Finally happened, Bad OC encounter...with a twist

This is a discussion on Finally happened, Bad OC encounter...with a twist within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Monday on my way home from work I stopped at Costco and picked up some stuff. I had the back of the Cherokee loaded down ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally happened, Bad OC encounter...with a twist

Finally happened, Bad OC encounter...with a twist

Monday on my way home from work I stopped at Costco and picked up some stuff. I had the back of the Cherokee loaded down pretty well with milk, canned foods and other items so when I got home and pulled into the garage I left the garage door up and opened the Cherokee up and had the kids help me bring everything inside. I was handing them items and they were bringing the stuff into the house.

After we emptied the Jeep out, and I had closed the back and was locking it I heard a voice from out on the street say "Excuse me." I turned and saw a man at the base of my driveway looking up at me (our driveway sloped up to the garage a bit)

He asked me why I had a gun on (XD .40 in a Blackhawk serpa). And in response, I asked him who he was and why it mattered to him.

Now get this, he says he is new in the neighborhood, is a police officer and wants to know if I have a permit. I told him that I did have a permit and ask him if he is a Shelby County Sheriff's Deputy (since we live in the County) and this guys says no, he is a Memphis City officer!

At this point I got a little indignant. I was actually in my garage, on my property and this clown stops while walking by my house to harass me. So, I tell him that even if I didn't have a permit, I am on my property and don't need one to open or conceal carry on my property and since he is way, way outside his jurisdiction, maybe he shouldn't try to be the neighborhood cop and just be a neighbor.

At this point I get a bit of attitude from a guy standing in my driveway, harassing me about something he obviously does not like (I can tell this guy is not in favor of us private peons carrying) and so I tell him to tell his story walking and to get the hell off my property.

He did but I expect to get some dirty looks when I ride my bike around the neighborhood now. And I will be sending them right back at him.

So my first bad OC experience is with an off duty, Memphis PD officer who lives out here in the sticks with us and who wanted to give e me a hard time about OC'ing on my own property. What an idiot.

And yes, I am trying to get his name so I can complain to his commander.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Hold the line.

Now that I'm back in West Tennessee, we need to meet up some time.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Not having been there I can't second guess you but it would seem you might have cut him some slack and with a small amount of courtesy perhaps even made an ally of him. He was obviously out of line but winning that battle might not profit you much.

wow...what a jerk.

sometimes i just wanna...........!!!!!!!!!!.........grrrrr
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

You've got some stones. Power trip from the un-neighborly neighbor. It's always best to make allies but perhaps there was no winning in that situation.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

I'm torn Mike. While I agree a neighborhood ally is always great, I really don't like being told I can't do something (you can tell my time in the Army went well ).

I guess its one of those "you just had to be there" moments. after work, from the store unloading all the grub and then some stranger new to the area questioning your exercising of a God given and Constitutionally backed right.

The more I type the more I am getting annoyed for ya.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Not having been there I can't second guess you but it would seem you might have cut him some slack and with a small amount of courtesy perhaps even made an ally of him. He was obviously out of line but winning that battle might not profit you much.

I agree he was way out of line,. But I agree with this post,. I think I would have asked to see his badge (only right if off duty) and showed him my permit to make him happy,. If he doesn't like people carrying, then it wouldn't have done any good, but ya never know,.. Making enemies out of neighbors has never done me any good at all,... In fact just the opposite for sure..

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    TN Mike,
    I'm usually the first to step up and say cooperation is the best route. But I am with you 100%. You are on your own property, minding your own business, and somebody claiming to be an off-duty officer from another jurisdiction starts hassling you? Not cool...not cool at all. I can't help but wonder if he is a rookie. Rookies tend to sniff around for trouble. Unfortunately, they often find it. I would have done exactly what you did. Told him to enjoy his walk and to get back to it. If he wants to find some illegal guns, his time would be better spent back in the town where he works. Let him start shaking down a few of the gangbangers running around south Memphis...he will find more guns than he knows what to do with.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Crazy! Well hopefully he'll come around. Good luck either way.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

I would have done 2 things as soon as he said he was a cop.

Ask to see his badge

Ask if he has a warrant.

No badge: go away

No warrant: Get the hell off my land.

Find out his name and report his over-reaching self to his commanding officer. "Supercop" we don't need anywhere.

VIP Member
    As much as I'm a staunch believer in cc, I'm completely with you on this one, TN Mike.

This guy was wrong on so many levels, it's just ridiculous. However, even though my first reaction would be to follow up with his supervisor as a concerned citizen, you also have to weigh the consequences of further harassment from this bozo. Perhaps the smart thing to do is shrug it off and hope it was a one-time event. You can always pursue it later, if you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Monday on my way home from work I stopped at Costco and picked up some stuff. I had the back of the Cherokee loaded down pretty well with milk, canned foods and other items so when I got home and pulled into the garage I left the garage door up and opened the Cherokee up and had the kids help me bring everything inside. I was handing them items and they were bringing the stuff into the house.

After we emptied the Jeep out, and I had closed the back and was locking it I heard a voice from out on the street say "Excuse me." I turned and saw a man at the base of my driveway looking up at me (our driveway sloped up to the garage a bit)

He asked me why I had a gun on (XD .40 in a Blackhawk serpa). And in response, I asked him who he was and why it mattered to him.

Now get this, he says he is new in the neighborhood, is a police officer and wants to know if I have a permit. I told him that I did have a permit and ask him if he is a Shelby County Sheriff's Deputy (since we live in the County) and this guys says no, he is a Memphis City officer!

At this point I got a little indignant. I was actually in my garage, on my property and this clown stops while walking by my house to harass me. So, I tell him that even if I didn't have a permit, I am on my property and don't need one to open or conceal carry on my property and since he is way, way outside his jurisdiction, maybe he shouldn't try to be the neighborhood cop and just be a neighbor.

At this point I get a bit of attitude from a guy standing in my driveway, harassing me about something he obviously does not like (I can tell this guy is not in favor of us private peons carrying) and so I tell him to tell his story walking and to get the hell off my property.

He did but I expect to get some dirty looks when I ride my bike around the neighborhood now. And I will be sending them right back at him.

So my first bad OC experience is with an off duty, Memphis PD officer who lives out here in the sticks with us and who wanted to give e me a hard time about OC'ing on my own property. What an idiot.

And yes, I am trying to get his name so I can complain to his commander.
    WOW

Well some people really have the nerve to stick there noses where they don't belong.

Maybe you should have called 911 if he was on your property. HAHA

So my first bad OC experience is with an off duty, Memphis PD officer who lives out here in the sticks with us and who wanted to give e me a hard time about OC'ing on my own property.
    Isn't it a wonder that he's living all the way out in Arlington? Not really. And he's got the gall to question you about the wisdom, sanity or right you have to carry firearms ... on your own property, no less? WTH went wrong with his training, or has he simply been blind all these years in the Memphis PD? He needs only open his town's newspaper for a week, to be horrified by how much crime passes for "normal" on any day of the week, in Memphis. Or, does he think you aren't aware of it, that you're going to leave the safety and security of your family to whim, chance and a PD that believes like he does??

It would be interesting to hear his commanding officer's viewpoint on why you're getting the sticky end of his attitude.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

JD
    Administrator
    So what happens to the next OC'er in Memphis that this guy runs into? Or the one his buddies run into after hearing about that guy open carrying with an attitude?

What happened to this guy whose posts I love reading?

I do care how they (the sheeple) feel to an extent. I carry openly but I do it in the utmost responsible and safe manner. I use a level II security holster. I dress in a presentable manner and I am polite, even if someone were to have an adverse reaction to my openly carried firearm. I think of myself as an Ambassador of Open Carry to the uninformed. I have had interactions with people (mostly from a state other than Tennessee) who come from an anti mind set and have left after speaking to me with at least a different opinion of people who carry. It's because I didn't rant about my right to carry and how I didn't care if they liked it or not, even if that is exactly how I feel.

Bark'n is right, we may not agree with the sheeple, but they vote and are citizens of the USA as much as we are. To just treat them as scum just because they don't carry or don't support our right to do so isn't exactly civil or in our best interest.
    Sorry Mike, I respect you a lot, but you let me down on this one.

Now get this, he says he is new in the neighborhood, is a police officer and wants to know if I have a permit.

This is where I ask to see a badge.
    then state "I am on my property and don't need one to open or conceal carry on my property."
    have a nice day and good by.

I say good job mike!!
    He SHOULD know the laws he swore to uphold.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links