendly. I'm sure that varies by location. I've never seen anyone open carry and I've lived here all my life.
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    The only issue that is in the back of my mind if I were to do Open Carry is that if I am in a Stop and Rob and there is a BG that wants to Rob it, is he going to shoot me first and then rob the place since I am an easy Ambush target? I only CCW.

lol tired argument
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Administrator
    Open carry is legal in Ohio, however, I don't recommend it in a lot of areas. Expect some 'trouble' from the sheeple.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    As said, it depends on your area. Where I live, I OC as often as I CC and have had no issues, but have not been doing it long. A guy on one of the Ohio boards I frequent OC's alot and has not had any issues, we are in the same city.

Cleveland I would not suggest trying, they are anti up there.

As for being picked off if you are OC'ing at the Stop N' Rob, that is said alot, but i have yet to hear about it happening. I have heard of people not committing their crime due to someone being armed.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    As said, it depends on your area. Where I live, I OC as often as I CC and have had no issues, but have not been doing it long. A guy on one of the Ohio boards I frequent OC's alot and has not had any issues, we are in the same city.

Cleveland I would not suggest trying, they are anti up there.

As for being picked off if you are OC'ing at the Stop N' Rob, that is said alot, but i have yet to hear about it happening. I have heard of people not committing their crime due to someone being armed.
    What city are you OC'ing in? I went to HS in southern Ohio (Ironton). It was illegal back in 1978, so I never noticed anyone. But I actually lived in KY where it was legal. I even OC'd around a Deputy when I was about 14 without any trouble.

I don't believe it has ever been "illegal" in Ohio. Technically, the only reason it is legal is we don't have a law against it. Currently, we only have a law (9.68) that gives preemption so cities *can't* make laws against carrying. That specific law also reiterates that Ohio citizens have a state constitutional right to self-defense and to carry.

Also, I have OCed several times in Dayton. The Hasty Tasty is where my OC group eats a lot and is very supportive.,
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    What city are you OC'ing in? I went to HS in southern Ohio (Ironton). It was illegal back in 1978, so I never noticed anyone. But I actually lived in KY where it was legal. I even OC'd around a Deputy when I was about 14 without any trouble.
    Not going to give me exact city, but I am about 40 minutes from Columbus.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

I will say if you open carry in NE ohio you'll get a hassle. It's just not seen in this area.
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

Thumbs up Ohio OC - Cincinnati

Well I regularly oc an cc depending on the weather, during this summer getting gas or out to eat, and what I might be wearing (some of my T shirts don't fit as well). In and around OTR (over the rhine) Clifton, and various other stops, or sometimes I just don't grab my cover shirt.
    Ok, Now I wear short milit hair, stand 6'4 250 dress respectable, wear oxfords... so usually don't have to many problems. Luckily Ohio has a Open Carry Law, and my Ohio CHL (concealed handgun license) is only necessary to carry concealed or to carry Open or Concealed in Neighboring state of Indiana.
    I have had a few sheeple kinda go bug eye, but for the most people are a lot more considerate to others, seen a most likely bad scene stop from happening, (I think i stopped a robbery once some unsavory looking folks came in then looked an left). Luckily I can wear while I drive my Company truck, with it being ok'd by employer but we lock up when going into a customers place. If your in OHIO you can find more on the OFCC site.

http://home.rr.com/cableguy
    Favorite recent Quote:
    "As long as I'm prosecutor, if someone comes into a store with a gun and I've said it before and I'll say it again they have forfeited their right not to be shot,"
    Hamilton County, Ohio - prosecutor; Joe Deters

Quote Originally Posted by Cableguy View Post
    Well I regularly oc an cc depending on the weather, during this summer getting gas or out to eat, and what I might be wearing (some of my T shirts don't fit as well). In and around OTR (over the rhine) Clifton, and various other stops, or sometimes I just don't grab my cover shirt.
    Ok, Now I wear short milit hair, stand 6'4 250 dress respectable, wear oxfords... so usually don't have to many problems. Luckily Ohio has a Open Carry Law, and my Ohio CHL (concealed handgun license) is only necessary to carry concealed or to carry Open or Concealed in Neighboring state of Indiana.
    I have had a few sheeple kinda go bug eye, but for the most people are a lot more considerate to others, seen a most likely bad scene stop from happening, (I think i stopped a robbery once some unsavory looking folks came in then looked an left). Luckily I can wear while I drive my Company truck, with it being ok'd by employer but we lock up when going into a customers place. If your in OHIO you can find more on the OFCC site.
    And just to be correct, Ohio does not have an open carry law. We have a constitutional agreement that we have the right to defend ourselves and we *lack* a law denying our ability to carry. The only law we have on the books is 9.68 which says in order to provide a uniform law across the state, excluding Federal and State law restrictions, "a person, without further license, permission, restriction, delay, or process, may own, possess, purchase, sell, transfer, transport, store, or keep any firearm, part of a firearm, its components, and its ammunition."

This is a restrictive law on municipalities and not "permission" to citizens. Ohio doesn't permit in their laws. They restrict. Anything not restricted is allowed, including the owning of machine guns and suppressors (with the usual required Fed involvement).

And you can find more information on that site, even if you aren't in Ohio :P
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

I have grown up in Ohio, and OC'd once many years ago. I had an encounter with the local PD, and nothing was said during our discussion.
    I have never understood OC, as I think that too many sheeple would freak out when you encounter them. I patiently waited on CC, and feel much better with it. With OC, I do not like the fact that the weapon is in full view, and that it could be taken from behind, etc. I do not want anybody to know that I am carrying.

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie B View Post
    I have grown up in Ohio, and OC'd once many years ago. I had an encounter with the local PD, and nothing was said during our discussion.
    I have never understood OC, as I think that too many sheeple would freak out when you encounter them. I patiently waited on CC, and feel much better with it. With OC, I do not like the fact that the weapon is in full view, and that it could be taken from behind, etc. I do not want anybody to know that I am carrying.

Jamie
    Plus, the bad guy will shoot you first. I'm surprised no one has brought that point up during these OC discussions.

Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links