Should I Open Carry?

This is a discussion on Should I Open Carry? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was thinking of open carring but my dad says not to because you become a target. I just feel that the BG will steer ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should I Open Carry?

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar

Should I Open Carry?

I was thinking of open carring but my dad says not to because you become a target. I just feel that the BG will steer clean of you altogether. How do you feel?

Thoughts... Comments... Situations... Please
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Thin Ice Thread.
    Expect post deletes if your thread turns into an "open carry VS concealed carry" thread.

Rule #9 (forum rules page): We have learned from bitter experience that discussions of certain subjects (politics, religion, abortion, sexual orientation, etc) often degenerate quickly. For this reason, we prohibit these subjects in our discussions.
    We also discourage "caliber wars" and the virtues of "open carry" topic; strongly encouraging you to take these discussions to other forums where these topics are the focus.

In "Day Twa"? Only you can decide...depends upon the situation. You are responsible for you own safety. What do you feel comfortable with? I say, "Go for it!"
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Open Carry a few times and youll be hooked
    so much more comfy.... with that said only OC if your comfterable with talking to people
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    If your state allows open carry, weigh the risks and benefits of doing so and make your final decision based on them, and how comfortable you are with talking to people about it. The pros and cons have been discussed time and time again on this forum and other gun forums that I frequent.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Should I Open Carry?
    Depends on your reason for carry. If protection for yourself and your family is all that's on your agenda I'd say no.

Depends on your reason for carry. If protection for yourself and your family is all that's on your agenda I'd say no.

Here, go read this: The Open Carry Argument

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    As an avid OCer, I have to agree with this statement.

Protection for myself and family is only one reason I open carry. If it were the only reasons, I'd probably conceal.

If you are not prepared to be an active (potentially) advocate for the RTBA;

If you are not (potentially) prepared to be detained by police (the ones with no clue);

If you are not comfortable talking with curious people or abusive antis;

Don't open carry.

With that said, I have never had a "bad" experience. The worst thing to happen to me was the BBW stocking the cooler in a Walmart Neighborhood who nearly screamed in panic when she saw my firearm on my hip. I just smiled at her and greeted her politely and kept my weak side arm around my girlfriend's waist.

If you do decide to OC, make sure you know your state's laws. This will help you IF you run into the clueless cop (or the anti cop). Not knowing the laws could cause you to commit a crime inadvertantly.

In the beginning, OC only where you feel comfortable, conceal wher you don't. Get used to OCing. It can take some time before the feeling of everyone watching you goes away.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by larefugee View Post
    Here, go read this: The Open Carry Argument
    Very, VERY well written.

Spec, I have a couple of suggestions.

#1 Look for evidence supporting your dad's claim.
    Research news articles where a victim was targeted because he openly carried. Actually, I can save you the trouble: there aren't any, except for ONE very sketchy story about a guy in Virginia. With dozens of states protecting open carry over several decades, this is a shockingly LOW occurance of open carriers being targeted. Especially considering that the media would pounce on any story that could even be spun that way.

#2 What does your own appearance say about you?
    A 21-year-old who walks, talks, and dresses like a street "gangsta" is going to be a trouble-magnet if he straps on a visible weapon, legal or otherwise. Philosophically we all agree that people should be judged on their own merits, not their appearance. But realistically we also agree that this will never happen. You can count on being judged by your appearance and receiving attention from others accordingly.

#3 Attitudinal self-evaluation.
    If you choose to open carry, how prepared are you for snotty comments, snide remarks, and verbal hostility from those who don't share your enthusiasm for firearms? This sort of thing doesn't happen often to an individual who open carries, but it DOES happen and it only takes ONE bad reaction from you to create a serious problem. When it's over, no one will care that you had a bad day, or that you were simply caught off guard. If you don't have the ability to remain civil and calm during an unpleasant discussion then you're better off concealing. You will be a walking example of the firearms community whether you want that responsibility or not.

#4 Know your law, know your stats.
    Your foray into exercising your human right will inspire questions from others. Are you prepared to answer them? Are you prepared to be delayed when going about your business because a cop had to respond to a "man with a gun" call about you? Again, it doesn't happen often, but it DOES happen. If you're not prepared to be unexpectedly inconvenienced then I would recommend against OC.

I OC when I can, but more often I CC because my personal circumstances make this the right choice for me during those times. I think both methods are acceptable for anyone who carries responsibly.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    If you choose to open carry, how prepared are you for snotty comments, snide remarks, and verbal hostility from those who don't share your enthusiasm for firearms?
    Like this, for example:

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    I was thinking of open carrying but my dad says not to because you become a target. I just feel that the BG will steer clean of you altogether. How do you feel?

Thoughts... Comments... Situations... Please
    Personally, I think if you can open carry legally wherever you are, you ought to at least try it and see how it's going to work for you. Making you a target? Criminals look for easier prey IMO. At the bank.....use the drive thru instead of going inside. Just my advice.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I OC/CC often, depends on my mood and who I am with. I have no problem going to my local Stop N' Rob OC'ing, or even my local Chase bank branch. I do my best to keep it concealed when I go to my fathers, he is not against guns, just against me having them because I have kids and I do not have alot of extra income. He knows I have one, and like i told him, he never knows when it is on me, no biggie.

I do not feel like a target because I am armed. I have OC'ed for a bit, I dont even think anyone notices too much. I live in a state where OC is not common, I have never seen anyone other then LEO's doing it.

I find I am more aware of things when I OC, no sure why. Either way, carry the way your comfortable and what is legal in your state.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

I just feel that if you are open carrying in public places you probably have something on your mind other than just self protection. As another poster stated, this is a "thin ice" topic and out of respect for forum rules I won't elaborate further.

VIP Member
    In states where it is legal OC is a personal decision you have to make. Since your profile says your located in Metro Detroit I think you'll need to be prepared for quite a bit of scrutiny from not only the people on the street, but LEO as well. I doubt that by wearing a gun openly it will cause you to become a target for criminal. Good luck on your decision.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links