Funny little conversation with me neighbor

This is a discussion on Funny little conversation with me neighbor within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't yet have my chp. I'm signed up for the class, but don't have it yet. I've been open carrying a few places; the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Funny little conversation with me neighbor

Funny little conversation with me neighbor

I don't yet have my chp. I'm signed up for the class, but don't have it yet. I've been open carrying a few places; the gas station across the street, mcdonalds, thats about it. Never had an issue. I also carry it around my house. No big deal right?

I was outside on my balcony that is adjacent to the neighbors. They had some people over and the home owner was outside smoking a cigarette, just like I was. I had my shirt up (I've been checking myself so that it is truly open) over the holster on my hip.

Conversation went something like this:
    "Is that a gun?"
    "Yeah"
    "Why are you carrying it?"
    "Because it's my right as a citizen, and I choose to carry it"
    "I'm not sure if that's safe"
    "Safe for what, me or you?"
    "Moreso my family"
    "So you feel less safe that a sane person has a gun and chooses to carry it, versus some of the thugs out there?"

He flicked his cig and went inside after a short silence. I can understand his side to a point, but I also understand that I feel safer carrying than without, and it is my right whether he likes it or not. Either way I feel like I came off as an *******. Oh well I guess?
    $cris@caferacer>wakeup.sh
    sudo apt-get install caffeine
    Password:
    Unpacking...
    Caffeine installed correctly
    $cris@caferacer>startday.sh

2. Remove Ads

Oh well I guess?
    Depends, were you good neighbors before?

Sounds like you gave him something to think about.

I'm sure he was just concerned about you shooting through the walls and hitting him or his by either an accident or in defense of yourself... Obviously he's a concerned neighbor for his safety from you... Thing is, when you live in particularly an apartment, your neighbors actions affect you to some degree, even if he goes to sleep in his chair with a cigarette in his mouth and catches the place on fire...
    I'd say you need to get to know your neighbor a little better so he can get to know you better and in the mean time, try not to scare your neighbors. Maybe be a little more low key.
    You have rights, but so does he, both are legitimate.

I was wearing a side arm one time as a security person when a customer asked me why I had a gun on, I simply replied "for your protection", nothing more was said... People have questions, we should have solid answers and do our best to instill trust and set a good example.
    “Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.”

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”

Sigmund Freud

The safety of your family out weighs his misguided concerns.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    The safety of your family out weighs his misguided concerns.
    I don't really think they are that misguided, he has a real concern, but that should not stop someone from exercising his right to protect himself. It would be best for all, if Machina could get to know his neighbor better and possible address his neighbors concerns. If his neighbor is adamant against firearms, at least he tried the diplomatic approach. He actually has the opportunity to turn a potential "gun hater" into a believer that way. It would ultimately be good for all of us 2nd Amendment practitioners.
    “Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.”

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”

Sigmund Freud

Where in Richmond?

I live in the west end and despite all of the stories on OpenCarry, I have never done it. I just find concealed easier and there is never a hassle.
    Ten Simple Rules of Life as a Gunfighter:
    #2: Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.
    #10: Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

I live in VA near VA Tech and I've open carried a lot in my town with no hassle. I also have my CC and mostly conceal. I had a lady that works in a convenience store I frequent ask me one time why I carry a gun and I replied, "because it's easier than carrying a police officer." She laughed and seems very comfortable with it as I'm a regular. She knows whether she can see it or not that I always have one.

Invite your neighbor over for a beer and casually discuss gun safety, your reasons, gun laws, etc. if he seems open to it. If he's not open to discussing it, let it go by just saying, "I'm exercising my right to legally defend myself and I take that responsibility very seriously. Everyone has to decide for themselves how they defend themselves and thier family. I assure you that I exercise safe gun handling practices." That's about all you can do...just be cool about it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I would certainly try to strike up another conversation, perhaps if even over a beer on the balcony...you may make a new convert.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Smile

I'd suggest that your conversation take place with a non-alcoholic beverage. Alcohol is involved in too many problem situations to use it as a warming up beverage when there is a possible conflict involved as in your situation. Offer your neighbor some coffee, tea, lemonade or some other NAB to break the ice. Then ask your neighbor what plans he has to defend his home and family from crime. Maybe the two of you can collaborate on some mutual aid and security plans.

Then I suggest that if you haven't already, that you invest in a .223/5.56 carbine and some Hornady 60 grain TAP ammo for home defense--less chance of it penetrating your walls and his than your pistol bullets.

Good luck.
    Obligation of Carry by Nutnfancy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gIHDHZf1TA

Quote Originally Posted by Goodtime Charlie View Post
    I'd suggest that your conversation take place with a non-alcoholic beverage. Alcohol is involved in too many problem situations to use it as a warming up beverage when there is a possible conflict involved as in your situation. Offer your neighbor some coffee, tea, lemonade or some other NAB to break the ice. Then ask your neighbor what plans he has to defend his home and family from crime. Maybe the two of you can collaborate on some mutual aid and security plans.

Then I suggest that if you haven't already, that you invest in a .223/5.56 carbine and some Hornady 60 grain TAP ammo for home defense--less chance of it penetrating your walls and his than your pistol bullets.

Good luck.
    What is this TAP you speak of? I have a RRA M4 and can't find them anywhere.

20/20 hindsight from someone who can sometimes enjoy getting into it with the determined ignorant:
    "Safe for who, me or you?" is a challenge which put him on the defensive and smart aleky (not meant to bash you, just the way it is). It can also be taken to mean you have no concern for his safety, at least with respect to carrying a firearm. Not saying this is true, just how it can come across.

I would ask "how is it not safe?" - open ended questions open discussion and give the guy a chance to express his particular concerns and gives you an opportunity to address them.

If you're on your balcony, you don't have to OC, just sayin'.

Hornady TAP ammo is the latest in police rounds, however, a LEO firearms instructor I know said it was recalled for failure to perform as intended a few months ago. No, I don't have any add'l info on that.

If it were me (this is just how I operate), I would invite him over just to get to know each other a little better and offer "a beer, soft drink, tea" as a courtesy and then follow his lead...not "a beer or twelve." Responsibility applies to alcohol just like firearms...and the two specifically do not mix. I would also not have my firearm in view during the invitation or conversation. I have settled many issues over A (1, one, singular, as in only 1, not more than 1) beer. I've also seen irresponsible consumption of alcohol cause many problems as well. If he said, "sure, I'll have a tea," then I would probably also have a tea. I'd ask questions about him and his family, his job, interests, etc. (people seem to open up when you are asking about them...people like to talk about themselves) and not just jump right into the real topic. Go round about it and wait for a good opportunity to bring it up casually. Play it cool.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Hmm... two people-luh... attempting a pithy debate-tuh... about what is safe-fuh..., whilst inhaling known carcinogens-suh.... "Can I get a witness-sss-sss-sss?"

Others chime in to suggest that mutual imbibition of intoxicants is the only logical path to resolution.

Sehr interessant. Ja, ja... das is most ruhvielunk.

"Thanks for telling me how you feel. If something bad happens over there I certainly won't come over with my gun and scare you more. It's certainly possible that 911 may respond in time!"

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links