An OC that I did not like.

This is a discussion on An OC that I did not like. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About a month ago, a contractor came to my home to fix the roof, and replace some water damaged carpet. He is in his 60's. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An OC that I did not like.

About a month ago, a contractor came to my home to fix the roof, and replace some water damaged carpet. He is in his 60's. I never met him until the work was actually being done. He came into my home, talked with my wife, and commented on my 505 scales sitting in my office. I use them for a paperweight these days.

My wife told me that he openly carried a pistol. No big deal. When I met him, he had it covered with a shirt worn over it, grunge style as it is known. No big deal. We were talking, and inevitably started to talk about reloading, and guns.

Then, he turned into an 11 yr old kid. He could not wait to pull his Glock 27 out and show it to me, show me the special SHERIFFS insignia that was on it BECAUSE he bought it from his son, a DEPUTY. No slant on the cops, but his guy was just blowing hot air about his connectons with them, as if it mattered to me.

I for one absolutely did not like for him to be pulling his gun from its holster and showing it like some damned kind of new toy. I was carrying my Glock 30 in my smartcarry, and he never had a clue.

My wife thought that he was just trying to let me know that he had a gun and could use it. If she was even remotely correct, then he is a real idiot. My children were not at home, or he'd have been sent down the road right away.

It is people like this that work against us much more than they ever help us with this cause.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I agree on that one. Nobody needs to be showing off their piece. It is not gentleman like.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Very stupid, I would not trust anyone who pulls a loaded weapon out like that. I would have sent him packing (no pun intended).
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

VIP Member
    Pretty darn unprofessional and reckless I'd say.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Yeah, it needs to stay put unless you have to use it, or need to try out holsters. I'm guessing he did not clear the thing either.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    My customers have no idea I carry. I am sure they could not care less but to display my firearm in public just sreams "hey.. Look At Me"

Agreed. it just is not gentleman like.

DC Founder
    I think I would have told him to re-holster it. Having it is one thing, pulling it out and showing it off is a little different....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

If I were you, being as I didn't know him and it's my property, I would've told him to leave the gun at home before he came to my property.

If he had pulled his gun, like he did on you I would've politely asked him to set the gun down. After he did so, I would most likely "clear" it, disassemble it and put all his bullets in a Ziploc Bag, and his slide/frame in another. Then I would be inclined to give him his property back and tell him to get the %^$# off my property.

His 2A rights don't trump my Property Rights. If he was concealed, and I noticed a "bulge" or printing that I could reasonably determine to be a gun, no big deal. The big deal came about with the open carry and the pulling of the gun.

God, I hate idiots.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    If I were you, being as I didn't know him and it's my property, I would've told him to leave the gun at home before he came to my property.

If he had pulled his gun, like he did on you I would've politely asked him to set the gun down. After he did so, I would most likely "clear" it, disassemble it and put all his bullets in a Ziploc Bag, and his slide/frame in another. Then I would be inclined to give him his property back and tell him to get the %^$# off my property.

His 2A rights don't trump my Property Rights. If he was concealed, and I noticed a "bulge" or printing that I could reasonably determine to be a gun, no big deal. The big deal came about with the open carry and the pulling of the gun.

God, I hate idiots.

Biker
    Ditto and Double Ditto
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Honestly, I do not see that much harm here. He was probably excited that he met another pro-gun guy. However, he should of asked permission to withdraw the gun instead of just doing it.

JMO

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyT View Post
    Honestly, I do not see that much harm here. He was probably excited that he met another pro-gun guy. However, he should of asked permission to withdraw the gun instead of just doing it.

JMO
    Pretty scary if you don't. To me that means you condone pulling a loaded weapon to (show) people. His actions reeked with safety issues that could have very well have ended someones life.
    Even had he been a trusted friend showing his gun it was done so without proper safety precautions. A very stupid move on any level.JMHO
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

VIP Member
    I think he was getting some kick out of scaring you. That bit about sheriff's insignia and his son was well over the top. He was trying to make himself look big.

If he is not the owner of the business you contracted with, ask that he not be sent back. No need to trash him, just tell the owner you would prefer that someone else do the work. If he is the owner, maybe you can let him continue the work, but be sure wife and kids aren't home when he is there; just you two.

Personally, I think there is something loose upstairs with this guy. You don't open carry in a stranger's home. You don't display and handle in a careless manner, ever anywhere, let alone in a stranger's (customer's) home.

What kind of work does this guy do? I'm asking because maybe he is used to working alone at construction sites and OC might be appropriate for the type of locations where he normally goes. OTOH, anyone who routinely goes to customer's homes would know better than to OC.

And some people wonder why the Samuari code prohibits even showing an inch of your sword blade, except to use it.

Bruce

BTW, the guy was a monumental jerk for pulling that stunt.
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Frame View Post
    About a month ago, a contractor came to my home to fix the roof, and replace some water damaged carpet. He is in his 60's. I never met him until the work was actually being done. He came into my home, talked with my wife, and commented on my 505 scales sitting in my office. I use them for a paperweight these days.

My wife told me that he openly carried a pistol. No big deal. When I met him, he had it covered with a shirt worn over it, grunge style as it is known. No big deal. We were talking, and inevitably started to talk about reloading, and guns.

Then, he turned into an 11 yr old kid. He could not wait to pull his Glock 27 out and show it to me, show me the special SHERIFFS insignia that was on it BECAUSE he bought it from his son, a DEPUTY. No slant on the cops, but his guy was just blowing hot air about his connectons with them, as if it mattered to me.

I for one absolutely did not like for him to be pulling his gun from its holster and showing it like some damned kind of new toy. I was carrying my Glock 30 in my smartcarry, and he never had a clue.

My wife thought that he was just trying to let me know that he had a gun and could use it. If she was even remotely correct, then he is a real idiot. My children were not at home, or he'd have been sent down the road right away.

It is people like this that work against us much more than they ever help us with this cause.
    Dont see a problem if he wants to show off his gun.

As long as he unloads it and asks for permission...

Otherwise he needs to get a brain.

Its one thing to be asked to see your sidearm and only then check for who is in the area, unholster it, clear it and hand it over with the slide open, mag still removed. Its a whole 'nother deal to just uncover, unholster and display with it loaded. I hate to see someone whose actions reflect badly upon those of us who carry responsibly.
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links