OC shortly before/after work.

This is a discussion on OC shortly before/after work. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that when I carry outside of work its my business, and people at work know I carry off work hours... I'm not too ...

Thread: OC shortly before/after work.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Question OC shortly before/after work.

I know that when I carry outside of work its my business, and people at work know I carry off work hours... I'm not too worried about this scenario otherwise, just shortly before and after work.

Lets say I'm headed to work and I decide to get coffee at Sheetz before hand and I bump into a co-worker (or boss) who is getting coffee as well. I am OC and we both have to be to work in 15 minutes. The co-worker (boss) knows I'm obviously headed to work. They also know darn well that I have to have my gun with me while I am at work (or in the car). The company has a strict no guns policy. They can put 2 and 2 together.

My question is this, given that scenario... Do you guys worry about this? Do you CC shortly before or shortly after work to avoid this potential problem?

2. Remove Ads

I do take that into consideration, mainly because I prefer to keep the fact that I am carrying (even if to/from work) to myself. Most people at work know that I have a permit to carry and own firearms.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Don't you have a concealed carry permit?

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Don't you have a concealed carry permit?
    I do have a license to carry, and will conceal if needed, but I'm generally an open carrier. I'm more or less wondering what other open carriers do in this situation.

VIP Member
    On my way to work and on my way home I always OC. Where I work does not have a firearms policy, but even if they did it wouldn't matter, since the parking lot is shared with 7 other tenants in a building.

They can't illegally search your car at work without a warrant. Either don't worry about it or conceal.

Heck, if the guy saw you OC on the weekend he would suspect that you keep it in your car when you are at work.

Another OC dilemma...
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    the only concern i would have is that you are fairly openly advertising that you are leaving a firearm in your vehicle...if there is no security in the lot you may be in for a rude surprize some day...

if it is a concern of yours maybe you should cc to and from work...generally if it bothers you there is a problem with it...

Go CC full time . It would solve all your problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    Go CC full time . It would solve all your problems.

No can do... OC is my preference. I only CC when I need to i.e. daycare.

V10
    I have never had to worry about this. At my last job the owner let me keep my gun in the safe next to his during work hours. At my current job, all the employees and the owner know I carry and I park right next to the entrance of the shop, literally three steps from the door, so I have no problem keeping it in my car. When I close at night I keep it under the register. I've got a pretty good set up.

I guess if it was ever a problem... I would just explain to the person that, IF I really wanted to kill all of you I wouldn't be carrying my gun in plain view, I'd have it thug-tucked. That's just stupid.

I do not stop on the way to work. If I know I will be stopping after work I take a shirt to change out of my company shirt. If I forget the shirt change I usually just CC. Don't want to be seen OC'ing in company uniform. But honestly I don't stop much before or after. My boss carries and the guy under him had a CCP in another state. I know where they stand, but it's other employees I'm not sure about.

Links