Thinking of OC here in Virginia

This is a discussion on Thinking of OC here in Virginia within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To start, I do have a permit to carry. I am thinking of OCing my PT92 for the winter. I have never OC'd before. How ...

Thread: Thinking of OC here in Virginia

Thinking of OC here in Virginia

To start, I do have a permit to carry. I am thinking of OCing my PT92 for the winter. I have never OC'd before. How did you all "break your cherry" when you started to carry?

Thanks!
    Mike

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum, VinnyT!

Here in Colorado, just like Virginia, open carry is not generally prohibited outside the People's Republik of Denver. Before I started, I got a pocket audio recorder which I concealed on my first open carry trip---a lot of OCers regard this as an absolutely critical piece of equipment. (Here in CO, only 1 party need be aware of audio taping.)

Then for my first OC I went to a restaurant whose owner is known to be pro-OC and met a group of OC pals for a meal. Smooth as silk.

Thanks!

Even though OC is legal here, I have been told that many LEO's frown on it. Anyone in Va experience this?

Well I am not from VA but many new to OC go to Wal Mart. Other good places to test the waters would be a local gas station or such that knows you.

Good Luck!

VIP Member
    Here in SWVA it's not much of a problem.

NOVA, Tidewater, and Richmond area, can be a hassle. Do a search on Chet Szymecki and Dan Moore (or Danladi Moore).

You might want to check out:

http://www.courts.state.va.us/opinio...wp/1971061.pdf

Also, you might check out OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost! and/or Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL)

Be sure to look at:

http://www.oag.state.va.us/OPINIONS/...72-Barnett.pdf

http://www.vcdl.org/pdf/OP-05-078.pdf

http://www.vcdl.org/letters/VASP_OPEN.pdf

http://www.vcdl.org/letters/ABC_Letter.pdf
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyT View Post
    To start, I do have a permit to carry. I am thinking of OCing my PT92 for the winter. I have never OC'd before. How did you all "break your cherry" when you started to carry?

Thanks!
    Mike
    I live in Maryland but only a mile from the MD-VA border. Other than when I go to work in VA, where carry is prohibited, whenever I go to VA, I'm carrying. Mostly Alexandria, Arlington, and Fairfax areas. I OC and CC (I have a non resident CHP). Some stares occasionally, but mostly a big non issue. When I OC ,I think most folks think you are LE.

I wish MD would wake up, but the morons in Annapolis are told what to do by the 3 big counties in MD which are run by the uber libs. Too bad.

I try to spend whatever money and time I have in VA.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    No problems in SE VA (rural, suburban). On the plus side, if you do get grief from the LEOs, there is usually a paycheck at the end of the road!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

+1 DaveH...I've OC'd many times in NOVA..never had a problem.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Not sure what DaveH's experiences in the Richmond area have been, but I have lived here for 10+ years and have never had a word said to me when OC'ing. Easiest way to "break your cherry" is just strap it on and go for it. I personally got started with restaurants that serve alcohol. I didn't want to remove my gun and leave it in my car, so I started doing the VA tuck and carrying on, business as usual. Either no one noticed or didn't care, never had anyone say anything to me about it.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyT View Post

Thanks!
    Mike
    I took the shirt that was over my gun and tucked it in behind the gun and went about my normal business.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Not sure what DaveH's experiences in the Richmond area have been, but I have lived here for 10+ years and have never had a word said to me when OC'ing. Easiest way to "break your cherry" is just strap it on and go for it. I personally got started with restaurants that serve alcohol. I didn't want to remove my gun and leave it in my car, so I started doing the VA tuck and carrying on, business as usual. Either no one noticed or didn't care, never had anyone say anything to me about it.
    I got stopped on the sidewalk a couple of times in the city. The LEOs weren't too bad about it, either time. But then, I quoted GOODMAN v. COMMONWEALTH after asking if they had any "reasonable suspicion" for a Terry Stop.

Another time I had a restaurant w/ABC out in the 6000's area of West Broad call 911, the LEOs were fine. BTW -- the restaurant let me stay and finish the meal, once the LEOs said it was legal to OC there.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links