Discussion with another TN HCP holder and his badge

This is a discussion on Discussion with another TN HCP holder and his badge within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think we all know the general concensus regarding CCW or HCP badges. I merely want to share a conversation I had with another TN ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion with another TN HCP holder and his badge

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar

Discussion with another TN HCP holder and his badge

I think we all know the general concensus regarding CCW or HCP badges. I merely want to share a conversation I had with another TN HCP holder while in a local gun shop yesterday.

I have seen this gentleman in the gun shop on several occasions and each time I have noticed him wearing a silver shield next to his OWB holstered 1911. I could tell by the shape of the badge that he was not Memphis PD, Shelby County SD or any other local area LEO as recognized by the shape of his badge.

Yesterday I struck up a conversation with him and told him I have seen mixed reviews on various websites like this one regarding wearing a "Handgun Carry Permit" badge and asked him if he had experienced any negative encounters while wearing his badge. He replied that he had not and was actually encouraged by several LEO's to wear one, and here is his reason why...

His job requires him to carry large amounts of cash, (he re-loads ATM's that are placed in convience stores in the Memphis area). He is not a security guard or armored car courier, just a HCP holder that carries for self defense while doing his job. He claims he was told that by wearing a HCP badge, it would put the "sheeple" at ease he comes in contact with. "They see the gun and badge together and assume I'm legal to be carrying a gun, no questions asked."

Keep in mind that Tennessee is an open carry state with a permit and I too often OC, especially in warmer months. I thought about his response and compared it to an OC experience I had a few months ago at our local Walmart, here's the link http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...n-walmart.html. If you recall...I had 3 different people come up to me and ask if I was a policeman. I replied each time, "No, I just have a permit to carry."

I am not posting this story as an advocate of these badges, but after this conversation, I can see that by having one, his OC encounter with "sheeple" was much different than mine.
    Proud NRA member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I've always been of the opinion that they are a nice idea in theory, but in practice can lead to some nasty situations.

I guess the wisdom of wearing one of these is dependent entirely on the attitude of any and all LEOs one may come in contact with.

If they're all cool with it, then great. But it only takes one with a differing opinion to arrest the carrier for impersonation...

Administrator
    OK - Can we please keep this particular thread focused on topic to BADGE & The Perception Of Said Badge By Everyday People And Strangers On The Street. Good or Bad? - Worthwhile or Not?....for that specific purpose.

Because otherwise it's going to end up being a thread exactly like a myriad of other CCW Badge threads that we have no shortage of having been posted in the past.
    Thanks.

I don't have a badge so I don't have any experience to fall back on. Does any one on the forum carry a concealed weapons permit/license badge? If so, what is their experience?
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    ok...good from the perspective that people may see him as a law enforcement officer and not question the fact that he is carrying a firearm...

ok...bad from the perspective that people might see him as a law enforcement officer and expect him to fight crime...and their reaction when he tells them hes not a law enforcement officer and they ask him why he wears a badge?...

your guess...from the op's description it sounds like it has its advantages and makes perfect sense...especially in the particular job he has...

i juts dont want o be around if it goes south on him...

i just bought my wallet badge today. and plan on buying one for my belt on the badge it says concealed weapons permit on it in big letters so leos cant confuse it with other badges but for the jobs i do it helps

I'd like to see some statistics on the average age of people who actually carry a CCW badge, as well as the length of time they've been carrying weapons on their person, openly or concealed.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Staying on topic as much as I can.

There is a monster big bertha of a difference in my humble little opinion between displaying a badge, next to an openly carried firearm for the purpose of fooling the ignorant.

&

Buying a badge and carrying it in a wallet, concealed - with a concealed pistol - withthe intention of showing it to someone in authority. So that you may display it on the occasion of a self defense shooting to say you are the good guy and "No, officer, (your honor members of the jury) it wasn't pre-meditated."

Much like the lawful carry and use of a firearm, it has a lot to do with the person in control of an inanimate object.

If you're intentions are mall-ninja-ry the badge is a no go.
    Working as an (armed) guard - same as wearing a security guard badge.

In Arizona you need to be licensed to use a badge, even the mall guards have a guard card.

if people look at you and think you look like a professional then, assuming it's legal, go ahead with the CCW badge. If you have a certain Paul blarted-gecko 45ness to yourself you should probably forego the piece of tin.

Was that insensitive in any way?
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M203Sniper View Post
    Staying on topic as much as I can.

There is a monster big bertha of a difference in my humble little opinion between displaying a badge, next to an openly carried firearm for the purpose of fooling the ignorant.

&

Buying a badge and carrying it in a wallet, concealed - with a concealed pistol - withthe intention of showing it to someone in authority. So that you may display it on the occasion of a self defense shooting to say you are the good guy and "No, officer, (your honor members of the jury) it wasn't pre-meditated."

Much like the lawful carry and use of a firearm, it has a lot to do with the person in control of an inanimate object.

If you're intentions are mall-ninja-ry the badge is a no go.
    Working as an (armed) guard - same as wearing a security guard badge.

In Arizona you need to be licensed to use a badge, even the mall guards have a guard card.

if people look at you and think you look like a professional then, assuming it's legal, go ahead with the CCW badge. If you have a certain Paul blarted-gecko 45ness to yourself you should probably forego the piece of tin.

Was that insensitive in any way?
    M203Sniper...I think you hit it. This guy's job is to go in and out of convenience stores reloading $$'s in ATM's. As if the 1911 is not enough of a deterant, maybe the added badge will make someone think twice about knocking him in the head and taking his sack full of dough.
    Proud NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I'd like to see some statistics on the average age of people who actually carry a CCW badge, as well as the length of time they've been carrying weapons on their person, openly or concealed.
    Young with little experience would be my guess.

Like someone pointed out carrying a badge on a badge backer next to your gun on your belt is one thing,a wallet badge holder would have absolutely no use to a civilian
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

a wallet badge holder would have absolutely no use to a civilian
    police officers are civilians.

A concealed "badge" is no use if you intend to display it to an informed person - someone who recognizes it as not a lawman's badge.

this is the only non-civilian badge I have ever worn, I was a combat pencil sharpener though not an MP.

"Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

For MOST people who carry, a badge is not a good idea. Most LE take a dim view of non-LEOs with badges-kind of a "turf" thing. For special circumstances, like the ATM guy, it works well.
    I prefer to carry concealed, so it's a non-issue with me. But, since TN is open carry (with permit) I see no reason anyone should question you, anymore than they would assume you are driving a car without a license.

I could see one maybe on your belt right next to your CONCEALED firearm.Just in the event that maybe your shirt rides and a sheep sees the firearm and then they might see the badge badge next to it and just dismiss it.

That is the only use I could maybe see for it.

Wallet badge= bad idea in my opinion.

Sorry if i swayed off topic.
    When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - Thomas Jefferson

mkh
    I can see a use for carrying it on your belt next to your concealed weapon in case you accidentally expose it. But I see no use for it if you carry OC or if you intend to keep the badge in your wallet.

I'm all for putting people at ease but not offending the LEOs.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links