Taco Bell+Open Carry=LEO's

This is a discussion on Taco Bell+Open Carry=LEO's within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry its so long. I'm 18 so i don't have the option of CCW. I have OC in Wal-greens about 3 times, but I'm in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taco Bell+Open Carry=LEO's

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar

Sorry its so long. I'm 18 so i don't have the option of CCW. I have OC in Wal-greens about 3 times, but I'm in and out so fast I don't consider them "real OC situations". So This is what i consider my first real open carry. I'm at taco bell with three of my friends. They all think it is cool that I have a firearm in case something bad goes down. (we live in a city that borders Detroit).

After we all ordered and finished eating. We had been sitting there for about 10 to 15 mins when I look over my shoulder and here comes 3 LEO's. One says "we need you to stand up," so i do "buddy you need to keep that concealed" i said i don't have a CCW I'm 18. He said "well your jacket was half covering it." i apologized and said i didn't know that it was covered when i sat down. "he said "can i see your id" i said sure i also had a pocket knife clipped on my pocket. Another LEO says "hold on i need to secure that knife." he took my knife and held it for the entire time.

I then got out my wallet and handed the first LEO my drivers license and Eagle Scout Card. He took 10 mins to go check my record(which i don't have one) in his squad card. The other two LEO's were standing there shooting the breeze with me about, hunting, guns, etc. One said "we aren't going to limit your 2ndAmend right just because people got nervous." Then another LEO shows up and was asking "what going on" and one LEO tells him. He then goes "okay no big deal" and leaves.

When the first LEO comes back he asks me why I'm carrying?' And I said Personal protection. He shakes his head and says " he doesn't advise me to do it, and that it is not smart because I'll get called on. Me and you know the laws and know you can do it but others don't." I said i didn't mind getting called on. I also apologized for holding them up on a "nervous" citizens call. I told him that i already spoke with the LEO in-charge at the police station a couple weeks back and he said I would be legal to do this.(which i knew already just wanted to see if they knew) So after trying to convince me it isn't a wise idea. They left and my friends and i carried on.

5mins later one of the Taco Bell employees comes out and asks "who called on you?" i said i don't know. I asked if they(employees) were concern with me being there and that I was carrying? They said no way, we don't care. So all ended well.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

They took your knife but not your gun? Or did I miss something?
    My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

nope just my knife. they gave it back. but like I'm going to use either one on them with 2 other LEO's standing right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    Sorry its so long. I'm 18 so i don't have the option of CCW. I have OC in Wal-greens about 3 times, but I'm in and out so fast I don't consider them "real OC situations". So This is what i consider my first real open carry. I'm at taco bell with three of my friends. They all think it is cool that I have a firearm in case something bad goes down. (we live in a city that borders Detroit).

After we all ordered and finished eating. We had been sitting there for about 10 to 15 mins when I look over my shoulder and here comes 3 LEO's. One says "we need you to stand up," so i do "buddy you need to keep that concealed" i said i don't have a CCW I'm 18. He said "well your jacket was half covering it." i apologized and said i didn't know that it was covered when i sat down. "he said "can i see your id" i said sure i also had a pocket knife clipped on my pocket. Another LEO says "hold on i need to secure that knife." he took my knife and held it for the entire time.

I then got out my wallet and handed the first LEO my drivers license and Eagle Scout Card. He took 10 mins to go check my record(which i don't have one) in his squad card. The other two LEO's were standing there shooting the breeze with me about, hunting, guns, etc. One said "we aren't going to limit your 2ndAmend right just because people got nervous." Then another LEO shows up and was asking "what going on" and one LEO tells him. He then goes "okay no big deal" and leaves.

When the first LEO comes back he asks me why I'm carrying?' And I said Personal protection. He shakes his head and says " he doesn't advise me to do it, and that it is not smart because I'll get called on. Me and you know the laws and know you can do it but others don't." I said i didn't mind getting called on. I also apologized for holding them up on a "nervous" citizens call. I told him that i already spoke with the LEO in-charge at the police station a couple weeks back and he said I would be legal to do this.(which i knew already just wanted to see if they knew) So after trying to convince me it isn't a wise idea. They left and my friends and i carried on.

5mins later one of the Taco Bell employees comes out and asks "who called on you?" i said i don't know. I asked if they(employees) were concern with me being there and that I was carrying? They said no way, we don't care. So all ended well.
    That's so kind of him not to limit your 2a rights, seeing he has no authority to do so to begin with, That's why they are called rights...
    Being polite is great but saying sorry, it wasn't your fault they were there to begin with.
    His personal feelings about carrying for self protection should be kept to himself. I would ask him to judge me all he wants as long as he keeps the verdict to himself...
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

This too has happened to me (not at Taco Bell) and this is what really pisses me off. You are on PRIVATE PROPERTY. Taco Bell, in this case, is in charge of that PRIVATE PROPERTY. What the heck do the cops have to do with it if it wasn't the persons in control of that PRIVATE PROPERTY that called? Why can't they follow the "chain of command" so to speak. Someone calls, they show up, they ask the persons in charge of the private property if there is an issue. If the persons in charge of that private property have no issue, then what business do the cops have of interfering if they see no evidence of a crime being committed.

In my case the owners of the private property I were on invited me, my friends and our firearms to come back anytime we wanted to (after the cops ejected me from their private property without their knowledge). So we notified the the chief of police that we (about 12 of us open carrying) were invited guests of the owners of the private property and that we would be gathering there, legally armed, for lunch and that they were welcome to join us for lunch, but any other interference would be taken as interference with the business owner's private business and there would be repercussions. They never showed up and we had a nice lunch.

At least the cops were decent in the way they treated you, except that they violated your 4th amendment rights by checking out your ID.

I am glad you open carry but how did you get to taco bell? If you drove you would have had to store the gun unload in the car, then when you got there you would have to load it and then holster it all while standing outside of Taco Bell and the car. That is a lot of gun handling in public. Even I might be concerned with it if I saw it.

Just curious. I don't want you to get into trouble, I also like to open carry at times.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...OR_CPL_HOLDERS

1. If I do not have a CCW permit, may I transport my pistol in a motor vehicle?

MCL 750.231a A person is now permitted to transport a pistol for a lawful purpose if the owner or occupant of the vehicle is the registered owner of the firearm and the pistol is unloaded and in a closed case in the trunk of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a trunk, the pistol may be in the passenger compartment of the vehicle unloaded and inaccessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

A 'lawful purpose' includes:

* While en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area.
    * While transporting a pistol to or from home or place of business and a place of repair.
    * While moving goods from one place of residence or business to another place of residence or business.
    * While transporting a licensed pistol to or from a law enforcement agency for the purpose of having a safety inspection performed (registering the pistol) or to have a law enforcement official take possession of the pistol.
    * While en route to or from home or place of business to a gun show or place of purchase or sale.
    * While en route to or from home to a public shooting facility or land where the discharge of firearms is permitted.
    While en route to or from home to private property where the pistol is to be used as permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    This too has happened to me (not at Taco Bell) and this is what really pisses me off. You are on PRIVATE PROPERTY. Taco Bell, in this case, is in charge of that PRIVATE PROPERTY. What the heck do the cops have to do with it if it wasn't the persons in control of that PRIVATE PROPERTY that called?
    The law gets fuzzy on "private property" issues when it comes to commercial establishments, and I'm sure state laws vary. While the Taco Bell is indeed private property, it is also a public gathering place and people can show up there without specific invitation or consent of the owners. That's what separates it from, say, someone's back yard. While there is no expectation of police "protection" in such a quasi-public place, neither is there an exclusion which prevents police from exercising their public safety duties there.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I'll bet a dime to a $10 bill that the guy who 'asked' you "Who called on you?" was the guy who called...I'm just sayin'...

Isn't Detroit a great town?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by ecbaatz View Post
    I am glad you open carry but how did you get to taco bell? If you drove you would have had to store the gun unload in the car, then when you got there you would have to load it and then holster it all while standing outside of Taco Bell and the car. That is a lot of gun handling in public. Even I might be concerned with it if I saw it.

Just curious. I don't want you to get into trouble, I also like to open carry at times.
    I forgot to mention that part. One LEO asked me how i transported it. I told him locked, unloaded, in the trunk. But it was dark so i don't think people could tell that i was loading up and holstering at the rear of my jeep.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Thought you had to be 21yrs old to own a handgun?

You have to be 21 to buy a handgun from a federally licensed dealer in Michigan. How ever family or personal sales you can be 18. I purchased it off of my father. What is b.s. is i can't buy ammo on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'll bet a dime to a $10 bill that the guy who 'asked' you "Who called on you?" was the guy who called...I'm just sayin'...
    +1 I feel certain of this....he who smelt it...dealt it...

Y What is b.s. is i can't buy ammo on my own.
    Well... the same BS that's been with us since 1968, courtesy of the late and unlamented (by me) Teddy Kennedy & posse.

Don't like it? Does it bother you that you could serve in the military and handle, arm and launch weapons of mass destruction, but can't buy a box of .38 Specials on your own? Then get movin' - join the NRA, GOA, JPFO or other civil rights organization that lobbies for YOUR rights to keep and bear arms. Let the elected officials that serve you know that their respect for the 2nd Amendment is a high priority for you when you step into the voting booth.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Why did you hand him your Eagle Scout card???
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I don't think I would OC even if I could (no OC in NY)...... I like to fly under the radar personally. I also like to know that I have the element of surprise.....

Of course in this case at 18 I supposed you had no option so do what you must.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links