What is your most asked question?

This is a discussion on What is your most asked question? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I was in WA open carrying, nobody said anything. My dad asked me 3 days into my visit if I had been carrying the ...

View Poll Results: What is your most asked question while open carrying?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Are you a police officer?

55 46.61%
  • Is that a real gun?

19 16.10%
  • *Awkward silence*

17 14.41%
  • Other, please specify

27 22.88%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is your most asked question?

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    When I was in WA open carrying, nobody said anything. My dad asked me 3 days into my visit if I had been carrying the whole time...Yep! And when I drew down on one of the guys robbing my sister's place, told him I had a gun pointed at him (night time), he asked "you actually have a gun?".
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Mine is usually a variation on "Are you a police officer?"

It's usually more along the lines of "Are you Security?" as I am 6'4" and about 300#, so my build isn't that of most LEOs around here (except several Sherriff's Deputies).

Although once or twice, it has been other things; usually when I'm in office semi-casual - slacks, shirt and tie - along with an OC'd 1911 and double mag carrier.

Q: Why are you carrying that gun?
    A: Because it would look awful silly carrying me around.

"Other". I've OC'd only a bit after getting my HCP this year. "Other" = no questions or looks. Nobody died either.

I have been asked all of the questions and have had this discussion on other boards.

I always try to be polite in my answers.

When I was younger I always used rule #23 and meant it. Now that I'm older I am more polite. :)
    The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

My experience (in only a couple of weeks!) is the same as TN Mike: "Is that a real gun?"

It's pretty rare I OC but when I do/have no questions have been aked of me from those who obviously saw my sidearm.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I think a good answer would be... Yes, but if you don't mind, we're filming here.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

That is a great answer. I will have to use that one.
    Trying to find a Seattle injury lawyer.

I have my CCP for ID but it is not required to open carry so I hide it. I do not want to get stopped by LEOs asking why I carry cuz some sheeple called 911.

I've only opened carried once, and that was at my parents house the other day. I recently got a new 1911 and I haven't decided what holster to get yet, so all I have is a cheapy to get me by at the range until I figure it out. My mom asked me if I was breaking the law carrying that "huge thing" around.
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

Mine seems to be "is that a .45?" I carry a XD-45 Tac in a Don Hume 721 OT.

I mostly CC, but I OC sometimes, just because. Very few people have ever said anything. A few have glanced at my hip and gotten out of the way. A few times I've been asked if I'm a cop. Each time blurted out as I pass, without introduction or anything. So I've just looked down at them as I pass by (being 6'6", I generally have to look down) and politely say "No." I don't volunteer anything and keep walking.

When I have been asked why I carry, I don't answer if it is a hostile question, but I try to use the opportunity to educate if the question seems sincere.

Mostly, though, people don't notice or care. The times I've received questions have been very few.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Ive recently been open carrying more lately. Ive gotten the usual are you a cop or something comment, but today at a pizza joint I got, now get this.
    "Are you FBI?"

Only reason was because I was wearing my shoulder rig and a suit less the jacket (White shirt, Black Tie, Black Shoes, Black Pants).... Ive gotten a lot of comments,never that one before.....
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Like everyone else here, I make every attempt to keep "concealed carry" just that. Whether or not anyone has viewed my pistol(s) during the course of my everyday business, no one so far has questioned me on it, for which I'm grateful. However I have a shiny gold badge identification with the words "Private Investigator" stamped all over it and business cards to hand out (might create more business) - that should take care of any questions.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links