Defensive Carry banner

Approached while OC'ing

5K views 31 replies 25 participants last post by  langenc 
#1 ·
Wife and I went out to eat tonight at El Paso Mexican Restaurant. As many of you are aware, in Virginia CC is not allowed in places where alcohol is served, but OC is allowed. As I usually do I did the VA tuck and went in. We were seated, drink orders taken (ice tea) and we were talking while deciding on what to order.

When the waiter returned with our drinks, he ask me if I was a LEO, to which I replied I wasn't. He said they noticed my gun and asked me why I carried. I simply told him for protection. His reply was, "Oh, Okay". Nothing more was said by him or anyone else. No sheep ran screaming from the place, no MWAG calls, just business as usual.

BTW, this is not the first time I had OC'ed there, just the first time they noticed it I guess.

#2 ·
+1 Glad you didn't get hassled!

#3 ·
Nice! May I assume that you will be giving them more of your future business?:rolleyes:

#7 ·
I've done the VA tuck for the 11 years I've lived here in VA. Mostly here in the Richmond area where I live, but also the rest of the state as well, whenever traveling. I've never had any negative encounters while doing it. Either they don't notice/care, or feel I'm too old to cause any trouble! :rolleyes:

#8 ·
I usually tell them, "I'm just a regular person-just like you" when they ask me about my openly carried weapon.

Never have gotten the least bit of static or upturned noses.

Dirty

#12 ·
Good job educating the sheep... ah, I mean... public! :hand5:

#17 ·
...in VA can you CC in a non-serving restaurant?
If you meant a non-alcohol-serving restaurant: yes, if you have a CC permit recognized by Virginia.

Whats the VA tuck??
Since concealed carry is illegal in a Virginia alcohol-serving venue, the choices are open carry or no carry. The VA tuck refers to choosing open carry by tucking the concealing garment behind the normally-concealed pistol.

#16 ·
Have to ask. Whats the VA tuck??

#19 ·
Similar has happened to me. OC is allowed in Minnesota and I've found I prefer it to CC. I have been approached a dozen or so times by people who see my Glock 22 and ask if I'm a LEO. I explain I am not and almost every time a short Q & A ensues. A few times it's as simple as:

Them: 'Are you a cop?'
Me: 'No.'
Them: Continue with their business.

Glad your experience has been as good as mine. FWIW, I have open-carried, without problems, in the following locations:

* Liquor Stores
* Bars
* Grocery Stores
* Malls
* Through the investigations unit of a local Sheriff's Office (nobody even batted an eye!)
* Gas Stations
* While helping a stranded motorist.
* While riding my motorcycle.

The attached image is from a ride to Stillwater, Minnesota with a buddy. You cannot see it here, but I was open-carrying that day. Stillwater is on the Minnesota-Wisconsin border, so we had to stay on the Minnesota side.

Attachments

#22 ·
I love a good OC story, I've always prefered CC, but I've been OCing a little more lately and have had good experiences with it. No such restrictions here in Utah with restraunts, CC pretty much where ever you want here. (Very few restrictions)

#25 ·
I think the new governor-elect will take care of that restriction.

#29 ·
When the waiter returned with our drinks, he ask me if I was a LEO, to which I replied I wasn't. He said they noticed my gun and asked me why I carried. I simply told him for protection. His reply was, "Oh, Okay".
"Gee, are you a criminal?" "No," I said. "Oh, okay."

You've gotta wonder: if satisfying an interest is all the benefit obtained by querying someone, then what's the point of even bringing it up? I can't fathom what people get from asking, if it doesn't confirm someone's a criminal or citizen anyway.

Reality is, it's not possible to know whether a criminal is in our midst unless such a person goes haywire. And, only if a criminal advertises in advance (by going openly), will it be even apparent that person's armed.

Thus, obviously, there is nothing to worry about unless actual overt actions of crime ensue.

It's a nutty world we live in, full of naivete and silliness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.