LEO/Texaco Cashier in N. KY

This is a discussion on LEO/Texaco Cashier in N. KY within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So there I was... I was headed over to my friend's place for some quality time of political debate (he's a liberal) and other shenanigans, ...

Thread: LEO/Texaco Cashier in N. KY

Smile LEO/Texaco Cashier in N. KY

So there I was...

I was headed over to my friend's place for some quality time of political debate (he's a liberal) and other shenanigans, when I decided to stop at the Texaco by his complex to pick up a soda.

I had my 1911A-1 in cross-draw and was wearing an unbuttoned "Dickies" shirt over it. In other words, I was pretty much OC (or what I refer to as Level 1 CC).

Anyhoo, I pull up to the well-lit storefront, and who pulls up two spots over with a real clear view of my door?

Fort Mitchell's Finest.

This marks the first time that I've ever OCed and encountered an LEO so I admit, the old college reflex/knee-jerk reaction kicked in and there went an adrenaline dump (I wasn't always so law-abiding...).

However, without missing a beat, I opened my door, calmly got out (gun is obvious at this point), and watched the LEO's eyes widen ever so slightly during his obligatory Down/Up Check. When he looks back up, I just smile, nod, and continue into the store.

At this point, I'm using reflective surfaces to assess the LEO's reaction, but can see no discernible movement. The Clerk has seen the gun too, but she simply smiles and welcomes me in. I go grab my noxious brew of caffeine and sugar, a beef jerky stick, and some of that ridiculously named "Spit-less Tobacco" that comes in a tin (I am trying to quit smoking).

I approach the counter, and I still get no reaction to the gun from the Cashier, just polite and pleasant conversation about the rising cost of Habitually Enabled Long-Term Suicide Products.

After concluding my business, I exit the store and nonchalantly (as much as possible, I tend to shake in the best of circumstances) go back to my truck. I turn to sit down, and see that the LEO isn't even looking at me. He just walks into the store, says something that makes the Cashier laugh (probably about "Cowboys" or some such...), and takes up the usual position in front of the Slurpee machine (no, really, that's where they congregate on a slow night).

I noticed that he didn't get out of his cruiser until I had exited the store. I suppose that this was prudence on his part.

All in all, I'd say that it was a good experience. I was surprised that I didn't get asked any questions, though. I guess he just figured that if I was going to just walk around with it at my 1030 like that, I must have a license, since some of it WAS concealed and could have been considered a violation otherwise...

That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

2. Remove Ads

I've heard that some of the larger cities in KY can be unfriendly to OC.

some of that ridiculously named "Spit-less Tobacco" that comes in a tin (I am trying to quit smoking).
    Try to find some non tobacco dip, the real thing can be as addictive as smoking.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Sounds like a good experience.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonk View Post
    I had my 1911A-1 in cross-draw and was wearing an unbuttoned "Dickies" shirt over it. In other words, I was pretty much OC (or what I refer to as Level 1 CC).
    That's like looking in the mirror!
    Maybe the cop liked your gun?
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

You probably wouldn't have received such a calm response in Louisville.

Down here in Bowling Green, I have definitely noticed an increased prescence of open carry individuals as I am out & about in town. As long as you stay out of Loserville, you probably won't be hassled about your method of weapon carry!
    Current handguns: Glock models 19, 22C, 23, 27, 29, & 36; Kimber Pro CDP and Polymer Custom; Kahr PM9 & CW9; S&W models 6906, 386PD, 66; Taurus 85 Ultralite Ti; Browning Buckmark;

Former handguns: S&W 4"686, 4" 620 & Sigma .380, Taurus 617 Ti, Kimber Pro Eclipse, Walther P22, Glock 30 & 33.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy W. View Post
    I've heard that some of the larger cities in KY can be unfriendly to OC.

Try to find some non tobacco dip, the real thing can be as addictive as smoking.
    I've tried it, and umm...

I've been a pack a day for 16 years. I gotta go slow. My lungs are liking the break though!

Thanks for the H/U about Louisville everyone!
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

I open carried a few times in the nothern Kentucky area, never had a problem.
    Sig P250 9mm
    Ed Brown 1911 Kobra 45ACP
    Ruger Mark III 22
    Browning Silver 12ga
    Browning BAR 30-06

Someday I hope to move to America.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
    Someday I hope to move to America.
    You'll be welcomed with open arms!

"Y'ain't from round here, are ya boy..."

Doesn't sound like a bad OC experience at all. No bad interaction with the LEO. Clerk didn't freak out, sounds pretty good.

Well done.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonk View Post
    I've tried it, and umm...

I've been a pack a day for 16 years. I gotta go slow. My lungs are liking the break though!

Thanks for the H/U about Louisville everyone!
    When you are ready to quit google" The Mad Russian in Boston, MA

Great first encounter

Good stuff.

The first time I ran into LEO, which went smooth btw, it created an overarching degree of inspiration and courage from how well it went, and all it was were a few cop looking my way with a casual eye turn.

In my neck of the woods, cops tend to like OC'ers, whereas most other people are uninformed/misinformed.

Anyway, great stuff, and remain safe!

Links