Defensive Carry banner

What is your most asked question while open carrying?

• Are you a police officer?

Votes: 58 46.0%
  • Is that a real gun?

Votes: 19 15.1%
  • *Awkward silence*

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Other, please specify

Votes: 28 22.2%

What is your most asked question?

12K views 81 replies 70 participants last post by  patkelly4370 
#1 ·
Today, I went to a laundrymat/gas station to do some laundry. I was carrying at the time and got some looks. I had to go into the gas station to get some change and a little kid and his mother saw me walk in. After a minute or two, she came and said her son was wondering if I was a cop. I said I wasn't and she wondered why I was able to carry a pistol on me. I informed her that, in this state, a civilian can legally open carry a pistol on them with out a permit. Her kid (who I really liked btw) told me that my gun looked cool. I smiled and thanked him. He seems like the kind of kid that will grow up to become a proud, gun carrying American. Hopefully his parents will teach him proper usage of guns and not just tell them that all guns are bad except ones used by police. Basically, I made this post to see what the most asked question that is asked to open carriers.

#40 ·
I have my CCP for ID but it is not required to open carry so I hide it. I do not want to get stopped by LEOs asking why I carry cuz some sheeple called 911.

#41 ·
I've only opened carried once, and that was at my parents house the other day. I recently got a new 1911 and I haven't decided what holster to get yet, so all I have is a cheapy to get me by at the range until I figure it out. My mom asked me if I was breaking the law carrying that "huge thing" around.

#43 ·
I mostly CC, but I OC sometimes, just because. Very few people have ever said anything. A few have glanced at my hip and gotten out of the way. A few times I've been asked if I'm a cop. Each time blurted out as I pass, without introduction or anything. So I've just looked down at them as I pass by (being 6'6", I generally have to look down) and politely say "No." I don't volunteer anything and keep walking.

When I have been asked why I carry, I don't answer if it is a hostile question, but I try to use the opportunity to educate if the question seems sincere.

Mostly, though, people don't notice or care. The times I've received questions have been very few.

#44 ·
Ive recently been open carrying more lately. Ive gotten the usual are you a cop or something comment, but today at a pizza joint I got, now get this.
"Are you FBI?"

Only reason was because I was wearing my shoulder rig and a suit less the jacket (White shirt, Black Tie, Black Shoes, Black Pants).... Ive gotten a lot of comments,never that one before.....

#45 ·
Like everyone else here, I make every attempt to keep "concealed carry" just that. Whether or not anyone has viewed my pistol(s) during the course of my everyday business, no one so far has questioned me on it, for which I'm grateful. However I have a shiny gold badge identification with the words "Private Investigator" stamped all over it and business cards to hand out (might create more business) - that should take care of any questions.

#55 ·
Like everyone else here, I make every attempt to keep "concealed carry" just that.
Not just like everyone else here. This is a forum discussing open carry. Not concealed carry. The poll is asking those of us who don't make every attempt to conceal, what we are asked when we are OPEN CARRYING.

#46 ·
T carry a 1911 type pistol and the most often question is "is that a 9mm".
I just say "no it's a 45".

The only time I have been asked if I was a cop, was when I was doing street Photography on assignment in Seattle during early morning and late evenings.
My assignment was an article on Street homeless children and child prostitution.

#50 ·
I have been CC'ing since June and have been OC'ing for about a month now.
The other day I went into a local radio shack looking for an external mic to go with my voice recorder. I don't think the man that was helping me noticed my XDm40. But the woman behind the counter did. 'Cause when I turned around she was trying to get a couple of the other associates attention by doing the "Psst, hey" while nudging one of them and trying not to get my attention.

And on X-mas day(wearing the shirt below) I had to go to the store to get some last minute stuff. As I was walking in the door an older man was walking out. After reading my shirt and seeing my sidearm he says as we pass "I carry a gun too." Which kinda took me by surprise. Then after taking a few more steps in the opposite directions he turns and ask what kind was it. Then says he has a Glock.:hand10:

#52 ·
I don't open carry, because I can't in my state (florida) I envy those who can open carry as concealing is hard to do most of the time in florida because of the lack of clothes (most people wear shirt and shorts and sometimes pants). I do have an open carry leather galco for my sig p229 that I could use if I had a few layers of clothes on me or to wear around the house when I'm just lounging around. Consider yourself lucky

#53 ·
It gets pretty hot here also.(Vegas) With the right holster you can CC in shorts and a t-shirt. Try a crossbreed or what I have, a khoslter.(pictured with my smaller PT-140 pro) From what I can tell, very similar but will save a little $. I haven't CC'ed my XDm40 yet but once I get my new updated ccw with my XDm40 added, should be in the mail soon, I can't see the Taurus making it out of the safe much.

XDm40>PT-140 pro
3 full mags each
49>31
And shooting wise, a much better gun.

#56 ·
"Is that a Gun?"

Hmmm, well any of those questions I'd be sorely tempted to get them to specifically point out the gun on my hip, then react like it was a large spider or other some such creature and start screaming..."AAAAHHHH Get it off, get it off, AAAAHHHH!" then run off like a little girl being chased by a mouse.

Seriously, I've been noticed, but nothing said.

#58 ·
I marked the option 'Other, please specify' on the poll because I usually get a combination of a couple questions.
First I get asked: "Are you a cop?" to which I reply in the negative. After that, they ask: "Then why are you carrying a gun? That's not legal, is it?"
In Montana there are very few restrictions on where you cannot carry a firearm openly! Concealed is allowed in City Limits with a permit and is allowed outside city/town limits without one.

#60 ·
Liked the movie, then again I like anything he plays in, but loved the book.n:wave:

#59 ·
Other. Nobody ever asks me about the gun. I get the occasional stares, a bug eye or two but generally nothing at all. Most asked question would be "Excuse me but you tell me how to get to...?"

#61 ·
I don't like to OC, even though NM allows it. The few times that I have OC'd, gave me a lot of unwanted attention. I felt like a fish in a fish bowl. I prefer to blend in and not attract any attention.

#64 ·
Sometimes the ladies eye me up and down...........then they say they like a man that uses protection! :king:

#65 ·
I get asked "are you a cop" NO MATTER WHAT I AM DOING OR WEARING.

I get that all the time. Even naked, in the gym locker room, I get "you're a cop aren't you? I can tell."

911 operators have asked me "what department are you with?"

Even police officers in uniform have asked me that.

Once a little girl on a bike asked me "are you the sheriff?"

But yes, open carry, combined with how I look and dress seem to say "off duty."

#68 ·
I get asked "are you a cop" NO MATTER WHAT I AM DOING OR WEARING.

I get that all the time. Even naked, in the gym locker room, I get "you're a cop aren't you? I can tell."

911 operators have asked me "what department are you with?"

Even police officers in uniform have asked me that.

Once a little girl on a bike asked me "are you the sheriff?"

But yes, open carry, combined with how I look and dress seem to say "off duty."
So, are you a cop?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.