Open Carry Hassles...

This is a discussion on Open Carry Hassles... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As a person who Open Carries on a regular basis which of the options applies to you? Mel...

View Poll Results: What has been your Open Carry experience?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have never been questioned by LE or hassled by a civilian.

42 60.00%
  • I have been questioned by an LEO more often than I have been hassled by a civilian.

6 8.57%
  • I have been hassled by a civilian more often than I have been questioned by an LEO.

22 31.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry Hassles...

Open Carry Hassles...

As a person who Open Carries on a regular basis which of the options applies to you?

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

2. Remove Ads

Well, I voted that I had been hassled by a LEO more often that civilian but that wasn't true before Monday.

In fact I'm not sure that really applied since the pin head cop who questioned me was doing so while off duty, out of his jurisdiction and in my driveway!

But still....
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I don't open carry regularly but the couple negative responses I did receive were from an auto repair shop office worker and the Sporting Goods Manager at Wal-Mart.

The auto repair shop person had the nerve to call my house and talk to my Mother about me carrying a gun instead of talk to me directly. He didn't appreciate me bringing a gun into his shop, and threatened to call the cops next time I go in there carrying a gun. I no longer take my car there to be fixed! I wrote them a nice letter explaining I will no longer do business with them and gave them a copy of Alaska's gun laws.

The 2nd time I went to Wal-Mart to look for a new EDC knife because I thought I lost my old one. I was OCing my Glock 17 in a Serpa holster and while I was standing there looking at a Gerber knife, the department manager told me my gun had to be concealed inside the store. I told them open carry was legal in Alaska and they told me regardless I still had to conceal it. I was dumb enough to purchase the knife rather than walk out, and I was actually followed out of the store. I felt like I was being treated like a criminal. Anyway I found their corporate website and told them about what happened. I guess they forwarded the email to manager of the Wal-Mart store I was at because he called me the next day. He apologized for the way I was treated and told me I could continue to shop at his store. He also said Wal-Mart associates are not to say anything unless there is a complaint. I open carried there a few more times after that and haven't been confronted yet.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I haven't been OC'ing for that long (or that regularly...), but I haven't yet had any issues.

Only the future will tell.

That and sheep.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Nothing I would consider hassled yet. One trooper at an accident, 2 local LEO's in the pawn shop, one LEO evil eye drive by at same pawn shop. Security guard at walmart was cool. Closest thing was a smart comment by the clerk at autozone. Told me OC was "kinda" legal, I told him that was like being kinda pregnant. Either it is or it isn't. Lots of good conversations in stores and restaurants.

I have been hassled a few times by civilians. One of them was actually applying for a job at my business (which is very pro-gun). I didn't actually bring it up at all, but he felt it necessary to inform me he wouldn't abide by any of the pro-gun policies. I told him he was not expected to start carrying a gun himself by any means, but that he should understand his future co-workers and various bosses could be armed (and moreso that some of them carry concealed so he shouldn't be surprised to discover somebody was carrying even if it looked like they weren't).
    It went... poorly... he had to tell me all about how any area he'd work in would be a gun-free zone. (For both employees and customers!)

Still not sure why he applied in the first place o_O He brought the firearms up, so he obviously knew about the general attitude of them at this business.

VIP Member
    I voted I've never been hastled. I oc When I go out of town. Had some looks, but not a word said.
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlis View Post
    It went... poorly... he had to tell me all about how any area he'd work in would be a gun-free zone. (For both employees and customers!)
    Can I presume the fellow in question didn't get hired?

I've interviewed a couple of folks who, during the interview, informed me of the conditions under which they would only work. Didn't hire any of them.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I've been hassled once by LEO in response to a MWAG call. That incident, however, turned out to be a learning experience for the police department and established a good relationship with the restaurant it happened at.

Ooops, I forgot about a slight hassle from Seattle PD in a Seattle city park, we know who caused that and he is on his way out of office!

So, I guess it's really been about 50/50 cops and civilians.

The biggest hassle I've gotten from a civilian was a concealed carrier who wanted to let me know how much better he was than me because I didn't hide my gun.

I've had one other, somewhat hassle, by a civilian who approached me and obviously had a negative attitude, but I think I answered his questions intelligently and maybe he went away feeling better.

And a "loss prevention" guy in Walmart, he was just an idiot.

I've had at least 3 times as many positive experiences due to my open carry, though.

I have limited OC experience in as much as I prefer CC, but to the extent I have OC'd here in Colorado, I have garnered no more than civilian looks. NO hassles yet.

Denver ain't on my itinerary to OC.

I've never been "hassled" per se, but civilians have noticed and asked questions (sometimes with a shaky voice and huge eyes, though). Never encountered LEO yet.

Administrator
    You need to remember that in some areas it is mandatory for Police AKA it is required by local (county, city, borough) laws for Police to investigate all "Man With A Gun" calls even though the State may allow/permit Open Carry.

So if a nincompoop Sheeple citizen calls 911 and reports a "Man With A Gun" - Law Enforcement responds and investigates as they are required to do by law.

So in reality they are not "hassling" the person that is carrying "Open" - they are doing their job as law enforcement.

It IS a senseless Catch 22 "screw up" in the laws as they are on the books.

So...(in many instances) the Police are not "hassling" the individual that is open carrying, they are following the letter of the law...until such time as the "law-makers" AKA our "brilliant" elected officials change the law to reflect and not conflict with State law.

Just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    You need to remember that in some areas it is mandatory for Police AKA it is required by local (county, city, borough) laws for Police to investigate all "Man With A Gun" calls even though the State may allow/permit Open Carry.

So if a nincompoop Sheeple citizen calls 911 and reports a "Man With A Gun" - Law Enforcement responds and investigates as they are required to do by law.

So in reality they are not "hassling" the person that is carrying "Open" - they are doing their job as law enforcement.

It IS a senseless Catch 22 "screw up" in the laws as they are on the books.

So...(in many instances) the Police are not "hassling" the individual that is open carrying, they are following the letter of the law...until such time as the "law-makers" AKA our "brilliant" elected officials change the law to reflect and not conflict with State law.

Just FYI.
    True. But just asking a simple question or two isn't hassling. It's when they give you a hard time about it that it should be considered hassling. LEOs can do their jobs without being dorks about it.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlis View Post
    I have been hassled a few times by civilians. One of them was actually applying for a job at my business (which is very pro-gun). I didn't actually bring it up at all, but he felt it necessary to inform me he wouldn't abide by any of the pro-gun policies. I told him he was not expected to start carrying a gun himself by any means, but that he should understand his future co-workers and various bosses could be armed (and moreso that some of them carry concealed so he shouldn't be surprised to discover somebody was carrying even if it looked like they weren't).

Still not sure why he applied in the first place o_O He brought the firearms up, so he obviously knew about the general attitude of them at this business.
    Geez, where in Michigan do I have to go to apply for a job where most if not all the people who work there, pack?

Oh, and have never been hassled by police or civilians for OCing. Have gotten some questions like, "What model is that?" or "Nice piece." and other things along those lines.

got hassled once in Colorado - (was out there interning with a District Court Judge) and spending time with my parents and one of the locals asked me why I was acting all cowboy walking around wearing a gun?

I explained that since I was from Ohio, and CO and OH did not reciprocate on CHLs that I had no other choice but to OC.

He then proceeded to expose his concealed firearm, and said he did not have a license and that he still hid his... I distinctly remember the sound coming from Dad, and the surprised look on this guys face as Dad offered him a ride to his office... so that the Sheriff could sort it out... (Dad had just semi-retired and was currently assigned to court security).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links