Got nervous walking by a LEO while OCing tonight

This is a discussion on Got nervous walking by a LEO while OCing tonight within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I've posted before about my general uneasiness surrounding open carrying around my town. Usually, when I take the pup out for a walk, I'll ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got nervous walking by a LEO while OCing tonight

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar

So, I've posted before about my general uneasiness surrounding open carrying around my town. Usually, when I take the pup out for a walk, I'll strap on my kahr OWB and set out. This afternoon, the wife and I walked down the road past a car which was disabled on the sidewalk. Immediately, I became nervous about walking by a LEO while OCing (it is legal here). As I walked by, I noticed that the LEO wasn't really paying attn to us, he was too busy trying to get the car figured out.

If he noticed the gun, he didn't seem to care too much about it! That was a good step for me feeling more comfortable OCing while I'm still here. Too bad they don't allow OC in Texas...

- P
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    So, I've posted before about my general uneasiness surrounding open carrying around my town.
    - P
    Don't you have a license to carry concealed?

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Don't you have a license to carry concealed?
    No, I never applied here because I didn't have the funds handy.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    No, I never applied here because I didn't have the funds handy.
    Didn't your Az permit cover you in Colorado?
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Why is it that so many people get nervous around law enforcement while obeying the law?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Why is it that so many people get nervous around law enforcement while obeying the law?
    Maybe you just feel guilty?

Getting your permit would make things a LOT easier.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You'll get used to OC'ing. That's not meant to sound casual about carrying a loaded weapon, open, in public. And, I support your open carrying, period, even if you had a CCW permit.

OC'ing gets easier over time. Since a few members have posted a few messages I decided to OC the last 2 days while I was not working.

I walked to a local Del Taco not far from my apartment compex. No problem! The next day I walked to a McDonald's. Again, no problem! I got very few odd looks at all. It makes me wonder if we make too much ado of OC'ing!

I prefer to CC but once in a while it's nice to OC without any of the general public being too concerned. It's a good feeling under the circumstances.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I do a bit of both, just depends on the situation. Example, it took me 7 months before my father knew I had a permit or weapon. I OC'ed around him one day and I am not sure he noticed, but the drunks at the rental property sure did. The next day, I did the same, no reaction. He goes to yard sales alot, and stops at random. I wont OC at one because I am not sure how total strangers will react to someone bringing a firearm on their property. Also wont OC at the mall, otherwise, it just varies with me. I get the most nervous going into my local bank, not sure why, I know one of the bankers is a CHL holder and he knows I am as well, but the rest do not, BUT I have done it.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I believe it is the "10% factor" just look at posts about LEO over reacting to having a legal firearm in the car. 10% give the other 90% a bad rap...............

Except in Chitcago there it is the 10% getting a bad rap from the other 90%

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Didn't your Az permit cover you in Colorado?
    Nope, in Colorado you have to be a resident of the state the permit was issued from in order for them to honor it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

I have OC'ed in Mc Donalds and have had no problem.

I also OC while walking the dog, and have talked to some LEOs while doing so.

Usually they just have a "casual" chat with you and your on your way.
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny256 View Post
    Usually they just have a "casual" chat with you and your on your way.
    That is what I call the "LEO BUMP"; just like a BG will ask for a light, the time etc to gauge your reaction and decide if to continue the assault, just like a shark will literally bump an intended meal to decide if it is weak enough to attack.

LEO will engage in "casual" conversation to gauge your response, if you act suspicious you are likely to be investigated further.

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    I do a bit of both, just depends on the situation. Example, it took me 7 months before my father knew I had a permit or weapon. I OC'ed around him one day and I am not sure he noticed, but the drunks at the rental property sure did. The next day, I did the same, no reaction. He goes to yard sales alot, and stops at random. I wont OC at one because I am not sure how total strangers will react to someone bringing a firearm on their property. Also wont OC at the mall, otherwise, it just varies with me. I get the most nervous going into my local bank, not sure why, I know one of the bankers is a CHL holder and he knows I am as well, but the rest do not, BUT I have done it.
    Guy I OC Daily, in the bank, although I have closed two accounts at banks that didn't support my right to carry. Doesn't bother me, lots more banks out here to get new accounts at. I wouldn't worry about carrying at the yard sales, people who don't like it can always ask you to leave. I don't mind being asked to leave either, as I wouldn't want to spend money at a place that doesn't support my right to carry. Out here in Arizona recently a law allowing concealed carry in bars & resturaunts serving alcohol has started an uprising. The businesses that don't want people cc guns in to their locations have been busy putting up No Carry signs& they are losing money. A group that I belong to has been careful to leave No Guns No $$$ business cards and speak with managers in these no guns locations. I am glad for the No Gun signs, makes it easy to see just where I want to spend my money!
    Anyhow if you give open carry a try for awhile, you will eventually get so used to the stares that you won't even notice anymore. Then you can start getting used to the people who walk up to you and ask "Are you a policeman?" Pretty soon, you'll be memorizing lines to tell these people when they wonder "Why do you hafta carry that gun?" How about, "Tried carrying a cop, but they're just too heavy."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links