First OC in Louisiana

First OC in Louisiana

This is a discussion on First OC in Louisiana within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Me, my dad, and my son (who's 6) were headed to the shooting range. I put my Colt 1911 on my hip. We stopped at ...

First OC in Louisiana

Me, my dad, and my son (who's 6) were headed to the shooting range. I put my Colt 1911 on my hip. We stopped at the gas station on the way to grab some water and snacks. My dad goes CC and he said I should untuck my shirt and cover it, but I said not today, lets see how it goes. The girls at the counter didn't seem to notice as we were getting our things. They both got quiet as we approached the counter, but never said a word about the pistol. I said, "Good morning. How ya'll doing?" One said "Fine" and they seemed to be OK after that. Everything seemed to be going fine.

Then, as I was getting out my wallet, the chief of police walked in and my heart stopped. My pistol was on my hip facing the door. I said, "Morning." and he replied back the same. I couldn't see his reactions as he walked behind me, but my dad said he did a double- take and paused to get a better look. Then got in line behind us for a pack of smokes. We got our stuff and headed out with no problems. It wasn't til about a mile down road when my heart started back up. I think it was longer for my dad.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.

Cool story, I enjoyed reading about your experience. I hope someday I live in a state, or the OC weather here changes, such that I can open carry as well. Until then, it's conceal or go without, so I just conceal.

Good luck with your future OC adventures!

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Good to hear your time went smoothly. I had the same reaction as you the last time I OC'd passed an officer.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

I had the same chest pounding the first time I walked past an officer OC'ing.

Good for you! The first time OC'ing is the most difficult.

Dirty

Congrats on your mostly positive OC experiance. There are more of us out there than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by griz78 View Post
    Me, my dad, and my son (who's 6) were headed to the shooting range. I put my Colt 1911 on my hip. We stopped at the gas station on the way to grab some water and snacks. My dad goes CC and he said I should untuck my shirt and cover it, but I said not today, lets see how it goes. The girls at the counter didn't seem to notice as we were getting our things. They both got quiet as we approached the counter, but never said a word about the pistol. I said, "Good morning. How ya'll doing?" One said "Fine" and they seemed to be OK after that. Everything seemed to be going fine.

Then, as I was getting out my wallet, the chief of police walked in and my heart stopped. My pistol was on my hip facing the door. I said, "Morning." and he replied back the same. I couldn't see his reactions as he walked behind me, but my dad said he did a double- take and paused to get a better look. Then got in line behind us for a pack of smokes. We got our stuff and headed out with no problems. It wasn't til about a mile down road when my heart started back up. I think it was longer for my dad.
    I have read some about some OC experiences in LA that didnt go to well. Seemed most LEOs are turds about it.

Good to see thing went well for you.

Glad to see things went well!
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Quote Originally Posted by Ssmo View Post
    I have read some about some OC experiences in LA that didnt go to well. Seemed most LEOs are turds about it.

Good to see thing went well for you.
    Yup. I think it would be wise to CC in New Orleans. More likely to get at.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.

Links