Need help on NM. Taking a trip, CHL is good except in New Mexico.

This is a discussion on Need help on NM. Taking a trip, CHL is good except in New Mexico. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I'm going to be taking a trip from Arkansas, through Oklahoma, Texas, and New Mexico. Doing a little research, thanks to Handgunlaw.us , I ...

Thread: Need help on NM. Taking a trip, CHL is good except in New Mexico.

Need help on NM. Taking a trip, CHL is good except in New Mexico.

So, I'm going to be taking a trip from Arkansas, through Oklahoma, Texas, and New Mexico. Doing a little research, thanks to Handgunlaw.us, I find that my CHL from Arkansas is good in OK and TX, but not NM. A little more research, thanks to OpenCarry.org, tells me that I can still have my handgun concealed in the car in New Mexico because my car would be treated like my home.

Combine this with a little more research as to what places are off-limits in TX and OK for CC and I felt like I would be ready for the trip (CC wise). Then I come across the story from Alamogordo and realize that NM is an Open Carry state. (Why didn't I think of that before?).

So, now I'm doing the research on what places are off-limits for CC in Texas and Oklahoma and OC in New Mexico. Handgunlaw.us has good information about CC in TX and OK, but OpenCarry.org does not have any information about where is off-limits to OC in New Mexico.

I was not to worried about it until I read a posting by one guy talking about OC in Wal-Mart being illegal. Come on! Posts about Wal-Mart get my attention, maybe because I'm from Arkansas, so I read on. How can OC be illegal in a Wal-Mart? The guy claims that since Wal-Mart sells alcohol for people to take home, you can't carry there. This sounds ridiculous and I figure he's just misreading the law..... Then another guy chimes in, and another, and another. Then I see a posting about how the out-of-staters (me?) keep trying to tell the in-staters what the law is in their own state without reading it. Ouch, good thing I didn't do that. I read the law, and you know what? I think the in-staters might know what they are talking about! Now I'm nervous because I kinda glossed over the alcohol part. When I read through the alcohol part of the law, I had always been looking for "Can I carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol with your meal?". Never even thought about "Can I carry at a gas station that sells beer by the case?"

So, after that long story/explanation, here is my question. Are there any other gotchas in NM pertaining to OC that I may have missed? Any areas that would not be completely obvious to an out of state traveler? And, how do you know where you can or can't OC? For example, I pull up to a grocery store, how do I know I can OC in there without first going in to find out if they sell alcohol?

Thanks for the help (ahead of time).

2. Remove Ads

How soon is your trip? Utah non-resident permit gives you NM.

See (B) My understanding is you can not carry if they sell alcohol for comsumption in the bulding. You can not drink in Wal Mart so you should be OK. Also be careful with the Tribal Land issue, I still haven't got that one all figured out. Best of Luck Bryan.

Places Off-Limits Even With A Permit/License
    In New Mexico, licensees can only carry one concealed handgun at any time. It is legal to carry more than
    one firearm. However, only one firearm may be concealed on your person at a time. This restriction does not
    apply to firearms carried in your vehicles, on or off your person.
    You may NOT carry a handgun, openly or concealed, in:
    · Liquor establishments that sell alcohol for consumption on the premises. Parking lots are OK. (30-7-3NMSA 1978, fourth degree felony)
    · Schools…except in vehicle if older than 19 (30-7-2.1 NMSA 1978, fourth degree felony)
    · University Premises…except in vehicle if older than 19 (30-7-2.4 NMSA 1978 petty misdemeanor)
    · Preschools (29-19-8 NMSA 1978)
    · Courts (29-19-11 NMSA 1978, without the consent of the presiding judge) Court means: any Federal,
    State, County, Municipal, or Tribal Court;
    · Tribal Land (29-19-10, NMSA, unless authorized by the governing body of the tribe or pueblo)
    · Public buses (30-7-13 NMSA 1978, misdemeanor)
    · Airport security zones
    · State parks
    · Federal Properties…Military Bases, Courthouse, etc. National Parks and National Wildlife Management
    Areas are OK if you have a NM Permit/License to Carry or a Permit/License valid in New Mexico.
    · On private property where the owner has posted signs indicating that you may not carry or if the owner
    tells you that you cannot

You can't OC in anyplace that sells alcohol!
    Do not OC on the rez, you can carry in your car, but stay on the highway. Do not , for example, OC while filling up with gas at a rez gas station, because you are no longer on the US highway.

You are not required to tell a cop who pulls you over you are carrying, unless directly asked. So don't bring it up.

Stores, or restaurants that sell alcohol do not warn you with a sign at the entrance, like in Texas.

Carrying concealed without a valid license is not just a misdemenor, it is a PETTY misdemenor. If you are compulsively law abiding, you can conceal your firearm legally if it is unloaded.
    But it is still a felony to carry into ANY place which sells alcohol.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    While it does not make sense one CAN carry CC into a place that sells alcohol NOT for consumption on the premises, but not OC. Without a CHL you CANNOT carry into such places.

So since you do not have a CHL that NM honors you cannot carry concealed, and cannot OC IN the quick stop gas stations that sell beer or other alcohol or places like WalMart.

Otherwise as you stated your car is considered an extension of your home and you can have it hidden or exposed and loaded.

I do not think of any glitches. Just watch the postings.

When my wife and I did some RVing I got several NR permits just so that I was not so limited around the country. Utah is an excellent one.

Regards,
    Jerry

Links