Approached while OC'ing - Page 2

Approached while OC'ing

This is a discussion on Approached while OC'ing within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have to ask. Whats the VA tuck??...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Approached while OC'ing

Have to ask. Whats the VA tuck??

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeeperSean View Post
    ...in VA can you CC in a non-serving restaurant?
    If you meant a non-alcohol-serving restaurant: yes, if you have a CC permit recognized by Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    Whats the VA tuck??
    Since concealed carry is illegal in a Virginia alcohol-serving venue, the choices are open carry or no carry. The VA tuck refers to choosing open carry by tucking the concealing garment behind the normally-concealed pistol.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Since concealed carry is illegal in a Virginia alcohol-serving venue, the choices are open carry or no carry. The VA tuck refers to choosing open carry by tucking the concealing garment behind the normally-concealed pistol.

Do it regularly.

Even with a IWB, as long as your carry can be identified as a firearm you are legal.

Depending on the cover I tuck a cover shirt behind the grip or pull the tuckable shirt up over the grip & slide.

One warning, however -- be sure to uncover before coming through the door and do not recover until after you get outside, especially at affairs like VCDL events, which can draw attention from antis. Also, take care where there is an outside seating/serving area, even in cold weather when not in use. The perimeter of the on-premises area should be marked, if outside the building.

BTW -- off-premises sales vendors are OK for CC.

BTW2 -- the CC restriction only applies to restaurants and clubs not all on-premises situations/venues.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Talking

Similar has happened to me. OC is allowed in Minnesota and I've found I prefer it to CC. I have been approached a dozen or so times by people who see my Glock 22 and ask if I'm a LEO. I explain I am not and almost every time a short Q & A ensues. A few times it's as simple as:

Them: 'Are you a cop?'
    Me: 'No.'
    Them: Continue with their business.

Glad your experience has been as good as mine. FWIW, I have open-carried, without problems, in the following locations:

* Liquor Stores
    * Bars
    * Grocery Stores
    * Malls
    * Through the investigations unit of a local Sheriff's Office (nobody even batted an eye!)
    * Gas Stations
    * While helping a stranded motorist.
    * While riding my motorcycle.

The attached image is from a ride to Stillwater, Minnesota with a buddy. You cannot see it here, but I was open-carrying that day. Stillwater is on the Minnesota-Wisconsin border, so we had to stay on the Minnesota side.
    Attached Images
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Surely your not referring to El Paso, TX? It is illegal to OC in Texas.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Surely your not referring to El Paso, TX?
    "El Paso Mexican Restaurant" has several locations in Virginia.

VIP Member
    I love a good OC story, I've always prefered CC, but I've been OCing a little more lately and have had good experiences with it. No such restrictions here in Utah with restraunts, CC pretty much where ever you want here. (Very few restrictions)
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    "El Paso Mexican Restaurant" has several locations in Virginia.

Oops! I had to read it again. BTW, how's the Mexican Food in VA?

VIP Member
    To be honest, it sucks! Having lived in SW OK for 18 years, I miss really good Tex Mex food.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I love a good OC story, I've always prefered CC, but I've been OCing a little more lately and have had good experiences with it. No such restrictions here in Utah with restraunts, CC pretty much where ever you want here. (Very few restrictions)
    I think the new governor-elect will take care of that restriction.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

VIP Member
    It is good in Chapel Hill, Nc.

Congrats on a positive OC experience! I always enjoy reading these type stories.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Quote Originally Posted by JeeperSean View Post
    ok now i haven't been clear on this when in VA can you CC in a non-serving restaurant? I visit my dad there and am never sure what to do about restaurant in general. And he is one of those types who has is permit and doesn't use it... so he's no help on knowing what's what.
    I tend to err on the side of caution - I always OC when going into any restaurant. That way I don't have to look for their ABC license posting.

None has asked me to leave yet. I'm sure it'll happen, though. Their loss. My husband has already told me we can't ever go to Olive Garden again because their corporate policy is to ask an armed citizen to disarm or leave.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    When the waiter returned with our drinks, he ask me if I was a LEO, to which I replied I wasn't. He said they noticed my gun and asked me why I carried. I simply told him for protection. His reply was, "Oh, Okay".
    "Gee, are you a criminal?" "No," I said. "Oh, okay."

You've gotta wonder: if satisfying an interest is all the benefit obtained by querying someone, then what's the point of even bringing it up? I can't fathom what people get from asking, if it doesn't confirm someone's a criminal or citizen anyway.

Reality is, it's not possible to know whether a criminal is in our midst unless such a person goes haywire. And, only if a criminal advertises in advance (by going openly), will it be even apparent that person's armed.

Thus, obviously, there is nothing to worry about unless actual overt actions of crime ensue.

It's a nutty world we live in, full of naivete and silliness.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riana View Post
    I tend to err on the side of caution - I always OC when going into any restaurant. That way I don't have to look for their ABC license posting.

None has asked me to leave yet. I'm sure it'll happen, though. Their loss. My husband has already told me we can't ever go to Olive Garden again because their corporate policy is to ask an armed citizen to disarm or leave.
    I open carry in Olive Garden all the time. The ones here in Richmond aren't posted, and no one has ever said anything to me about it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links