Why no loaded guns in cars where legal to OC

This is a discussion on Why no loaded guns in cars where legal to OC within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; IN my state you are legally allowed to OC but not have a loaded firearm in your car. I have a permit so it doesn't ...

Thread: Why no loaded guns in cars where legal to OC

IN my state you are legally allowed to OC but not have a loaded firearm in your car. I have a permit so it doesn't really apply to me, but does anyone know a good reason or better yet the legal reason for this? Sounds like a lot of gun handling in public to go anywhere and how would you even think of taking public transportation ie taxi bus train ect. Also anytime Ive ever seen anyone OCing around here (wallywolrld ect) i have yet to see anyone with a magazine in their weapon is there a reason for this i am unaware of ... thanks

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Don't know why, but a lot of states that are supposedly "open carry" prohibit loaded pistols in vehicles. My state and a few others do allow unlicensed carry of loaded pistols in vehicles, which to me is a requirement for a true open-carry state. (Yes, I am aware that Denver prohibits OC outside one's vehicle, so even CO is not a perfect OC state.)

When we prevail in McDonald v Chicago and "keep and bear arms" must be acknowledged by states and local governments as an individual right, all these types of restrictions will be challenged in court and eliminated.

Administrator
    These laws were knee jerk reactions when drive by shootings became popular. Also, it gives LE a little more leverage when for the investigation of certain crimes too.

Right or wrong, that was the thinking behind such laws.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    +1 Sixto
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I hope the chicago cases help out... i want to OC in my jeep that would be nice.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

WA is the same way. It's considered a concealed weapon if it's in your car, even if visible. A concealed pistol license alleviates the issue.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

V10
    SIXTO beat me to it. It's just one more crime to charge drive by shooters with.
    Sorry 'bout that... He's trained to attack shopping carts for some reason.

VIP Member
    Another option, (albeit I think SIXTO has the main one pegged) is that they may be left over from hunting laws/regulations.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Legislation doesn't have to make sense

There are laws all over the country - and federal laws - that are contradictory.

What happens is a law is passed to address a particular issue. As DaveH mentions, some may be to address shooting game animals from a vehicle. Then another law is passed - say issuing concealed weapons permits. So the two laws are sometimes in conflict; this laws says you can't, that law says you can.

I don't think many laws are intentionally contradictory for the purpose of 'catching' otherwise legal folks. (Not to say some laws don't target legal actions and make them illegal and admitting there's so many laws dang near everything is illegal in one form or another.)

What needs to happen is the various legislatures is to examine the extant laws for obsolescence and self-contradictions. Fat chance. Legislators are too busy 'passing legislation' to impress voters.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    WA is the same way. It's considered a concealed weapon if it's in your car, even if visible. A concealed pistol license alleviates the issue.
    In WA, you can have your pistol unloaded when you transport it in a car (nothing in the pipe and mag is removed), and you DO NOT have to have a CPL to do so. You can openly carry your firearm without a license here in WA State.

Quote Originally Posted by swatspyder View Post
    In WA, you can have your pistol unloaded when you transport it in a car (nothing in the pipe and mag is removed), and you DO NOT have to have a CPL to do so. You can openly carry your firearm without a license here in WA State.
    That's correct. However, the OP's question is specifically about a loaded firearm.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    These laws were knee jerk reactions when drive by shootings became popular. Also, it gives LE a little more leverage when for the investigation of certain crimes too.

Right or wrong, that was the thinking behind such laws.
    In some states it goes farther back, has to do with poachers and game laws as well.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links