NC OC questions

This is a discussion on NC OC questions within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took my CC class a couple weeks ago and I'm currently waiting on the permit. I've also been carrying around the house for a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NC OC questions

NC OC questions

I took my CC class a couple weeks ago and I'm currently waiting on the permit. I've also been carrying around the house for a few weeks - figuring out best carry position, getting used to it, seeing how well I can conceal, etc. - and I've gotten rather used to the feel. I work from home, so I have it with me pretty much all the time.

Late Saturday night, I had to make a run to the store. Of course, to remain legal, I disarmed before leaving. And I was not happy. Especially since it was Halloween night, and the store I was going to has been robbed a couple times this year already.

So I started thinking about OC, which led me to a couple questions:

First, is the "Virginia Tuck" legal for OC in North Carolina? I only have an IWB holster.

And second, what are the NC open carry laws, and what are the practicalities? I know NC is an "unrestricted" open carry state - but I've also heard that you can't go to a restaurant that serves alcohol, even OC, and I'm sure there are some other limitations. Also, I'm near Raleigh - are there any places that it simply wouldn't be wise to OC?

Thanks for the input!

2. Remove Ads

dude I would wait for your cc oc in nc is very vague but pretty much this is the jest of it. you are right cant carry were they sell and consume alcohol cant carry at movie theaters. or any were you pay an admission to get in. If someone sees you and they feel threatened they can call cops on you again if you were doing anything wrong the cop might not say anything or you fight it in court. here is a site for you to look it up
    NCDOJ
    Uly
    Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.

-- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author, in the LA Times 15 Oct 1992

VIP Member
    Be aware of this one:
    6. Going Armed To The Terror Of The People
    By common law in North Carolina, it is unlawful for a person to arm
    himself/herself with any unusual and dangerous weapon, for the purpose of terrifying
    others, and go about on public highways in a manner to cause terror to others. The
    N.C. Supreme Court states that any gun is an unusual and dangerous weapon for
    purposes of this offense. Therefore, persons are cautioned as to the areas they frequent
    with firearms.

I've seen it often enough in Johnston County, and specifically in Clayton, so I don't think it's too much of an issue there. I wouldn't even think about OC in Durham, Chapel Hill, or Cary - probably avoid Raleigh, too, even though I've been told it's not that big a deal by a Raleigh PO. I just wanted to know what the actual laws are.

There are no laws restricting or allowing OC. As I said on another board, follow the CC law for where you can carry and that will cover you. GATTTOTP is blown out of proportion. Try to find someone charged with it that was not doing something else stupid. Basically, I have seen one case that the person was only charged with GATTTOTP, and that was for discharging a firearm in public. IIRC, there is case law that state's OC is not GATTTOTP. And the only thing that OC meets is the dangerous weapon part. There is no intent, regardless of how scared someone claims to be. Yeah LEO COULD try to, but will it stick?

I OC around Hickory as often as I can. IANAL though.

I too wonder about all this. I live in Rowan County and have heard of others OC but I've never actually seen it before.
    "Shotgun bullets are bad for your health"
    -Ice Cube

Dont think I have seen anyone OC here around Ft Bragg area for me just easier to CC why give some one a chance to miss with me. I really Dont want extra attention
    Uly
    Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.

Quote Originally Posted by bwhunter65 View Post
    Dont think I have seen anyone OC here around Ft Bragg area for me just easier to CC why give some one a chance to miss with me. I really Dont want extra attention
    There are several guys over at Opencarry from Fayettnam. Carry however you choose, but they are out there.

I just recommend that anyone who OC's in NC get to know the applicable laws. Also have some answers ready to questions you might get. For me, it took some time to get up the nerve. But no bad experiences yet. Since I got my CC permit I don't get the chance as much. My wife prefers CC. When I want to go out and she wants to tag along I end up CC.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    ..... but I've also heard that you can't go to a restaurant that serves alcohol, even OC, and I'm sure there are some other limitations. Also, I'm near Raleigh - are there any places that it simply wouldn't be wise to OC?

Thanks for the input!
    You 'heard' this ?
    This should have been drilled in your CC class.
    Where did you take the course?
    Instructors should be instructing on OC as well.
    And yes there are laws restricting or allowing OC
    You can't CC in a bank, but you can OC if there is not signage.

In Raleigh you can OC just about anywhere that is legal and NOT marked with signage. In NC, it is a misdemeanor to carry in an area marked restricted. If caught it is NOT an "ask to leave" warning, you will get cited and you will loose your permit.
    Ritalin - So much easier than parenting.

I'n not too far from you as I live in Pikevilel but work in Goldsboro. I carry concealed every day but also see people OC evry so often. Never heard of anyone around here being harassed because they were OCing.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I took my CC class a couple weeks ago and I'm currently waiting on the permit. I've also been carrying around the house for a few weeks - figuring out best carry position, getting used to it, seeing how well I can conceal, etc. - and I've gotten rather used to the feel. I work from home, so I have it with me pretty much all the time.

Late Saturday night, I had to make a run to the store. Of course, to remain legal, I disarmed before leaving. And I was not happy. Especially since it was Halloween night, and the store I was going to has been robbed a couple times this year already.

So I started thinking about OC, which led me to a couple questions:

First, is the "Virginia Tuck" legal for OC in North Carolina? I only have an IWB holster.

And second, what are the NC open carry laws, and what are the practicalities? I know NC is an "unrestricted" open carry state - but I've also heard that you can't go to a restaurant that serves alcohol, even OC, and I'm sure there are some other limitations. Also, I'm near Raleigh - are there any places that it simply wouldn't be wise to OC?

Thanks for the input!
    Had a conversation the other night with a Sheriff's deputy about open carry...my conclusion was it is better to have a concealed handgun permit.
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

I've seen it often enough in Johnston County, and specifically in Clayton, so I don't think it's too much of an issue there. I wouldn't even think about OC in Durham, Chapel Hill, or Cary - probably avoid Raleigh, too, even though I've been told it's not that big a deal by a Raleigh PO. I just wanted to know what the actual laws are.
    I ran into/watched a guy at walmart in Brier Creek get questioned while he was OC. They were talking towards the front entrance while I pretended to rent a move from the big red box. I wasn't involved so I didn't get the entire story but the classic line was... The LEO said to whomever, hey this is the south not new york, there is probably 10 guys in this store right now that aren't cops that are carrying guns, maybe you should move back to where ever you came from.

Quote Originally Posted by ncglock View Post
    I ran into/watched a guy at walmart in Brier Creek get questioned while he was OC. They were talking towards the front entrance while I pretended to rent a move from the big red box. I wasn't involved so I didn't get the entire story but the classic line was... The LEO said to whomever, hey this is the south not new york, there is probably 10 guys in this store right now that aren't cops that are carrying guns, maybe you should move back to where ever you came from.
    Did he say that to the guy OC'ing or the one that complained?

Brier Creek is awfully close to Cary (Containment Area for Relocated Yankees), so its quite possible just such a relocated Yankee was the complainant.

I have a friend that OC's all the time. I'm really quite proud of him. He is one of those guys that really does know his rights and is willing to vocally defend them. I actually bought him the gun he carries for his birthday the year he opened his bar. He only had one handgun at the time, and it was too big for what he needed. He also carries at his bar (mostly concealed), but OCs most everywhere else (though he does have a CHP for when he wants to cover it). We had lunch the other day and he was OCing.

Anyway, he got thrown out of Wal-Mart in Garner (I think White Oak, but I'm not sure) for OCing. Police were not called, just one of the managers told him he had to leave. Its private property, so he did just that. However, being the guy he is, he didn't leave it at that. He pushed the issue up the chain until the general manager told him he was welcome in the Wal-Mart anytime, and if he wanted to OC while he was there, he was welcome to do that too.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

good for him talk to the top dog. Bet next time he walks in he will tell that manager to call his boss.
    Uly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links